oukej

Jets - Custom Panels (GPS, Camera feeds, ...)

p5hZ674.gif

Alongside our planned Jets DLC platform upgrades, we needed moar UI. But quite a big part of the ingame screen is already taken by various elements and gadgets. We realize that, despite our goal to be more 'minimalistic' with UI, we have quite a lot going on in there. We've decided to put some elements into 'generic containers'.

Together with Weapon and Vehicle Info, we now have a system called 'Custom Info'. It's 'Custom' because it allows you to pick which ones you want to have displayed in game. Custom also because creates a framework for modders to use - more about that later on wiki.

Before we go any further, I recommend you to reset your keybinds to A3 or Apex preset (and dump all the hours you've spent customizing them) - otherwise you'll see a lot of missing strings and unnecessary action menu entries.

As a player, what you get is a system of two windows - left and right. You have actions to toggle modules inside these windows.

By default:

• [ - next module (GPS, feed, sensor display....) on left display
  • RCTRL + [ - toggle sub-mode (range, feed spectrum...) on left display
  • ] - next module on right display
  • RCTRL + ] - toggle sub-mode on right display
  • (no default keybind) - previous module on left display
  • (no default keybind) - previous module on right display
  • (no default keybind) - close left display
  • (no default keybind) - close right display

You can find following modules:

• Navigation (if your have a GPS item or GPS is configured as integral part of your vehicle) - the navigation is now rotating. The tech is being improved, so you can expect some hickups.

• Slingload assistant (if your vehicle can slingload)

• UAV camera feed (if you have an UAV terminal)

• Crew list (If you are inside a vehicle)

• In addition - in all military aircraft - you will have a Sensor display. More about that in the Sensor Overhaul feedback thread

• In all tanks, APCs, MRAPs and similar 'advanced' vehicles, you will have camera feeds from other crew's positions.

• In attack aircraft (gunships, fighters, CAS), you will also have feeds from TGP (driver), gunner and also from a launched missile wherever applicable.

NMOio1t.png

The old actions for GPS, Drone feed and Slingload assistant still work and will directly switch the default window to the respective module.

Enjoy, and let us know what you think!

• Like 26

hqdefault.jpg

Haven't tested it much yet, but that's exactly what we need.

• Like 8

Think it would be possible to eventually have those HUD elements (with some visual modifications) output to diegetic MFDs? That would be great for immersion, fairly realistic and as a bonus, the control scheme is consistent with what MFD switching in some flight sims I played.

28 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

Think it would be possible to eventually have those HUD elements (with some visual modifications) output to diegetic MFDs? That would be great for immersion, fairly realistic and as a bonus, the control scheme is consistent with what MFD switching in some flight sims I played.

I very much doubt this... it takes a looot more to convert the UI over to a 3D surface. There is no "render UI to texture" feature yet that would make this easier.

What would be cool though if you could define a texture file that is used as surrounding/backdrop for original UI per vehicle. The frame of the monitor basically.

• Like 1

- Key to open the displays should also be able to close the display => remove key bindings for closing

- Cycling through the displays should not close the display but start with the first element

- Cycle keys should also be used to show & hide the Custom Info panels. => 2 keybindings which everything.

- The headlines of all the GUI elements have inconsistent widths

- Vehicle info should be part of the Custom Info, one doesn't permanently need to see the fuel level, dmg etc. It would clean up the overall HUD quite a bit

- The NAV should also display the movement speed (Every mobilephone can do that these days)

• Like 2

> Is there a specific reason why we have keybindings to close the display?

No specific reason. It just could be handy if you have controller with 20 buttons....

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, dr. hladik said:

> Is there a specific reason why we have keybindings to close the display?

No specific reason. It just could be handy if you have controller with 20 buttons....

Ah yes of course!

Found the first actual bug! :smile_o: In the NATO AA vehicle, the left MFD overlaps vehicle-specific HUD info. I didn't have time to check the other vehicles, but CSAT AA vehicle likely has the same problem. 

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong BI I really love the effort and what you're doing to the game but if I wanted to play a flight simulator I would have gone with DCS. I'm just asking to give an option so we can play more arcadish as we do  now. I'm not planning to buy a joystick just to play with the overhauled flight model that you're planning.

10 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

awesome

does the Crew list work in all vehicles/aircraft?

Yes it does ;)

16 minutes ago, nikiforos said:

Don't get me wrong BI I really love the effort and what you're doing to the game but if I wanted to play a flight simulator I would have gone with DCS. I'm just asking to give an option so we can play more arcadish as we do  now. I'm not planning to buy a joystick just to play with the overhauled flight model that you're planning.

Were did you hear about an overhauled flight model? The only thing they are adding is, that damage now influences the flight model. The same as with cars, helicopters etc.

6 hours ago, R3vo said:

Were did you hear about an overhauled flight model? The only thing they are adding is, that damage now influences the flight model. The same as with cars, helicopters etc.

Official word on Discord: "There's no AFM for Jets planned or in development. We'll still try to do some tweaks, but it's not our primary goal for Jets. We tried to focus on the radar because it can be benefitial to other content too and can add some variety into scenarios."

http://imgur.com/a/Xid6o

Something is wrong with the GPS, it looks like it's up side down.

I am moving from north to south towards wp 5. On the GPS it looks like I am moving from south to north.

1 hour ago, R3vo said:

http://imgur.com/a/Xid6o

Something is wrong with the GPS, it looks like it's up side down.

I am moving from north to south towards wp 5. On the GPS it looks like I am moving from south to north.

That's a feature. GPS now rotates so you are always facing up, notice the gridlines

30 minutes ago, thecanadianvending said:

That's a feature. GPS now rotates so you are always facing up, notice the gridlines

....:face_palm:How could I forget about that. I actually noticed that immediately yesterday and thought: "Oh that kinda cool.".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R3vo said:

....:face_palm:How could I forget about that. I actually noticed that immediately yesterday and thought: "Oh that kinda cool.".

You shouldn't feel bad, there is a problem with the GPS, but it's very hard to notice right away as the GPS UI/UX is horrible.

What made you think it's upside down is the following:

The markers don't preserve direction. An arrow marker pointing north will always point up on the rotating GPS, meaning if you fly south, it will point south. You can see it in your picture, WP 5 is pointing south, yet on the minimap it's pointing north. Area marker that is wider than it is taller will rotate as you rotate making absolutely no sense. (Simple solution here is to not rotate marker bodies, just the labels if there are any.)

The GPS itself is very hard to read, especially when you're moving and especially now that the GPS is moving as well:

• Everything is transparent with samey colored lines. 
  • It's hard to tell at a glance what's roads and what's elevation lines, what is ground and what is sea.
  • Text is mostly dark on a dark background with absolutely no contrast.
  • GPS zooms in and out automatically based on speed, and it hard to keep track of what's going on, especially in things like helicopters that can vary their speed a lot.

Let's just say that there would be a lot of lost people and fatalities if it was a real life commercial product. :tounge_o: BI, plz fix.

• Like 2

The PIP camera system I found really great, and even more so since ground vehicles like tanks had it as well. Though for the gunner camera, we should just get the gun sight view. Since that is more useful and also realistic. Because not having that cuts out a lot of information that the vehicle commander really should have.

• Like 1

On 16.12.2016 at 9:58 PM, x3kj said:

I very much doubt this... it takes a looot more to convert the UI over to a 3D surface. There is no "render UI to texture" feature yet that would make this easier.

What would be cool though if you could define a texture file that is used as surrounding/backdrop for original UI per vehicle. The frame of the monitor basically.

I agree, altough a integrated MFD would be cool i dont think its where the priority is or should be at this stage. But to have somewhat of a frame would atleast make the "pilot/ gunner" feel its not a magical screen but a monitor of some sort.

A bit like the CTAB / F16 versions ( slightly smaller frames would be good though...window views are a luxury not to be forgotten).

On 17.12.2016 at 5:13 PM, chortles said:

Official word on Discord: "There's no AFM for Jets planned or in development. We'll still try to do some tweaks, but it's not our primary goal for Jets. We tried to focus on the radar because it can be benefitial to other content too and can add some variety into scenarios."

As long as the ONE critical thing is tweaked im a happy camper ( read airhead). Please adjust the fact that the current planes continues in a straight forward line when turning the stick left or right (except the APEX cessna model, that for some reason seems to behave more corretly, which leads me to belive it should be possilbe for other fixed wings too??).

2 hours ago, lex__1 said:

Remove the fog from the chamber window.

In any setting, the general visibility 1500-12000 meters, PIP window will show the fog at a distance of 1500 meters.

Create a new ticket for Arma3 64bit, or have the opportunity to return to this revision? https://feedback.bistudio.com/T83081(изменено)

20161218132547_1.jpg

That's a PIP thing. And according to everyone true PIP fuckin destroys your PC and servers, so unless they can find a way around it I dont see it changing anytime soon. 

Tested it out, and it's a pretty dam good improvement, but just one complain: there should be keybinds to zoom in and zoom out on the GPS and in the Radar windows

• Like 2

Nice work!

But four questions from my side. 

1. Can you add the CCIP calculated impact point as available Vector for the MFD class? Now it looks like a debugversion.

2. The GPS-Monitor isnt available in the drones cameraview and the pod-view. Is that possible to fix?

3. The engine calculates the stall-speed, wich is available as condition in the MFD class. Can a sqf-command be implemented for that condition? Maybe for scripters, who wants to implement a warning-sound or sth. like that.

4. A lasermarker for the pods would be nice.

Edited by SLP
forgot one question
  • Like 3

Can you add an indicators around to the custom info panel, which shows an abbreviation of the available infos? Currently i don't see what is selected and whats are available,.

Like the buttons in the picture below. It can be dynamic. First is should show the top ones and when the modders add new infos then more and more buttons appear to be able to display the selected one. Is it clear? What do you think?

945371ee8041018febba7f4cf687b374.jpeg

On 7. 1. 2017 at 5:19 AM, SLP said:

2. The GPS-Monitor isnt available in the drones cameraview and the pod-view. Is that possible to fix?

Strange. I have it there. Can you please send me the actual vehicle and position (uav or turret control)?

Answered the other questions in here