bludski

Unnamed Vietnam War Map (cambodia/laos)

5 hours ago, 1212PDMCDMPPM said:

Really nice map !!!

If I can give you two small advices:

- rename Plantation Saint Clementine to Plantation Sainte Clementine (Clementine is a girl name)

- remove the map location of the VC HQ. It should be more secret ;) 

As i said earlier in the post. the temporary marked vc locations are there so testers can find them and so i can find the spots myself. Most of them don't even have anything placed yet.

As for the sainte, Thanks i'll fix it. I'm clueless in French :)

• Like 1

Thx for your answer.

Sorry for the VC HQ, I missed your explanation post.

As for your french (^^), feel free to ask here if you want more french location names, many will help you !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1212PDMCDMPPM said:

As for your french (^^), feel free to ask here if you want more french location names, many will help you !

I may add some more colonist stuff but I've no idea what that would be. Sugestions? Been playing with the idea of making the plantation a bit larger too.

You could add a catholic church or school in one of the village.

In terms of infrastructure, Arma is lacking some proper tea, coffer or pepper plantation. May be a sawmill would fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1212PDMCDMPPM said:

You could add a catholic church or school in one of the village.

In terms of infrastructure, Arma is lacking some proper tea, coffer or pepper plantation. May be a sawmill would fit.

It is enough with the church ruins on the plantation. (as far as churches go:)) I've decided to build a small village at the plantation though and add some more workable fields.

Next update has jungle sounds proper and LOTS of other config changes. Should be updated within a few hours of this post!

I've kind of wanted to make a sort of main village that has more facilities. Lacking accurate time period reference images though.

a rural village would look much the same from 2-300 years before. they rarely changed before the war.
fishing villages would have had motors added to boats, but still woven baskets and some new boxes/crates about. maybe the odd plastic coloured net instead of traditional rope ones.

a village near a road may have stalls or kiosks added once the war traffic developed.

houses would be similar to always, with some new tin roofs showing up in the 60s.

we have a range of those building types from old world to newer world in the unsung pack.

larger towns would be similar to the takistani houses - made of brick and lime with slate or tin roofs, but with mostly wooden buildings and straw or tin roofs.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, eggbeast said:

a rural village would look much the same from 2-300 years before. they rarely changed before the war.
fishing villages would have had motors added to boats, but still woven baskets and some new boxes/crates about. maybe the odd plastic coloured net instead of traditional rope ones.

a village near a road may have stalls or kiosks added once the war traffic developed.

houses would be similar to always, with some new tin roofs showing up in the 60s.

we have a range of those building types from old world to newer world in the unsung pack.

larger towns would be similar to the takistani houses - made of brick and lime with slate or tin roofs, but with mostly wooden buildings and straw or tin roofs.

Rural houses still haven't changed much still, at least in the area round Siem Reap and Tonle Sap. A tin roof instead of thatch is fairly common, I guess it depends on the families income / tolerance for the noise during the rainy season especially.

You're in luck, Bludski, because there is an excellent set   of rural house photos on Wikipedia - complete with some great interior shots in one of the galleries. And Vietnamese rural houses don't look much different from outside at least - I never went inside one.

There are lots of photos on the Internet of the famous floating village Kompong Khleang, they show one of the common characteristics of Cambodian rural houses - stilts. Much of Cambodia is flood plain; Tonle Sap water level changes by 8 or 9 metres!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, orcinus said:

stuff

That's a cool resource! Thanks!

As you may be gathering from recent version of the map, it is set in the rain season.

.77 is up on steam.

B4AE92E840356837E3A301EEDB943AFBB73E1091

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, bludski said:

That's a cool resource! Thanks!

As you may be gathering from recent version of the map, it is set in the rain season.

.77 is up on steam.

You're very welcome. I intend to use (attempt to, at least :) those as rough templates for houses round the temple I want to make. Which reminds me, I haven't uploaded any photos yet....

Great screenshot :)

The rivers generally & Tonle Sap especially are anything but crystal clear. In fact I would never swim in Tonle Sap (apart from anything else, the floating villagers have, erm, 'outdoor' plumbing...

Thanks for the update. Had a wander round the map shortly before seeing this (Steam updating as I type) and it is really outstanding. Tramping through the jungle I had a big fat grin on my face. Gonna put a simple AISSP mission on it to see how the AI cope. One issue I did notice is that some of the smaller bunkers have a floor that is too low - you can't fire out properly.

One thing that will AIUI missing in A3 SEA maps are crocs - I think I read that Charon won't be updating the mod he made for A2/CO which is a real shame.

Cheers!

• Like 3

DED4AB0E02C59E2A6B608C31B0E1068337E87B70

AD1134D6677EB6C353525A8B91BB73DB245FCA79

0EFDA52CF2F5502518F0D5C07D7210278DDCFD43

0848A694534B86301A274FC0DFA0B5D623794AA7

92E524322E65D185A684AED20033CA20E3E0A75B

C7376B1A886288AF9AC4DF10E97560E3320FD482

Villages in progress and stuff.

• Like 15

Excellent work, mate. Just had a stroll round the latest update, had me thinking about holidays ;)

Found another source of photos; the University of North Carolina has a teacher-support project called "Learn NC".

Illustrated articles on Vietnam, Cambodia past & present. Lots of images, downloadable in different resolutions for the most part.

Here's a ruined tower built by the Chams. Modern era buildings as well.

Some great pics of rural thatched houses in Vietnam & Cambodia.

Search the main site for country names, or for Margery H Freeman (photographer, results will get you her homepage with links to may photos) & Lorraine Aragon (text).

• Like 4

Thanks guys. 0.77.5 is up on steam. Ambient sounds finalised. No more ocean sounds. Thanks to @haleks for the help with cfg!

Other changes include:

Plantation connected by road.

Jungle road added along main river north.

Misc vegetation.

More buildings.

• Like 5

Thanks, Bludski.

One oddness, however. In this version, a short burst of M240 7.62 non-tracer sets light to the thatched huts pretty reliably. Bit unlikely, especially in the rainy season :)

1 minute ago, orcinus said:

Thanks, Bludski.

One oddness, however. In this version, a short burst of M240 7.62 non-tracer sets light to the thatched huts pretty reliably. Bit unlikely, especially in the rainy season :)

Blame unsung :)

Hah!

Doesn't happen on the Usung maps that I've ever seen, nor did it happen on Trung Si before today's update.

Ofc because it's a Steam d/l I can't go back & check.

I don't have anything to do with those objects. They are shipped with unsung and i have no authority over them.

F448D71CE50E111DEA3989DE093EAF162E0E756A

3B6B83CF90A30A3D458D1650584D3EC55008A0CA

Part of the village of Trung Si.

Has a recently abandoned French School that needs a name.

Is probably the largest village in the province that shares the name.

The village has the only dry river crossing and the main road to the north western half of the region.

• Like 7

Awesome!

You could call the village Pieds Secs (Dry Feet) and the school Saint Joseph de Bon Espoir (St Joseph's of Good Hope).

BTW I love the brown colour of your rivers (alluvium-laden). I only wish that more rivers in Arma were this colour for, other than mountain streams, I've rarely seen a blue river.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bludski said:

F448D71CE50E111DEA3989DE093EAF162E0E756A

3B6B83CF90A30A3D458D1650584D3EC55008A0CA

Part of the village of Trung Si.

Has a recently abandoned French School that needs a name.

Is probably the largest village in the province that shares the name.

The village has the only dry river crossing and the main road to the north western half of the region.

Dude, your work is amazing! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, domokun said:

Awesome!

BTW I love the brown colour of your rivers (alluvium-laden). I only wish that more rivers in Arma were this colour for, other than moutains streams, I've rarely seen a blue river.

Lots of blue rivers in Canada :) of course the closer you are to the rivers source the bluer / whiter the water is. I agree the brown water of the rivers adds great atmosphere to the map.

Blud, outstanding work, it keeps getting better.

re the huts catching fire, its based on damage to the hut roof. we can't be checking every bullet for tracer value, that would be silly.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, eggbeast said:

re the huts catching fire, its based on damage to the hut roof. we can't be checking every bullet for tracer value, that would be silly.

Makes sense!