On 4. 2. 2017 at 1:43 PM, x3kj said:

And even if they have no sensors, there is no way to relay the information from sensors to another unit right now.

On 4. 2. 2017 at 1:57 PM, snoops_213 said:

receiveRemoteTargets

reportRemoteTargets

reportOwnPosition

@snoops_213@chortles - forgot to mention - good job on monitoring the wiki ;)

Few packets back the HLAD-link (Highly Lethal Automatic Data Link, STARMAG 5302) got silently uplinked to Dev-Branch.
The sharing is performed through Side's "center" and individual vehicles can be configured to share their target data, share their own position and/or receive target data from the center.
Datalinked targets use hollow symbols.

You can try the datalink with Drones (transmit only) and VTOLs (transmit & receive). You can also use script commands for testing it out.

As always - wip, may not be final, subject to possible naming and functionality changes. Give us your feedback!

• Like 6

Oh My Lanta..... 
I cannot wait to

1.  See the JETS DLC with all this awesome new sensor and targeting framework.
  2. See what new Air frames you are working on.
  3. See all the mods that will be possible from this framework.

Are Drones and VTOLS set up in DEV already for the datalink, with script commands usable on other vehicles via script commands? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oukej said:

@snoops_213@chortles - forgot to mention - good job on monitoring the wiki ;)

Few packets back the HLAD-link (Highly Lethal Automatic Data Link, STARMAG 5302) got silently uplinked to Dev-Branch.
The sharing is performed through Side's "center" and individual vehicles can be configured to share their target data, share their own position and/or receive target data from the center.
Datalinked targets use hollow symbols.

You can try the datalink with Drones (transmit only) and VTOLs (transmit & receive). You can also use script commands for testing it out.

As always - wip, may not be final, subject to possible naming and functionality changes. Give us your feedback!

Getting into some DCS level stuff here haha, loving it!!

Though are you able to elaborate on how it works in the Armaverse? I get the general gist how Datalink works, but in Arma not so much. Will I be able to lock things outside my usual lock range due to someone else sharing target data? Stuff like that

3 hours ago, xxgetbuck123 said:

Though are you able to elaborate on how it works in the Armaverse? I get the general gist how Datalink works, but in Arma not so much. Will I be able to lock things outside my usual lock range due to someone else sharing target data? Stuff like that

So far the datalink seems to simply mean what oukej said, that drone/VTOL sensor-detected targets show up on the VTOLs' sensor displays as hollowed squares/triangles; as far as I can tell you still need to detect them on your own sensors (appearing as solid squares/triangles on your sensor display) before they can be marked them via "Reveal target" or "Next target"... however you can tell a group subordinate to target a datalinked contact (i.e. 2-2-1 in the Arma 3 Apex keybind preset) even if you don't have line of sight to it.

Example: Stuck a Tayran (CSAT AR-2) and an ammo-less Xi'an with a UAV Terminal-equipped pilot behind a hill, the active radar off and the gunner-operated IR/visual sensor pointed away from where I'd stuck three Hummingbirds and a HEMTT Ammo on the other side of the hill some distance away... once the Tayran had moved into position to detect them their hollowed symbols appeared, and though I couldn't mark them they had been identified by the Tayran enough for me to tell my AI gunner to target them via the (complex) command menu in anticipation of a "pop-up" attack, leading to the gunner pointing the turret with its sensors in their direction.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oukej said:

Very nice! Can the AI use the information it receives from sensor transmissions properly yet?

This is great news! Will this work for all suitable vehicles? And only vehicles? Could this be then added to say a tatical radio so that troops could send/get said info? This has great potential if so. Only problem would be info over load. Maybe a way to filter who should see what? Maybe cas aircraft only get info on ground tgts and a2a aircraft only get info on similar, infantry and ground vehicles same as cas unless they are anti air? Or make different radar types in aircraft a2a mode a2g mode which would let you see whats possibly out their? And does the reported tgt dissappear after a certain time of lost contact? And as x3kj asked what is the AI like with this info? If this was added to say mortar or bigger artillery would they engage the tgt? 

Hi,

great job on new radar system but i think they are a big problem with range for jet.

In a jet like F16,  AA radar can detect plane with a range of 80 nm (148km) and AG radar can detect ground unit at 40 nm (74 km).

The actual max range 12km is clearly too short, in air to air combat  you can't have BVR (behind visual range) fight because  you are all time in range of IR missile like AIM 9 sidewinder (range 18km) before can lock and engage a target. The radar missile like AIM 120 (range 50-70km) are uselless because no have range of radar to use the power of a fox 3 fire.

The TGP system is good but need something like auto pilot to keep altitude and vector of the plane to permit at the pilot to looking for target and lock it.

The important point is to improve the range of view because a jet can release a gbu at 20 000 feet (6km) altitude without problem and at this moment the fog in pip is very too thick to have something good.

Sorry for my english not my native language.

2 hours ago, theunitbettyblue said:

In a jet like F16,  AA radar can detect plane with a range of 80 nm (148km) and AG radar can detect ground unit at 40 nm (74 km).

The actual max range 12km is clearly too short, in air to air combat  you can't have BVR (behind visual range) fight because  you are all time in range of IR missile like AIM 9 sidewinder (range 18km) before can lock and engage a target. The radar missile like AIM 120 (range 50-70km) are uselless because no have range of radar to use the power of a fox 3 fire.

It has been one of the concerns. We can't aim for the realistic values here. Arma terrains are too small for proper BVR. Currently we are looking at something like ranges above 4km as the Radar's territory and squeezing the others below. Partially based on data we get about what view distances the players use.
We need to scale things down. Thinking about how to best convey the properties, pros and cons, and usage of each system to provide that #buzzword "authentic experience"  even within the game limits. For example we realize that modern IRST and optical systems can extend the usual within visual range combat well into BVR territory. But that's something we couldn't turn into fair gameplay without simulating tons of other aspects. Every game has its certain level of abstraction :)

• Like 2

So, assuming BIS is balancing for "Vanilla" game play and base game, will the framework allow mods such as ACE, or other airframe mods such as Firewills F16's/F18's/A-10s to expand those ranges to a greater extent?

POOK's SAM pack gives a more realistic engagement range for SAM sites to greater challenge pilots that want that sort of thing.  Will the new JETS DLC content allow mod creators to push those boundaries for near or actual BVR in their mods?

Thank to take time answer.

Sure i m agree with you about game limits and i m sure is hard thing to you change some aspect in game and have all player happy.

But i think new content need change tactical and gameplay aspect like helicopter DLC do it. I m little afraid that dlc will no really change the gameplay and the possibilty of the game.

If sensor stay the same as helicopter or current plane we have, new jet will no have real reason to be use (buy) because : why i will use a jet (buy) when A10 or heli can do the same job.

By lot aspect jet dlc can be very nice if he improve tactical and aerial superioty.

Could always have AIM-120 style missiles have way higher speeds but low turning radius, while AIM-9 style missiles have slower speed but really good turning radius. 

Then again that can be user defined in the config if someone is modding so not too sure anyway. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ski2060 said:

Will the new JETS DLC content allow mod creators to push those boundaries for near or actual BVR in their mods?

its all config based if you haven't payed attention...

EDIT:

It would be extremely usefull to be able to change the different sensor target sizes of a vehicle dynamically ingame via script commands (where default is always the config setting). That way we could give boni or mali to specific vehicles based on events or functionalities. E.g. A mobile strategic missile launcher or a large radar would be alot easier to detect when it is operational / in ready state. But when folded up, it would be smaller. Scripted afterburner systems could increase irTargetsize property for a jet while in use, etc etc. and then there is the scifi stuff of course... "Stealth mode engaged captain!"

7 hours ago, x3kj said:

its all config based if you haven't payed attention...

Yes, I know modders will be able to config a large portion of the parameters for Sensors/targeting/RCS etc...  but will they be able to modify the Radar Range display?  If you get targets out beyond your Display, will you be able to target them?
Right now the Radar only displays out to 12KM.  If a modder comes along and makes his airframe with a 20KM radar, will he be able to actually lock targets beyond 12KM?

The Custom info panels are quite open and customizable. Individual vehicles can have different sets of modules and their submodes (e.g. ranges - it's up to the modder if he or she wants just two - e.g. 2km/4km - submodes or 666km/1337km/2035km/1968km/....). The modules can look differently, have different symbology. There can even be more than two panels (only there are no actions to control them).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, oukej said:

The Custom info panels are quite open and customizable. Individual vehicles can have different sets of modules and their submodes (e.g. ranges - it's up to the modder if he or she wants just two - e.g. 2km/4km - submodes or 666km/1337km/2035km/1968km/....). The modules can look differently, have different symbology. There can even be more than two panels (only there are no actions to control them).

Wow.. lots of customization there.  So a mod can have a third or more display with custom info, just no ability to change that Display to something else.
I think modders are going to have a field day with this content!  I will certainly be pushing my unit to grab JETS as soon as it is available.

Something I'm curious about, is it feasible to have something like this for Infantry in mod form? IE can we create a man portable non vehicle entity that can share remote targets?

On 16/02/2017 at 1:11 PM, bfgfreak said:

Something I'm curious about, is it feasible to have something like this for Infantry in mod form? IE can we create a man portable non vehicle entity that can share remote targets?

After having a quick play around in its current form it would need to have the AI learn to react to it for that to work. At the moment it just shows a white symbol on your sensor display but you cant target it without your sensors knowing about it. If you connect to the uav while in the vtol and detect the target you can order your gunner to target it as chortles said and if you're copilot your pilot will order the gunner target it, but other wise AI don't react. I think with either scripting or expanding the reported targets this has great potential. However if this was made as part of the stock vehicles with AI reaction it would change/break all the missions/campaigns that have been made. What would be good if this info could go to a central point first (HQ/Radar/FDC) then handed off to vehicles with targetable info the AI can react to, the trick here would be to not over power this. With out this "unit" info sharing stays as it is. If expanded to ground units instead of info on sensor display, unit positions on the map would be more realistic. And as not to break current missions make a tatical radio that can be added to enable all this info sharing. Anyway looking forward to seeing where they do take this.

1 hour ago, snoops_213 said:

What would be good if this info could go to a central point first (HQ/Radar/FDC) then handed off to vehicles with targetable info the AI can react to

As per oukej further up on this page, "The sharing is performed through Side's "center" and individual vehicles can be configured to share their target data, share their own position and/or receive target data from the center." Does what you're looking for mandate a 'physical'/'real' hub?

• Like 1

Is this going to allow for larger battlescapes (aka terrains) to be used in the game? I am talking about Australia or bigger terrains. That to me is the only reason to have the Jets DLC aspect as part of A3 or any ArmA version going forward. With the limitations of ArmA in the current state being able to have relatively complex flight data translated into the game is a tremendous undertaking even to make them super arcade like. 

@reschke No idea where you got a connection between terrain size and sensors from, other than the possibility of sensors and the sensor display resolutions being able to go 'that far', because as it stands the engine can already do 122 x 122 km (versus Altis' ~31 x 31 km).

It was a question. Also show me a persistent multiplayer coop campaign server that is running a 122km x 122km...I want to see how they do it.

1 hour ago, reschke said:

It was a question. Also show me a persistent multiplayer coop campaign server that is running a 122km x 122km...I want to see how they do it.

That'd require people to make missions for that terrain, which I'm sure you know is a loaded hypothetical due to 'how many communities are large enough to need such a large terrain'... but the terrain does exist.

• Like 2

While large, that terrain is very rudimentary and basically a textured height-map with a  few buildings on it.
Which I guess is OK if you're playing Falcon 2.0 or something.

On Topic:  This DLC will allow modders to make Radar/Sensors/Targeting to fit whatever range they want.  We should be seeing realism mods expanding ranges for all to a much longer range than currently implemented.

Or Take On Helicopters, which is where this terrain comes from. TBH, it'd be quite good if it wasn't for the "fake" rivers, which would need to be updated to use real water. It could use buildings from CUP (notably, it includes the entirety of Shapur map from A2). It's mostly flat and cities aren't very interesting, but for aviation, tank combat over open plains or large-scale strategic action, it would be awesome.

The point was, however, that ArmA can handle terrains of that size. In fact, it was possible as far back as ArmA2 (ToH uses the same engine). 

Mods are fine, but IMO vanilla jets should have a bit longer radar range than they currently do. Of course, L-159 doesn't exactly have a powerful radar IRL, so the range would shorter than more powerful fighters. Still, the real one can reach out to 75km. I don't think it should be scaled down to 12.

2 hours ago, dragon01 said:

It's mostly flat and cities aren't very interesting, but for aviation, tank combat over open plains or large-scale strategic action, it would be awesome.

I think you've described the conundrum with "big maps in combined arms games" in a nutshell -- optimizing for air vs. optimizing for infantry -- which probably has something to do with why the vanilla range values have been explicitly scaled down "[p]artially based on data we get about what view distances the players use," although the 'active radar sensor range = half that of maximum sensor display resolution' aspect is presumably due to both how the active radar was 'game balanced' (namely passive radar) and due to the abstraction of radar cross section "as a coefficient of RADAR Sensor's range within the given combat situation" allowing for a sufficiently large vehicle to be detected from that far out.