Sign in to follow this  
YaBoyBlue

How should I texture this?

Hello all,

I have recently finished a large portion of the exterior of a police headquarters and am getting much closer to the texture date. I was wondering how I should go about texting this building though, I'll be using Quixel and it's tools in Photoshop. Should I have a texture for the fences and then use that on each different fence type, then one for the building, and another for interior things such as desks, holing cells, etc. Or on the other hand should I make a much larger texture map and squeez it all in there and have the same parts overlay each other on the UV map to reduce clutter?

Here is the building itself:

6074819c29646e132a7ccd073e1a1e30.png

d36ceba9be9de764942800797bc9561f.png

Sorry for any strange formatting as I sent this from my phone :)

@PuFu,

Okay, so I did a little reading up on this and it seems interesting and I would like to learn more about it after school today. I have a few questions though, will I still need to make maps such as mask, normal, shading, etc. Also what do I name the selection of glass and what LOD does it go into when in object builder so it appears as glass in-game, I've been looking and maybe I'm just blind but I seriously can't find that.

for everything of glas you use seperate material and texture set (multimaterials do not support fresnel reflections), but also a tiled texture.

21 hours ago, Trooper A. said:

@PuFu,

Okay, so I did a little reading up on this and it seems interesting and I would like to learn more about it after school today. I have a few questions though, will I still need to make maps such as mask, normal, shading, etc. Also what do I name the selection of glass and what LOD does it go into when in object builder so it appears as glass in-game, I've been looking and maybe I'm just blind but I seriously can't find that.

Thank you so much,
Dylan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a multimat uses 4x 3x texture maps (or procedurals) - .co, .dtsmdi, .nohq per individual "material_ ID" (defined by the .mask).

there is no such thing as "shading" map.

21 hours ago, Trooper A. said:

Whoops,

Okay so I just read your message and it sounds as though I use tileable seamless textures so that I can apply them to certain sections and they can be used over and over? I think that's right at least from what you stated in your post, I still would like a little assistance on how to get certain objects to be window glass in-game if it's not too much to explain.

Once again thank you,
Dylan

as said already, you can use a mix of shaders (multimaps and supershader) on your mesh. i for one use a separate supershader for the roof if i need it to be metal.

I usually use 2 multimats (interior/exterior if possible) plus another supershader if needed for accesories (doorhandles, etc etc) and another for the windows. It also depends on the size and detail of the building, but also on the amount of different individual materials i need to use

for the windows, you'll need it to be a separate rvmat using supershader (and separate model if you want these to break).

I do recommend you have a look over A3 samples and A2 content provided by BI.