Sign in to follow this  
redpiano

Binding helicopter gunner controls separate from helicopter pilot controls?

I've been trying to figure out how I can use the helicopter gunner seat in single player without a bunch of hassle with the AI or dealing with scripting because I have no idea what I'm doing in that regard.

So I figured one way would be to be in the gunner seat and map my helicopter controls to keyboard and gunner controls to mouse or visa versa, so that I can take controls as gunner, get in position, then use separate controls to control the turret aiming because by default, the turret controls control the aircraft too so you just end up spinning around and messing up your aim.

But it seems that the only way to map the gunner controls is by mapping the helicopter movement controls, is there no way around this? Why has BI made it so bleeding difficult just to play as a gunner in single player?

Yeah-Playing Sp as a chopper gunner is next to impossible unfortunately. AS a totally SP player it is one of my biggest issues. There is a fantastic mission on the work shop called CAS Day1 which has amazing chopper scripting.it will allow you as the gunner to tell the pilot where to go, what height to fly at, speed etc-tell him to stop or to circle a point. It is amazing. I asked the author if he would release it as a standalone script or mod-but he is too busy. His name on steam is Strongharm.

45 minutes ago, ineptaphid said:

Yeah-Playing Sp as a chopper gunner is next to impossible unfortunately. AS a totally SP player it is one of my biggest issues. There is a fantastic mission on the work shop called CAS Day1 which has amazing chopper scripting.it will allow you as the gunner to tell the pilot where to go, what height to fly at, speed etc-tell him to stop or to circle a point. It is amazing. I asked the author if he would release it as a standalone script or mod-but he is too busy. His name on steam is Strongharm.

That is a really great mission WOW. Yeah if only he could make that a mod that can be applied easily to any mission.

god this has been bothering me as well for the longest time. Why would bi lock the gunner turret to the flight controls. I wish so much to play this bird properly in sp. The one thing i use sometimes is masnoopers tgp mod. This gives you pretty much a darter attached to your helo/aircraft. Thats of course not the same as having access to the real turret.

On 1/1/2017 at 7:20 PM, redpiano said:

I've been trying to figure out how I can use the helicopter gunner seat in single player without a bunch of hassle with the AI or dealing with scripting because I have no idea what I'm doing in that regard.

So I figured one way would be to be in the gunner seat and map my helicopter controls to keyboard and gunner controls to mouse or visa versa, so that I can take controls as gunner, get in position, then use separate controls to control the turret aiming because by default, the turret controls control the aircraft too so you just end up spinning around and messing up your aim.

But it seems that the only way to map the gunner controls is by mapping the helicopter movement controls, is there no way around this? Why has BI made it so bleeding difficult just to play as a gunner in single player?

Good question. It should be perfectly possible to put the aircraft in autohover and manipulate the gunner optics. I only managed this in one aircraft, the AH-6X Little Bird ULB from CUP.
You need a UAV terminal, then "Hack UAV" before entering the aircraft, then while flying from Pilot or Co-pilot seat, you can connect to the Turret view which allows you to look around with the gunner optic as well as fire the laser. Pity this does not have more weapons and does not work for other aircraft. Really cool for training/SP missions or small MP missions where one does not have a co-pilot.