Richard.biely

64-bit Executables Feedback

To make things slightly more organized here, this thread serves as a place to collect feedback for Arma 3's new 64-bit executables published on Dev-Branch.

Do not hesitate to share any of your thoughts and issues found while using them.

Thank you!

• Like 11

Noticed 2 things already:

Very aggressive cleanup routine? When I load Blastcore Edited or BSAE edition and run the YAAB mission, I can see the smoke just disappear when the camera turns around. With 32 bit, the columns still keeps rising and stays there persistently throughout the mission until it EOL.

Also, lost 10 FPS in YAAB with the same settings and mods vs 32 bit.

4.5 GHZ Haswell, 32 GB 2400 MHZ CL10 DDR3, AMD 6950 2GB CFX unlocked. Game and OS on SSD.

1080p All settings low except for:

Textures = Ultra

Objects = Normal

Terrain = Normal

Water = Ultra

Anistropic = Ultra

SMAA Ultra

AA OFF

Sharpen 200%

DOF OFF

BLUR OFF

3800 view distance for both terrain and object

I will be upgrading the GPU once the next version comes out but there should NOT be a 10 FPS drop due to extra memory handling. 

Probably growing pain and needs optimizations.

• Like 3

As I mentioned in another thread, too many people are looking towards the 64 bit exe as a solution and fix to all their issues, It's going to disappoint a few folks methinks.

I've had my own issues trying to run it, and it kept crashing, only to find out my game controller I use to fly choppers is the culprit and cause the crash.

Also ACE3 and ALiVE are not compatible yet either, which is sure to upset more folks.

Growing pains indeed, patience in abundance is also needed.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, ziele said:

Is the DEV Branch 1.67 run x64 Arma 3 ??

Yup since last night:

42 minutes ago, domokun said:

Yup since last night:

not quite accurate, you have to go into your Arma 3 game launcher and under the parameters, you then have to select the 64 bit exe, it's not the default exe in Dev Branch. (still 32 bit exe)
It took a few posts from Greenfist for me to locate the actual 64 bit launcher, even when it's there in the main game folder in steam.

5 minutes ago, road runner said:

Greenchair

God damn it, road bummer. :D

About the 64bit though: I haven't managed to crash it yet like the x86 one. :rthumb:

• Like 3

Just now, Greenfist said:

God damn it, road bummer. :D

About the 64bit though: I haven't managed to crash it yet like the x86 one. :rthumb:

sorry Greenfist I'm on another forum and there's a greenchair there, sincerest apologies sir!!

• Like 3

Since 64bit is supposed to deliver more stable fps, what would be the best way to benchmark that? A simple graph which shows the fps changes over time?

Anyone can help??

16:07:33: Starting BattlEye Service...
16:07:46: Failed to start BattlEye Service (0).
16:07:46: Installing BattlEye Service...
16:07:46: Successfully installed BattlEye Service.
16:07:48: Updating BattlEye Service (NOTE: This may take several minutes to complete)...
16:08:39: Failed to start BattlEye Service (0).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, R3vo said:

Since 64bit is supposed to deliver more stable fps, what would be the best way to benchmark that? A simple graph which shows the fps changes over time?

As far I know, the difference is about the memory usage and less loading of assets from disk.
I made simple test mission where the camera flies all over Altis and multiple random objects spawn every second. I didn't check any actual numbers yet, but the 64-bit definitely stutters a lot less because more stuff is already in the memory. So I guess you'd want to check difference in the amount of below average frame times between the binaries.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, R3vo said:

Something with high view distance. I felt like the performance was smoother with 12/12km view distances when I was flying around in Altis, like the ground textures loaded faster, so no stuttering from that and the fps was maybe higher.

Quick test on YAAB didn't show any increase, just a small decrease. So like it was said in OPREP, you should see difference with higher view distance.

8 minutes ago, ziele said:

Anyone can help??

16:07:33: Starting BattlEye Service...
16:07:46: Failed to start BattlEye Service (0).
16:07:46: Installing BattlEye Service...
16:07:46: Successfully installed BattlEye Service.
16:07:48: Updating BattlEye Service (NOTE: This may take several minutes to complete)...
16:08:39: Failed to start BattlEye Service (0).

Disable BattlEye on launch.

Here's a quick comparison with YAAB

http://imgur.com/a/fQa43

64 bit felt more smooth compared to 32 bit and the graph kinda shows why.

• Like 3

i7 3700 3.4ghz
R9 290x 4gb ddr5
16 gb ddr3 ram

64bit (devbranch) 29 FPS         3 FPS increase
32bit(devbranch)   often freezing and lag  26fps 
32bit(current version) 26 FPS

Everything ULTRA

• Like 1

64 bit makes the game incredibly smooth for me. I always noticed an annoying stutter when I would zoom in on things using the 32bit, but that is completely gone with 64.

Whats impressive is that I can also run at max view distance without loss of performance and the framerate remains smooth throughout. Game has crashed a few times, but I'm sure

that will be ironed out eventually. 

• Like 3

unstable as expected BUT...damn...In more than one and a half year of developing on the Taunus Terrain...i can say..Thank you Bohemia. It runs great in terms of loading and smoothness at all the unique stuff we placed on the map.

Good job guys!

Please try to take your time to polish it as good as you can to make it stable against all odds..no matter how long it takes!

Thank you again for some "splendid" magic ;-)

Regards

Chaser

• Like 6

I got a arma3battleye.exe issue earlier with the small update "The extended attributed are inconsistent", arma3 will now not load unless I turn off battleye in the launcher. I am now downloading x64 off the dev branch to see if it fixes anything. ? will battleye also be a 64bit.exe

Please don't release this until DEVS have a chance to convert all mods. We have over 15GB of mods from different developers on our pub server. I'm all for 64bit, we would benefit a lot form it, but it cant be released prematurely. 

about x64, one important detail the -maxram= is now limited to 8191 , this is temporary limitation and shall be lifted sometime in future

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, spanishsurfer said:

Please don't release this until DEVS have a chance to convert all mods. We have over 15GB of mods from different developers on our pub server. I'm all for 64bit, we would benefit a lot form it, but it cant be released prematurely. 

How many of those mods use 32bit libraries that need rebuilding? Not that many probably.
And I assume 32bit will still be around, even forever maybe.

• Like 1

Worse performance with 64-bit binary on low-end machine. Stuttering and about 15 fps less than with 32-bit. Tested is with low detail settings in Chernarus winter, it runs very nicely on 32-bit.

I think this is weird unless something else has been changed. Maybe some caching or lod switching is different in 64-bit build? :sad:

why would the 64bit be incompatible? The changes should be all internal. Apart from the application name (that may play a role in stuff that uses extensions, idk) nothing changed in how the game works at the level that mods can access. And 64bit exe or not likely remains players choice, since BI can't determine if 64bit runs better or without problems on every system. Problems with 64bit? use the other exe.

11 minutes ago, Greenfist said:

And I assume 32bit will still be around, even forever maybe.

Speaking of that, do you guys also plan to ditch 32 bit support sometime in the future? I'm no expert, but I imagine that having to manage 2 .exes could get troublesome. And considering that 90% of Steam players are on 64 bits, I don't think there's any real point in keeping it, once the 64 bits version is nice and stable.