Sign in to follow this  
lekkimsm2500

Making Arma 3 Peripheral - Technical Question

So i'm currently in the process of making my very own Arma 3 peripheral. Right now, it's in a very early stage, nothing is planned for certain, and everything is subject to change. It currently looks a little something like this.

Tyy23CZ.jpg?1

And of course, it lights up. Because why not.

7u9LbxP.gif

Also worth mentioning: This is the first time i've ever done this, i have no significant knowledge or experience in electronics of this kind, nor the programming skill, that might end up being needed for this, but i'm having a damn go at it anyways. I've wanted to try this for a long time.

The contraption currently consists of buttons, wires, and a Poscope PoKeys57U, which is a USB interface (the correct description?), capable of keyboard and joystick simulation.

That being said, one of the major features i would love to have implemented, are flashing button, kind of in the sense of annunciator you'd see in general avionics. An example would be a red button would act as the indicator, that you've got a lock on, and it turns solid red if that's the case. The moment a missile has been fired at you, it starts rapidly blinking, and pushing it would release countermeasures. And i have other ideas kind of like this, but before i come up with anymore, or plan any further with it, i need to know if it's even possible to begin with.

Just like Kerbal Space Program has its API, that allows you to connect analog gauges, displays and whatnots, to show all kinds of information, like altitude, speed, fuel remaining/use, electric charge and so on, from the actual game, then i would like to have this question answered: Does Arma 3 have an API i could hook my majigga up to, that would allow for the above-mentioned idea to be turned into an actual feature? If so, would i still be able to join absolutely plain vanilla multiplayer games, or would i have to make mods, and would the server need the mods as well?

I'm sure hoping anyone can make a little sense of this.

On 1/16/2017 at 10:05 AM, lekkimsm2500 said:

So i'm currently in the process of making my very own Arma 3 peripheral. Right now, it's in a very early stage, nothing is planned for certain, and everything is subject to change. It currently looks a little something like this.

Tyy23CZ.jpg?1

And of course, it lights up. Because why not.

7u9LbxP.gif

Also worth mentioning: This is the first time i've ever done this, i have no significant knowledge or experience in electronics of this kind, nor the programming skill, that might end up being needed for this, but i'm having a damn go at it anyways. I've wanted to try this for a long time.

The contraption currently consists of buttons, wires, and a Poscope PoKeys57U, which is a USB interface (the correct description?), capable of keyboard and joystick simulation.

That being said, one of the major features i would love to have implemented, are flashing button, kind of in the sense of annunciator you'd see in general avionics. An example would be a red button would act as the indicator, that you've got a lock on, and it turns solid red if that's the case. The moment a missile has been fired at you, it starts rapidly blinking, and pushing it would release countermeasures. And i have other ideas kind of like this, but before i come up with anymore, or plan any further with it, i need to know if it's even possible to begin with.

Just like Kerbal Space Program has its API, that allows you to connect analog gauges, displays and whatnots, to show all kinds of information, like altitude, speed, fuel remaining/use, electric charge and so on, from the actual game, then i would like to have this question answered: Does Arma 3 have an API i could hook my majigga up to, that would allow for the above-mentioned idea to be turned into an actual feature? If so, would i still be able to join absolutely plain vanilla multiplayer games, or would i have to make mods, and would the server need the mods as well?

I'm sure hoping anyone can make a little sense of this.

Hi,

You need to find someone who knows the programming code of ARMA3. I doubt it if the game is made for that sort of access. Very Ambitious.

Years ago when I was big into online Sim Racing I built something similar for my cockpit I built. There is a company out there that makes USB controllers for that..very easy to set up and programmable..for the life of me I cant remember what it was called..try googling Sim Racing Button Box and you might run across something you can use. If I remember the name of the guy who made the controllers I'll post back again.

Edit: Try this guy.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/

Diesel