Sign in to follow this  
redarmy

any way to make area free from fire?

I am seeking anyones opinion here as to how best i can go about making a zone free from engagements.

The basic idea is i want the friendly base to not come under attack from helos or jets which are most likely going to be able to spot units at that base with ease.

The friendly base will consist of various ground and air assets which i need to be left untouched while they are in the base area which covers approximatly a 100 meter radius.But once friendly units leave the base,they should be able to be attacked,and upon returning to base,ignored again by any threat which can see them.

I cannot find any method which can flexibly achieve this and i see no way to temporarily hide units once they have been shown/or even switching from set captive to enemy,to set captive.

I do NOT want to man my base with a load of AA so that is not an option.

Any one with any good ideas are welcome to share,cheers.

setCaptive should work (I know you said it doesn't but it does) but setting up two invulnerable AAs with infinite ammo would look better than an enemy air unit just ignoring you as soon as you cross an imaginary line.

Just now, theend3r said:

setCaptive should work but setting up two invulnerable AAs with infinite ammo would look better than an enemy air unit just ignoring you as soon as you cross an imaginary line.

I know...infact i would love to see any air threat react realisticly and high tail it outa that AO knowing it has good AA,but ehh...AI pilots are more concerned with target fixation than self preservation

12 minutes ago, redarmy said:

I know...infact i would love to see any air threat react realisticly and high tail it outa that AO knowing it has good AA,but ehh...AI pilots are more concerned with target fixation than self preservation

Not if you set them to careless, which btw sounds like a great idea. Just get all enemies into an array and set them to careless. Vehicles with turrets might still get you but you're safe otherwise.

Just now, theend3r said:

Not if you set them to careless, which btw sounds like a great idea. Just get all enemies into an array and set them to careless. Vehicles with turrets might still get you but you're safe otherwise.

Thanks for idea

unfortunatley i need them actually engaging friendly units in all other areas of the map

you would need to elaborate more on what exactly is not working with setCaptive. i'm still not convinced that it'S not a solution. maybe it is limited in terms of vehicles vs units?

14 minutes ago, bad benson said:

you would need to elaborate more on what exactly is not working with setCaptive. i'm still not convinced that it'S not a solution. maybe it is limited in terms of vehicles vs units?

Il try to explain better,

basically i will have friendly jets returning to the base,to refuel etc.once they are there i want them(as well as other units already on ground) to be ignored by other possible pursuing jets/helos UNTIL the friend Jet gets airborne again. 

Having my jets as set captive would make them ignored by all enemy for entire mission would it not?

1 minute ago, redarmy said:

Il try to explain better,

basically i will have friendly jets returning to the base,to refuel etc.once they are there i want them(as well as other units already on ground) to be ignored by other possible pursuing jets/helos UNTIL the friend Jet gets airborne again. 

Having my jets as set captive would make them ignored by all enemy for entire mission would it not?

yes but only if you set it once. i mean it is totally up to you how complex it will be. setcaptive is only one command and only one part of the thing since you have other criteria aside being inside an area.

so what could be useful for you is this command https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/isTouchingGround

now it's your turn again. the question is how you are doing things currently or if you have any code already at all. because no the unknown/missing part is the actual method of checking for both conditions (inside radius plus isTouchingGround).

2 minutes ago, bad benson said:

yes but only if you set it once. i mean it is totally up to you how complex it will be. setcaptive is only one command and only one part of the thing since you have other criteria aside being inside an area.

so what could be useful for you is this command https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/isTouchingGround

now it's your turn again. the question is how you are doing things currently or if you have any code already at all. because no the unknown/missing part is the actual method of checking for both conditions (inside radius plus isTouchingGround).

Not 100% sure i follow

Are you telling me its possible to set captive for any unit touching ground within a trigger?

Because i was unaware that set captive could be "undone".

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setCaptive

is a bool switch. on/off. make a habit of reading the wiki pages. i myself trust my own clouded memory way too often instead of just reading up on stuff.

to answer your question. yes.

i never use triggers though so you gotta see how to set that up yourself or wait for someone else to help out. definately experiment more instead of assuming things though. helps you pose more specific questions which gets you answers way quicker.

Another solution : make the hostile jets & helos join the civilian group while your units are on the ground.

They won't attack (but nobody will attack them either...), and hostile infantry will still be able to engage your units (wich is what you want to achieve if I read correctly).

Make them join back their previous group/side once your units are in the air again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bad benson said:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setCaptive

is a bool switch. on/off. make a habit of reading the wiki pages. i myself trust my own clouded memory way too often instead of just reading up on stuff.

to answer your question. yes.

i never use triggers though so you gotta see how to set that up yourself or wait for someone else to help out. definately experiment more instead of assuming things though. helps you pose more specific questions which gets you answers way quicker.

There is alot of stuff on that wiki that flies over my head to be honest,i had been reading up on it,but im not great with scripting language.

cheers for pointing it out though,i will look at it.

8 hours ago, haleks said:

Another solution : make the hostile jets & helos join the civilian group while your units are on the ground.

They won't attack (but nobody will attack them either...), and hostile infantry will still be able to engage your units (wich is what you want to achieve if I read correctly).

Make them join back their previous group/side once your units are in the air again.

This seems like an easier way of going about it for sure.

Thanks Haleks