Richard.biely

64-bit Executables Feedback

You do have the pagefile enabled?

EDIT: Okay, since I also have an i7 3770K /w. 32GB and am not experiencing those errors.

11 hours ago, kridian said:

Computer specs are at the bottom of my sig. GTX 980 Ti • Intel i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz • Samsung SSD • 32GB G.Skill 2400Mhz DDR3 RAM • Win7 x64

Might try it without my overclock later. Never know.

NoPOW, yes my pagefile is enabled.

Ah sorry i didn't see that. I am running:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K

Mainboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme

Memory: 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 F4-3300C16Q-16GRKD

Graphics Card: Evga 980 Hydro Copper

Storage: 4x 120GB Kingston V300 in RAID 0 (System) // 2x 500GB Samsung 840 Evo in RAID 0 (Arma 3)

Some of our hardware is similar. I wonder if it might be OS related, i am running Windows 10. Also yes, it is always a good idea not to run overclocking when testing a already somewhat unstable build.

11 hours ago, NoPOW said:

You do have the pagefile enabled?

EDIT: Okay, since I also have an i7 3770K /w. 32GB and am not experiencing those errors.

What OS are you running?

Not entirely sure how Game Updater handles updating - does it not delta patch?

Started downloading yesterday and got about half way through the 25 GB before I had to stop. There were 16 GB in the dev directory's addons folder alone.

Fired it up this afternoon  and it showed a projected download of 25GB again. Left it running to attend to other matters, came back to find the connection to Steam had dropped for some reason. Reconnected and told GU to start and the damn thing started all over from scratch again. Just letting it run now and hope for no more issues - it will have used almost 48 GB of my 50GB per month.

I won't be updating it again this month! Do BIS say anywhere how large is each update of the 64-bit files?

TIA

Orc

34 minutes ago, orcinus said:

I won't be updating it again this month! Do BIS say anywhere how large is each update of the 64-bit files?

I don't know how GU handles the updates (probably the same way as Steam; with delta patching), but they're quite big if you own Apex and they add up if you update every day.
The last 20 updates, which is a month's worth, was about 35GB in total.

• Like 1

Cheers, Greenfist. I could manage 35GB a month currently, exceptions being if there are big updates to non-delta patched mods like UNSUNG - then I just skip a few updates.

On 6-1-2017 at 9:24 AM, GanX said:

What OS are you running?

Windows 10 Pro 1607 (with large pages enabled for both A3 and my user account)

Please release 64bit to Stable ASAP.  I can't wait!!  Like tomorrow?  haha, one can dream.   This is the best Arma update to date!

• Like 1

Hold your horses! Don't expect miracles because you will be disappointed

• Like 1

Nah i get it, i was just being sarcastic because this update changes everything!

13 hours ago, nikiforos said:

Hold your horses! Don't expect miracles because you will be disappointed

yes a miracles will happen , because this update should remove the 3 fps bug forever , cant wait taking to long :don14:

8 hours ago, claws01 said:

because this update should remove the 3 fps bug forever , cant wait taking to long :don14:

and apply 1 FPS bug, lol

Hope they finally fix particles problems. Stop them from disappear. It it in like since visual update.

• Like 1

@ruPal

can you make simple reproduction mission which would demonstrate the issues with particles visibility / angles / lifetime ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dwarden said:

@ruPal

can you make simple reproduction mission which would demonstrate the issues with particles visibility / angles / lifetime ?

ruPal is correct. The 64bit version of Arma definitely removes particles much more aggressively than 32bit. The best way to see this happening is to use a particle effects mod such as Blastcore and then play an effects-heavy mission (or run YAAB) back to back on 32bit and 64bit. You will see that particle effects (particularly smoke) will fade away much faster on 64bit than 32bit. Also 64bit will sometimes instantly remove a smoke trail, e.g. from a destroyed vehicle. The smoke trail will be present but will suddenly just vanish. Then sometimes it will 'grow back' again from the fire.

Not the easiest thing to explain but if you follow the process above you will see what I mean. Perhaps the particle lifetime on 64bit is lower than 32bit, or the total simultaneous particle count is reduced?

hence the need for repro mission / case where it can be compared 1:1 between 32-bit and 64-bit

6 hours ago, dwarden said:

@ruPal

There is no need in mission. Repro: spawn in Virtual Arsenal on VR map as Squad leader, don't move mouse and throw all smoke grenades. Wait some time and try to zoom in, wait, then zoom out, repeat. Bug is not 100% clear here, so restart and repeat several time to see particles bug. One time it is fine, next time is bugged.
Here is the latest on 32bit (no mods):

Older (no mods) - see how blue smoke behave after particles start to drop (fast disappear 0:04-0:07), then on 0:35 white smoke disappear and appear after zoom in:

Here are the others (modded with blastcore), black tentacles disappear and appear after zoom in:

It is in since visual update 1.60, I think.

I am getting like 10 fps if launch the 64bit version of Arma even in the main menu, even in the editor on stratis with no units placed . 32bit works fine with 14-45fps depending on the situation. Anyone else having the same issues ?

So there is no 64 bit server DEV build for us to start testing out? How can you connect to a server that is only run 32 bit and expect any difference in game play on a client that is 64 bit? It does not work like this, trust me on this. Yes a lot of the game structure run on the client side but 64 bit instructions on the server side will make a heck of difference in game play.

Is there a 64 bit DEV for server side?

So, I installed ArmA III on purpose just to test this new 64bit thing.

Don't know how I can help since my laptop is "high-low-end".

Anyway, did some benchmarks with YAAB and the results with 64bit won despite in second tests being way diferente than the first one (Restarted the game between tests).

Here's my contribute below:

All settings low minus Terrain that is set to Standard.

Spoiler

FJVCrsy.jpg

Take care all!

*proceeds to uninstall*

It seems like the last couple of releases has also impacted FpS in 64b exe.  Since then I have been having a lot of CTD and frames hovering around 34 where before it was an easy 45+.  Not sure what's going on but the changelogs don't make sense why all a sudden the performance booster I first saw with 64b is slowing going away.

i have submitted my CTD bug in feedback tracker.  Hoping someone will take a look. 

• Like 2

SLI is not working.

I thought that cause of this is different exe name so I added ARMA3_x64.exe to ARMA 3 profile by NVInspector but it still does not work. 

Currently running on one gpu until problem is fixed. 

Running with forced AFR2 mode makes second card work but it may lead to problems as there is no profile associated, just forced general settings. Please contact with Nvidia and make a new profile for 64 bit or fix your executable. 

2 hours ago, Godlikeru said:

SLI is not working.

I thought that cause of this is different exe name so I added ARMA3_x64.exe to ARMA 3 profile by NVInspector but it still does not work. 

Currently running on one gpu until problem is fixed. 

Running with forced AFR2 mode makes second card work but it may lead to problems as there is no profile associated, just forced general settings. Please contact with Nvidia and make a new profile for 64 bit or fix your executable. 

My SLI is working, are you saying this causes crashes though?  My SLI is not running at full strength though...average about 30 to 40% usage

I have no crashes at all. SLI don't work in 64 bit mode unless you force it.

On 2017-01-14 at 3:34 AM, whatsupdoc_1_27 said:

So there is no 64 bit server DEV build for us to start testing out? How can you connect to a server that is only run 32 bit and expect any difference in game play on a client that is 64 bit? It does not work like this, trust me on this. Yes a lot of the game structure run on the client side but 64 bit instructions on the server side will make a heck of difference in game play.

Is there a 64 bit DEV for server side?

As I had found out from Dwarden a few pages back you need to download the dev branch of the game client and run the server executables downloaded with the client. It'll be a larger download since you'll be downloading client files with it. Also expect a 5GB to 10GB update almost every day on dev branch.

On 2017-01-14 at 6:38 PM, jcae2798 said:

It seems like the last couple of releases has also impacted FpS in 64b exe.  Since then I have been having a lot of CTD and frames hovering around 34 where before it was an easy 45+.  Not sure what's going on but the changelogs don't make sense why all a sudden the performance booster I first saw with 64b is slowing going away.

i have submitted my CTD bug in feedback tracker.  Hoping someone will take a look. 

Been noticing a major increase in CTDs as well on dev branch. I play on a private server I run for myself and a few friends; My friend Shields usually sets up a mission for us with Zeus, most of the time it's just me and him on the server. And I swear, without fail, he crashes every single time we're entering the AO on foot. My crashes seem to be timed much more randomly and aren't as common as his. I even had the server crash once since switching to dev build, which I've never had happen before. Could you do me a favour and link the ticket here? I'd like to submit the .bidmp and .rpt files the next time I have a random crash and see if I can get my buddy's crash dump up there as well for BI to look at. About the FPS, I didn't notice any gradual reduction of FPS but I just now checked and realized I'm only getting 30fps or so in my base on Tanoa, which is a bit lower than the 40 to 50 I recall getting before. I'll have to look into the FPS more.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Drift_91 said:

..he crashes every single time we're entering the AO on foot. My crashes seem to be timed much more randomly and aren't as common as his. I even had the server crash once since switching to dev build, which I've never had happen before.

There seems to be a crash related to looking at a Dynamic Simulation-enabled group in the dev build.

SN M. Buchannan (thread)Basically, if you use any zoom optics while dynamic sim is set to work on view distance, you get a divide by zero or error or a generic 0xC0000005 - ACCESS_VIOLATION error.  This happens on all maps I've tried, using complete vanilla A3 or using the mods I tend to use.

It happens primarily at the very beginning about 3 seconds after I load in.  However if it doesn't happen then, it happens as soon as I try to scope a dynamic sim group with an optic.  I believe the former occurs when the group can see me at game start, and the latter happens when only I can see them.

• Like 1

Im getting crashes after "Arma 3 is low on memory" notification. Weird becuase I have still a lot of free ram.