Sign in to follow this  
Broseph_Stalin90

Steam Workshop destroying everything

So today I subscribed to a new addon (Project Opfor) after recently downloading RHS on workshop. My problem came about as I launched Arma today, it said all of my addons from the workshop were being updated, something like 28GB. The second part of this problem is that it started allocating space and downloading in the wrong damn drive, my C:/ drive that doesn't even have Arma 3 installed on it! So my first question, is how do I make Arma 3 workshop download shit to the right bloody drive again? I've tried unsubscribing, but no luck, and if I get this sorted, how will I be certain workshit won't redownload all my addons again at random?

I also have noticed that despite uninstalling workshop mods, I still see them under workshop/content under my D:/ drive that contains Arma 3. Things are all kinds of fucked up for no reason, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

I can suggest letting it download onto your C:/ drive and then moving the !workshop folder or downloaded content over to your Arma 3 Directory.

This is very typical with arma 3 ....  seems u gotta know all the "special tricks " to make the game work... i almost said properly .....  but it NEVER works properly.

I have 3000 hours playing arma 3... today , i call it quits. so sick of reverifying files  and downloading files it says i need , just to find out i didnt need  them.

This is , by far , the most finicky game i have ever TRIED to play!   if you work hard for you're money then this might not be the game for you because you cant play it

the way you think you should be able to.

Another fix for the WS redownloading mods is to un-subscribe and subscribe back to the affected items.

• Like 1

Yep found this same problem as well. I just wish that Steam would say put mods in the !Workshop folder instead of the other one that you have to decipher the mod ID from the workshop page in order to locate where the dang things are in your hard drives.

12 hours ago, Taime said:

This is very typical with arma 3 ....  seems u gotta know all the "special tricks " to make the game work... i almost said properly .....  but it NEVER works properly.

I have 3000 hours playing arma 3... today , i call it quits. so sick of reverifying files  and downloading files it says i need , just to find out i didnt need  them.

This is , by far , the most finicky game i have ever TRIED to play!   if you work hard for you're money then this might not be the game for you because you cant play it

the way you think you should be able to.

Welcome to Bis forums.

Have you tried downloading mods from Armaholic instead, it is the manual way, since forever i never had issues that way, considering you have the many hours you do you would know, or not?

I think its a workshop issue in terms of how it installs mod files for Arma3, and not an arma3 issue in particular, as says so here https://feedback.bistudio.com/T122973

So you would chuck a good game over something that has nothing to do with Arma3?

Only thing that is finicky is steam.

All Arma game as complex as they are, are the same none the less in terms of how you install mods, the key thing is if you dont install a mod correctly and you are getting missing file errors then

its your mode of installation thats the issue, and not the game to blame, im just saying, i never cared for the "automatic" installation method, i lke to get my hands on the files and know what is what and where,

and i hate guessing games.

Am i a fan boy, maybe, i probably am since i been in the sticks since day 1 of the series, but having 3,000hrs in Arma3 you of all people should have a very decent idea of whats possible with this game,

the mod installation issue your dealing with is minor, imo there no other military game that comes close to what this game and series has to offer.

Sorry for taking this a bit off subject.

I've had this problem for months and still waiting for a fix.

I love the download speeds from Steam Workshop but seriously, it is retarded on how it handles symbolic name creation and the overall disk space usage X to download, Y to unpack, Z to backup then setting up the actual mod folders. 

I wish there was an alternative way to just use Steam as a download server to download the mod itself then rename the folders to @whatever in the root ARMA 3 folder. That would be enough for me.

shouldn't that be possible already though? i mean you still have the issue of cryptic folders and locations but once you make a copy, it should be under your full control. please correct me if i'm wrong.

i haven't had issues with it for a while now but i had in the past and i'd love a way to be safe especially for large mods like CUP and RHS. i'm thinking having them subscribed and let it update and all that but also having a local copy of the last working version in case something goes wrong.