jakerod

Paul “Bushlurker” Pelosi (1960-2017) Rest in Peace

Very nice words there Jakerod, sorry for the loss of your friend.

• Like 11

A beautifully written piece jakerod. I always had a real soft spot in my heart for his Carraigdubh terrain (being Irish). Maybe someday it will be restored to it's former glory in Arma3.

A real loss to our community. RiP Paul.

• Like 16

Couldn't agree more Jakerod. Paul was a genuine good person. He got me interested in terrain making as well. Spent many night talking just like you did over terrains and guitars lol. He even tried convincing me to move to Orlando to take a job with BiSim. I am in my current job partly due to him teaching me about gis software.

There was no one with the patience level of Paul. It was something I truly admired about him. I often find myself frustrated when trying to help someone and feeling like they did not want to help themselves..but not Paul. He would explain things so eloquently and in terms anyone could understand. This comes a such a shock because he never seemed to let on just how bad things were getting. And from talking to him you had this sense that he was beating this thing. Paul was a good man...a good friend and someone I looked up to. He was the rock in the arma community.

We spent a while chatting one day about my love for Warren Zevon... so in his words "Remember to stop and taste every sandwich"

Paul you were a good friend. You will be sorely missed.

• Like 30

Terrible news. Loved Bushlurker's terrains and appreciated his willingness to mentor others.

• Like 9

Dang..

Rest in peace Paul.

Sad news indeed...

The only thing we really leave behind are the memories we leave with loved ones and friends...

Sounds like Paul gave you guys many of those... and in this way he lives on...

• Like 14

we lost our mentor in Terrainmaking and a good friend,

he always helped us to fix problems, he was a very good person :down:

rest in peace my friend

• Like 13

I can not speak for everyone, but i hope that all of our thoughts are with his friends and family in this hard time.

... we got a man down ...

R.I.P.
My deepest condolences to his loved ones.

• Like 10

Never knew him, but knew OF him for most of my time since OFP. 

Rest in peace

• Like 7

Very very sad news indeed.

Bushlurker was one of the best. Always helpful, always patient, always willing to share his knowledge on terrain making. Its not surprising how many people in modding knew of and benefited from Paul's knowledge and helpful manner. I personally started modding Arma through terrains and I don't think I would have ever completed my first mod (Qom Province) without Bushlurker's help. He always had time for people, and always took the time to explain things regardless of how simple/wrong/stupid (there are no stupid questions!) the questions were.

He was simply one of the best community modders out there - not only for his knowledge, but his approach to helping the community. He has set the bar high for us all.

It was no surprise he was hired by BISim and it was great to see him get to do his "passion" as his day job.

Condolences to his family.

Rest In Peace Bushlurker.

In The Beginning, There Was No Clutter...

...only bushes....

...and not very many of them either...
Clutching his low poly M16 and wandering the streets of La Trinite late in the Summer of '01 ("you're in position, Six!") - Bushlurker found a Suitable Bush - and got under it... he's been under there ever since... making things...

Check out bushlurker.com

• Like 24

Very bad news and condolences to the family.

It is his magnificent creations of lands "science fiction" that pushed me to continue to make addons of vegetation, with the idea, one day, to offer him a cooperation to make a land similar to pandora.

This can not be done during his lifetime.

RIP.

• Like 7

Was always very polite and warm in any interactions I had with him and helped me out a massive amount with the terrain I worked on. Big loss to the community.

RIP. 

• Like 8

Sad news... While not personally knowing him, he had my respect as a terrain guru and very much enjoyed faffing on his Geo terrains in back in A2.

Rest up BL.

• Like 5

Wow. I'm shocked and saddened to hear this. Just the other day I was thinking which terrains I wished had been migrated from Arma 2 into Arma 3. And the one terrain that most struck me was Carraigdubh. Although I never met him in person his talent, his dedication and generosity touched me. His departure will be felt by many I'm sure. My thought are with his family.

• Like 7

I was lucky enough to know this fine chap. He was my squad medic for a series of competition games a few years ago. His hearing wasn't great so there was often comical shouting for the medic, which is not only a great memory, but huge fun, so it's how I choose to remember this fella.

Not only was he a great team player but later he became the authority on terrains that we are all grateful for.

RIP mate.

• Like 11

Hello everyone, I came here to pay my respects.

I think what really shines through in this apparently-futile round-robin of custom user content is the level of true selfless sharing and passion that reveals that human beings can live as such instead than doing the typical "get/give/profit" ideas and they are trying to put us on, and the dreaded consequences such a mindset creates. I believe it's in the smallest of things that you find your strongest self. Thanks Paul, you inspired people, to me there's no best way to be a human being.

• Like 13

My condolences to Paul's family and friends. We can take some solace in the great spirit of sharing he's left behind for the community. His terrains are ever-lasting tributes to his modding efforts.

• Like 31

This is terribly sad news. My sincerest condolences to Paul's family and friends.

I think it's fair to say that without Bushlurker a lot of community ARMA terrains simply wouldn't exist. Mine certainly wouldn't. His guides, his advice, and his endless patience were indispensable, and they'll be missed. If it's any sort of consolation, some part of him will live on in the memory of those that knew him and in the terrains he left us with - his own and the many others to which he generously gave his time. 

Rest in Peace, Bushlurker. There'll be a fine dram raised for you tonight. 

• Like 13

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Normally i could´nt care less, but for a guy like him, i really hope god exists so he has someone to chat with about terraincrafting!

• Like 17

When Jake sent me the mail with the terrible news, I was shocked and speechless. And while I've sworn to myself that never again I will post in this forum, this justifies an exception.

Paul was a legend when it comes to terrains in the Armaverse. If Paul didn't know the answer or a solution, then probably no one knew it. And boy, he was a patient teacher. No matter how busy he was, he always found time to explain things, write a tutorial or even solves the problem on behalf of the person seeking help. There are not many like him, that's for sure.

I enjoyed his terrain work ever since he made the first attempts. And I was very glad to have him in the CWR² team as he eventually saved the project. Because without Paul, there maybe would be no Malden, or only a crappy and bugged to hell terrain. For some strange reason, the AI refused to drive on the roads. Now with this splendid engine this is nothing new, but it was really bad because they just ignored the roads completely. I must have spent weeks in checking everything, and placing the road network from scratch twice.
Then Paul joined and had a look. At first, he had no idea either because everything just looked fine. He then decided to make the whole terrain from scratch and see, the 'artificial idiocy' decided to use the roads.
And then there was my fancy idea to port the 'VBS1 Intro terrain' to ArmA2, known as 'Elephant Island'. As if he wasn't busy already with his own and CWR² projects, I lured him into that one as well. And in the end, he not only created the terrain textures. He created them twice - at least - because he never was happy with some aspects. And he made the logo, and the roads too. He was not only a patient mentor. He was a freakin' perfectionist as well! :-)

In the past year I lost contact to Paul, now this makes me angry because I never had the chance to talk with him again. I will miss our nightly discussions on Skype going on for hours. Not only about terrain editing, or missions from the old days but also about everything else in life.

Once again I lost a mentor, a fellow Mod team member and a good friend. Without Paul, this community won't be the same anymore. But he lives on in his terrain tutorials, his beautiful terrains and last but not least in the memories of those who had the pleasure to work with him or were able to create their projects with his help.

Rest in peace my friend, you will not be forgotten.

• Like 32

Bushlurker was certainly an inspiration for all of us, may he rest in peace. 

• Like 13

I'm speechless :down:

R.I.P. Bushlurker !

• Like 11