Platform - Good or Bad?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Good or Bad Idea?

• Good
    • Meh. (Good, but would improve in a certain or a few areas) [comment them below :P ]
    • Bad

Reading this, I interpret this as you want to make a league table of ArmA3 servers with a centralised repository for feedback, which is commendable.

As for getting feedback from members of a server's community, this is normally internal, with the odd individual posting on the public B.I forums and the odd community feedback thread on those forums

Based on that limited amount of public feedback, I think it is doubtful you will get enough clients to input data for you to make your venture worthwhile.

Do you intend to charge for this service to list servers as and when it evolves ?

I see you want a "Server Quality Assurance Officer. Assigned by SCORPNET" per game server

Where is this individual going to get their criteria from to define a "Standard" and who do you have that is knowledgeable and experienced enough to define that criteria?

What I think is a problem, is the mass list of unpopulated empty and soulless servers out there in the server browser list that players have to scour through to find one with a heartbeat

What I think would be a worthier task is to offer your own "Special and limited" list of A3 servers based on international time zones that are active, have purpose are well organised and have good quality of service where players looking for a game can find something worthwhile of their time. Then split that list into sublists based on criteria like for example the following

• RPG (Altis life etc)
  • Milsim (Split further into Coop or PvP or a mix of both)
  • Addons required (Does it have its own addons repo, if so what is it how does it get deployed)
  • TFAR used
  • Private or public community
  • Well documented help & support

something on those lines

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this feedback Terox.

I do believe that standardisation for the Quality Assurance is needed and was overlooked, in that specific regard.

As for getting feedback from members of a server's community, this is normally internal, with the odd individual posting on the public B.I forums and the odd community feedback thread on those forums

My idea or goal was to have all participating servers to have there "players" become the platforms member. (Obviously this is not a requirement, but does have many perks involved more than just the server themselves.)

What I think is a problem, is the mass list of unpopulated empty and soulless servers out there in the server browser list that players have to scour through to find one with a heartbeat

I found this out as well via the ratio of the amount of players vs servers within the exilemod. Therefore, this would enforce your idea of having a:

"Special and limited" list of A3 servers

Which would create a more narrow yet effective standardisation method, which would help the community. However, in having a narrowed approach or area, this may impact on the servers that are unaware of my "venture".

Based on that limited amount of public feedback, I think it is doubtful you will get enough clients to input data for you to make your venture worthwhile.

How many servers are there on the sever list: just checked 5953 roughly, 22 of them are Official Servers by Bohemia Interactive. So in affect of numbers there are 5931 potential data inputs for the "venture". I do see where you are coming from though.

RPG (Altis life etc)

Milsim (Split further into Coop or PvP or a mix of both)

Addons required (Does it have its own addons repo, if so what is it how does it get deployed)

TFAR used

Private or public community

Well documented help & support

In terms of a list I was definitely thinking of doing that. 

Here is a sample of some HTML I have cooked up.

https://gyazo.com/d8b00d70aba2827972eac135f33741a7

Do you intend to charge for this service to list servers as and when it evolves ?

I have thought about this, all depends on how things go. regarding my thoughts. I pondered the idea of a "subscription" for the server owners and maybe even a subscription for the players.

All depends, the "venture" has no overheads as that is all covered.

Again, I appreciate your feedback, especially from yourself. :) 

9 hours ago, Capwell said:

How many servers are there on the sever list: just checked 5953 roughly, 22 of them are Official Servers by Bohemia Interactive. So in affect of numbers there are 5931 potential data inputs for the "venture". I do see where you are coming from though.

Assumption is, Out of the quote "5953" servers out there, only a small percentage, no more  than 1% have threads in the BI forums  outside of the squads and fan page forums and out of those threads, most of which are in the "Multiplayer"  forum, the majorityt are purely advertisement threads and have little if any feedback content in them other than the odd fanboy. From this you can muster a guess on how hard it's going to be to generate the type of input your after to make your project worthwhile, in other words its going to be an uphill struggle for you to achieve your end goal. Based on what I am seeing in those forums.