Wiki

Vehicles too bright and neat?

Hi guys.

Just my opinion, but don't you think the vehicles in ArmA are too neat?

I mean, there is no dirt on them at all, like if they were just out of the factory.

Don't you think BIS could change the textures to make them more dirty?

I generally agree with you. A couple of points:

- All the vehicles look brighter since the visual upgrade, definitely too bright and not like military (camouflaged) vehicles

- I don't mind the lack of dirt too much, but you are right that most of them look factory fresh. It's a bit weird.

- However BI does add wear/dirt details to vehicles. I think the planes and helicopters have exhaust debris on the hull. The light strike vehicles have dirt on their tires. I'm not too happy about this because if you drive such a vehicle on Altis, you see Tanoa's red dirt on the tires.

I BI at least darkened the vehicles a bit like before the visual update, I would be a lot happier.

What would be nice is to have different texture layers show up over time as they get more dirt on them (like FS17). Different textures different maps/ ground surfaces. It's possible to script it but would be nice to have as an engine feature.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, flax_ said:

What would be nice is to have different texture layers show up over time as they get more dirt on them (like FS17). Different textures different maps/ ground surfaces. It's possible to script it but would be nice to have as an engine feature.

I assume that could work kinda like the damage material... it's applied automatically over the regular texture when the vehicle gets damaged or destroyed. Similar concept here, just have a dirty material apply over vehicles once they do things like drive off road for a while.

Not sure how they'd define all that in the config, but I suppose it could technically be feasible.

Actually that's a pretty cool idea. Add a "dirt slider" to the vehicle attributes and clone the damage texture system. Replace the damage texture with dirt and that should be it. Only problem is: The dirt texture would be all over the vehicle and not just in certain areas. Still worth to investigate, imo. Placed vehicles could have a random dirt value to make them look less same-y.

• Like 2