Wiki

Lost the ArmA 3 hype

Hi guys.

I'm depressed.

I like ArmA 3, I like editing, but it's been some time now that I'm not interested into it that much anymore.

I'd like to return to it, but no motivation at all to create new missions / campaigns - although I got plenty of ideas for scenarios (like a CSAT campaign).

I'm waiting for the new DLCs and the missions BIS will make, and I'm looking everyday for new usemade missions or campaign, but nothing I fancy so far.

Am I the only one like that or not? :down:

• Like 6

Happens with any game I really like for me. Eventually you may play it too much, and need a break (even if it's your favorite)

6 minutes ago, sniper_x002 said:

Happens with any game I really like for me. Eventually you may play it too much, and need a break (even if it's your favorite)

Yeah.

Plus, I'm more a SP guy - and I've completed the whole game (campaign, missions, achievements...) and the usermade content that was worth it IMHO.

Been a while wince there is something really good to play.

I'm eager to see what BIS will release next year...

44 minutes ago, wiki said:

Hi guys.

I'm depressed.

I like ArmA 3, I like editing, but it's been some time now that I'm not interested into it that much anymore.

I'd like to return to it, but no motivation at all to create new missions / campaigns - although I got plenty of ideas for scenarios (like a CSAT campaign).

I'm waiting for the new DLCs and the missions BIS will make, and I'm looking everyday for new usemade missions or campaign, but nothing I fancy so far.

Am I the only one like that or not? :down:

Have you considered designing missions for a completely different époque?

e.g. a Vietnam mission using the Unsung mod and/or a WW2 mission using IF3L/FoW/CSA38

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, domokun said:

Have you considered designing missions for a completely different époque?

e.g. a Vietnam mission using the Unsung mod and/or a WW2 mission using IF3L/FoW/CSA38

Absolutely yes.

I've made some with CUP, I wanted to do it with Unsung - but the motivation lost its way...

That's why I'm totally depressed.

I want to to it but really got no motivation to work on that - plus I got nothing new to play :down:

Natural thing, "old toy" syndrome. That's how brain works, I suppose, excitement ends, when no more neurons to reconfigure in the topic, all known, all trained, so the more I play games, the sooner it appear. For me it is exactly same, and applies to all the games, in my case the least for Arma 3, but still. AFAIK it will never be again, as it was at first, but longer break and new content may prolong and to the extend refresh enjoyment. But eventually there's someday inevitable "time to move on" moment. RL work gave me enforced a year and half break from Arma creative activities, so I hope, eventually I'll regain enough energy and motivation to update my work and to top my Arma 3 stage with the last project. We'll see. 

Also I know, how depressing it can be, even, if understandable, I experienced that too - bored with games, but nothing interesting appeared instead to fill mind in the free time, so what to do with myself after work? 

7 minutes ago, Rydygier said:

Natural thing, "old toy" syndrome. That's how brain works, I suppose, excitement ends, when no more neurons to reconfigure in the topic, all known, all trained, so the more I play games, the sooner it appear. For me it is exactly same, and applies to all the games, in my case, the least for Arma 3, but still. AFAIK it will never be again, as it was at first, but longer break and new content may prolong and to the extend refresh enjoyment. But eventually there's someday inevitable "time to move on" moment. RL work gave me enforced a year and half break from Arma creative activities, so I hope, eventually I 'll regain enough energy to update my work and t top my Arma 3 stage with the last project. We'll see. 

Also I know, how depressing it can be, even, if understandable, I experienced that too - bored with games, but nothing interesting appeared instead to fill mind in the free time, so what to do with myself after work? 

Glad to see I ain't the lonely one.

I really didn't think that would happen with ArmA game serie though.

Yep, well versed in the feeling. Also a SP and with the current trend in focus on MP modes, missions and campaigns its easy to see why. For me personally, the AI is just too binary and that takes away any possible tensions needed for sandbox game feeling. Recently picked up a STalker game (CoP) on sale at steam and that gave me that much needed unknowing and suspense when encountering other AI. Was an awesome feeling to see a duo of ragtag dudes walking around running up to them and them giving me a verbal warning, then raising their rifles at me till i backed off -Arma could use so much of this. It makes Ai intriguing as found myself just following them for a while to see what they were up to while they occasionally pulled out scanners or fought off weird mutated dogs.

MP can simply never offer intrigue as we are all like minded players running around to kill shit -so who are the characters?? At some point ill always come back to some Arma play -usually putting a few new units down in the editor on some new map with some new content but damn, none of that can offer what it is a player like me is always after

• Like 4

Although I can't say I lost the hype yet, I do feel a bit of frustration as a SP player.

Arma3 has less to offer in terms of SP content compared to the previous game and its DLC, but there is also, in my case, the difficulty to create plausible milsim scenarios : never been in the army or held a gun, and Arma3 being more and more realistic, I'm starting to feel limited by that lack of knowledge (a game mode showcasing text-book tactics or deployments would be cool by the way... How do you place AA defense? When do you use spec-ops units? etc... The game doesn't teach me anything in that regard).

Arma3 also sets a new standard with the scale of its terrains : larger landscapes and cities, more enterable buildings, greater distances between locations - you often need more units in your scenarios, compared to Arma2, wich doesn't make things easier when you already struggle with basic military concepts. :/

That's why I've worked on non-milsim concepts only (survival, exploration), incidentally. But then again that means other limitations to work with : froggyluv's example with the Stalker AIs is a perfect example.

• Like 5

maxresdefault.jpg

The ArmA 3 community and the missions makers to unite and create hell of a SP campaign ;-)

• Like 7

You may have a writes block. Or you simply played the game too much. I often don't have that problem, as i play games seasonally, for example i still play Battlefield 2 , 11 years later, because i only play it during the summer, still didn't get old. Arma i play actively about one week every month, then i go to something else. Taking a pause untill you feel like there is something to come back to is a good idea. Sadly i didn't think so few years back, as i went by the logic "we don't live forever, i need to do this NOW", which makes sense, so i tried to force things, but not all things that make sense actually help you.

Remember that 'Sides' module they gave us (only to retract later)? That would be the right direction to make the SP experience riveting again. Imagine, a new campaign in which your squad walks among nervous townsfolk and you have to watch your actions or you may incite a riot. Dynamic changing of a Units's feelings toward a side is obviously doable in current state with scripting, but comes off as hacky and not very believable. Matter fact, AI behaviour modules are the way to go if you ask me - Sniper, Spec Ops, Civilian, MachineGunner etc with specific Modules would be awesome and add so much to the standard fare missions in which all units act the same save the slight config discrepencies which arent even inherent by class but by rank which is just weird.

• Like 5

Indeed, i'm playing other more SP oriented games much more than Arma now. I'm kicking some Prussian's arses in SoW atm ;) And of course modded OFP which is a much more enjoyable game than A3 imho.

• Like 1

I have more than 1500 hours in arma 3 but lately I just have stopped playing and when I have to do something in arma 3 I just see it as a chore. :(

37 minutes ago, milosv123344 said:

You may have a writes block. Or you simply played the game too much.

6 minutes ago, alex150201 said:

I have more than 1500 hours in arma 3 but lately I just have stopped playing and when I have to do something in arma 3 I just see it as a chore. :(

These.

You spend way too much time on one thing and it becomes a chore rather than fun.

I have spent well over a decade fiddling with/making missions/modding this game (like 0.001% has been released publicly) and I can tell you need to take a break every now and then; play other games, preferrably in a completely different genre (I suggest My Summer Car :P), completely flush your brain from Arma.

Steam winter sale is on, you can get games for peanuts right now..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, h - said:

These.

You spend way too much time on one thing and it becomes a chore rather than fun.

I have spent well over a decade fiddling with/making missions/modding this game (like 0.001% has been released publicly) and I can tell you need to take a break every now and then; play other games, preferrably in a completely different genre (I suggest My Summer Car :P), completely flush your brain from Arma.

Just bought Mortal Kombat XL and a Xbox one pad lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, h - said:

These.

Steam winter sale is on, you can get games for peanuts right now..

Yeah I also have a billion missions done for arma but only released shitty ones because I never bother finishing them. So everytime there is a sale I just buy all the games I can. This time I bought Hitman, Rainbow Six Siege (the year 2 season pass) mafia 3, squad and the walking dead new frontier. Should keep me occupied for sometime. I also got back into modelling so lets see how that goes :P

Getting laid as much as possible also helps =D

Oh, BTW, is anywone willing to make/create some SP content with me?

I think if I can work with someone else, it will be easier to go back to editing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wiki said:

Oh, BTW, is anywone willing to make/create some SP content with me?

I think if I can work with someone else, it will be easier to go back to editing.

PM me wiki :)

1 minute ago, alex150201 said:

PM me wiki :)

Done ;-)

I know what you are saying Wiki. I play exclusively SP and there is a much bigger focus on MP currently. A lot of the biggest mods-RHS,ACE have some very cool features which just can not be used solo and even with this great community the amount of SP suitable content is not infinite.

What I did was took a few weeks away and played things that were totally different from Arma-no FPS,no military stuff. I played Dragon Age:Origins and Inquisition, The Witcher 2+3, TellTale's GoT series..Loads of things totally different from Arma.

Then i came back and am having a lot of fun here again-Just hit 3000 hours...Not bad value for money for 30 euro :D

Eagerly awaiting the updates to awesome mods like RHS+VSM etc. But you have to take breaks-you have to. Otherwise playing Arma simply becomes a routine and will begin to feel like a career more than a hobby.

2 minutes ago, ineptaphid said:

I know what you are saying Wiki. I play exclusively SP and there is a much bigger focus on MP currently. A lot of the biggest mods-RHS,ACE have some very cool features which just can not be used solo and even with this great community the amount of SP suitable content is not infinite.

What I did was took a few weeks away and played things that were totally different from Arma-no FPS,no military stuff. I played Dragon Age:Origins and Inquisition, The Witcher 2+3, TellTale's GoT series..Loads of things totally different from Arma.

Then i came back and am having a lot of fun here again-Just hit 3000 hours...Not bad value for money for 30 euro :D

Eagerly awaiting the updates to awesome mods like RHS+VSM etc. But you have to take breaks-you have to. Otherwise playing Arma simply becomes a routine and will begin to feel like a career more than a hobby.

Love xxx

I took a month long break to play some battlefield 1 on Xbox 1. 

Good fun... 

And now I've come back and have some motivation again...

Long story short ... nothing wrong with a break when u get burnt out and when you come back its fun again ;)

• Like 1

Got a PM from alex150201.

I'll see where it leads... ;)