Malden DLC discussion

I'll try to explain decisions behind Malden DLC a bit to make our reasons clear:

Lads working on Project Argo had to start with some terrain to work with, and as there is a plenty of them remembering Cold War Crisis, they started with the shape of Malden. Eventually, idea of Bohemia Incubator came in and Project Argo was meant to be released into its public prototype. As we expected our community to be interested in the terrain, brave environment designers from Project Argo decided not only to focus on playable locations for the game, but to eventually complete the island as a whole - including the areas not used by Project Argo - for the Arma 3 players. And it only makes sense to us to release such a terrain as a free update to the Arma 3 platform :icon_twisted:

Indeed, as the terrain was mainly meant for prototyping, it uses Arma 3 assets, and some of the variants. There is a plenty of the old Malden spirit even on Malden 2035 - there are many landmarks on the same locations to remind people of stories of the Cold War Crisis. Still, as it is mentioned even in the Roadmap, Malden 2035 is re-using the Arma 3 assets.

As with all of our terrains, we want to support them with some playable content. We are planning to add some of the standard game modes to the Malden DLC and possibly even some more :icon_twisted:

• Like 12

I'll try to explain decisions behind Malden DLC a bit to make our reasons clear:

Lads working on Project Argo had to start with some terrain to work with, and as there is a plenty of them remembering Cold War Crisis, they started with the shape of Malden. Eventually, idea of Bohemia Incubator came in and Project Argo was meant to be released into its public prototype. As we expected our community to be interested in the terrain, brave environment designers from Project Argo decided not only to focus on playable locations for the game, but to eventually complete the island as a whole - including the areas not used by Project Argo - for the Arma 3 players. And it only makes sense to us to release such a terrain as a free update to the Arma 3 platform :icon_twisted:

Indeed, as the terrain was mainly meant for prototyping, it uses Arma 3 assets, and some of the variants. There is a plenty of the old Malden spirit even on Malden 2035 - there are many landmarks on the same locations to remind people of stories of the Cold War Crisis. Still, as it is mentioned even in the Roadmap, Malden 2035 is re-using the Arma 3 assets.

As with all of our terrains, we want to support them with some playable content. We are planning to add some of the standard game modes to the Malden DLC and possibly even some more :icon_twisted:

But users will not be forced to download it? It will be possibility to not install it as DLC (steam selection) right?

Thanks for taking the time to post in the thread and tell us the full situation. As previously i don't think forum members were aware of all the facts, i guess we are lucky we ended up with a new version of Malden :). As Project Argo team could have decided to start with desert island instead for their new terrain :blink: .

I wonder what playable content we will see with Malden  :D

• Like 3

As we expected our community to be interested in the terrain, brave environment designers from Project Argo decided not only to focus on playable locations for the game, but to eventually complete the island as a whole - including the areas not used by Project Argo - for the Arma 3 players. And it only makes sense to us to release such a terrain as a free update to the Arma 3 platform :icon_twisted:

That's very nice, i appreciate it, even if there isn't new assets, which is understandable for a free addition.

• Like 1

Thank you for explaining.

A free dlc is always welcome, but since you guys already give shape to Malden, it might be worth consideration to make a non-free version of Malden; invest some extra to make a real copy with authentic buildings and vegatation, wich players have to pay for (not to much of course...). So offer the free version as it is and give something realy special for the fans willing to pay for. Just an idea.

• Like 7

A free dlc is always welcome, but since you guys already give shape to Malden, it might be worth consideration to make a non-free version of Malden; invest some extra to make a real copy with authentic buildings and vegatation, wich players have to pay for (not to much of course...). So offer the free version as it is and give something realy special for the fans willing to pay for. Just an idea.

Note how large the "bar" is for Apex and therefore Tanoa...

a3_post_launch_development_roadmap.png

Now put that into perspective for "just one new map dlc". Apex contains more than island + assetts but its still represents the majority of the work.

• Like 3

[...]

I wonder what playable content we will see with Malden  :D

may i politely ask for the original "steal the car" and the mission of the ofp demo version, in which you had to take the city of "Houdan" (?), but then had to immediately retreat to the beach for heli exfil. i played that mission a hundred times...

• Like 8

Note how large the "bar" is for Apex and therefore Tanoa...

a3_post_launch_development_roadmap.png

Now put that into perspective for "just one new map dlc". Apex contains more than island + assetts but its still represents the majority of the work.

Slightly off-topic, that long bar for Apex is yet another justification for the price of the DLC. Over two years of development for Tanoa, wow!

The other impressive item of note. The free dlc of Malden has more time given for the project than the tank and jet DLC, so it doesn't appear to be as 'thrown together' as some are implying with their disappointment.

• Like 1

The free dlc of Malden has more time given for the project than the tank and jet DLC, so it doesn't appear to be as 'thrown together' as some are implying with their disappointment.

Or it means the tank and Jet DLC is very very tiny :) But I am sure you are right. i was only joking.

• Like 1

We have considered that, indeed :icon_twisted:

However, as asset production is the part that takes significant time, we rather decided to put more effort into Tanoan buildings, see the platform part of Roadmap, and to add more interiors / ruins to buildings there.

Realistically speaking, there is a great version of the old, classic, Malden by CUP for example. What would You expect to make a difference between CUP and our re-creation? :icon_twisted:

• Like 8

may i politely ask for the original "steal the car" and the mission of the ofp demo version, in which you had to take the city of "Houdan" (?), but then had to immediately retreat to the beach for heli exfil. i played that mission a hundred times...

Never could say why but that "steal the car" mission was in his own way great.

• Like 2

Never could say why but that "steal the car" mission was in his own way great.

And mission "Cleaning", "Demolition man", masterpieces.

• Like 1

What would You expect to make a difference between CUP and our re-creation? :icon_twisted:

Hi pettka,

first of all thanks for taking the time to clarify our doubts.

As far as maybe trying to answer your question, which raises a good point, i'll answer it by restating what i said before. Malden by CUP is Malden 1985. It is a recreation on Arma 3 how Malden looks in 1985 in the Armaverse.

But for Malden 2035, i would expect an island that would have grown 50 years in the future. Take the old layout, leave the old buildings right where they were, and have new buildings around the town. This is what happens in real life right? Towns and cities which have their historical centers. Furthermore, some new buildings could be some memorials to the lives lost in 1985 (for instance) maybe some easter eggs too...

I feel this would be a great homage to the original OFP, to its legacy, story and characters as i consider the Armaverse part of my life. OFP is my favorite game ever, number 1, and from 2 to 20 is maybe all MS-DOS games.. :)

Anyway i wouldn't mind paying for this Armaverse 2035 future Malden, even if my favorite was actually Everon, but i would be very happy to see the Armaverse further expanded.

• Like 5

Yeah and put one of them CSAT military something-something domes somewhere. :>

Those are science facility domes, as far as I know- they just tend to appear in military areas. The would be AAF or NATO, not CSAT, anyway, due to CSAT being the invaders of the territory. 

CSAT didn't invade Altis. Besides, the big (likely) research facility east of the main airport looks awfully similar to the CSAT emblem on the map.

Let me offer a slightly different theory of the original Malden vs 2035 ones.

Maybe back in the day they didn't have assets or resources to create the Greek Malden they wanted, so they simply used East European buildings.

As someone mentioned already, the actual Malden would probably more closer to the 2035 one...

Those are science facility domes, as far as I know- they just tend to appear in military areas. The would be AAF or NATO, not CSAT, anyway, due to CSAT being the invaders of the territory. 

After the events taking place in the Boot Camp mini campaign, AAF and CSAT becoming more and more allies. Nato forces were present on Stratis only from there on. These research facilities on Altis were clearly CSAT, especially since the seismic device was stationed and tested in one of those.

Let me offer a slightly different theory of the original Malden vs 2035 ones.

Maybe back in the day they didn't have assets or resources to create the Greek Malden they wanted, so they simply used East European buildings.

As someone mentioned already, the actual Malden would probably more closer to the 2035 one...

Whatever, people loved old one, now they simply will not download new one. I mean old players.

• Like 2

Whatever, people loved old one, now they simply will not download new one. I mean old players.

Well it'll probably be in a required patch, so you're downloading it regardless of what your opinions of it are. Secondly, stop acting like a moody child. If you don't like it, don't use it when it comes out. The CUP version will always be there if you prefer that one.

I will.

• Like 5

there's a saying... dont look into the mouth of a horse you got for free or something like that...

Also, even with not having everything custom, the screens they show make it look quite a bit different due to the higher amount of green and different choice of main vegetation compared to altis

• Like 2

Well it'll probably be in a required patch, so you're downloading it regardless of what your opinions of it are. Secondly, stop acting like a moody child. If you don't like it, don't use it when it comes out. The CUP version will always be there if you prefer that one.

I'm not acting any child, i'm just writing my opinion. Would you like to see Niko Bellic in GTA 6 (Malden in Arma 3)? Would you like to see Niko as gey?

I'm not acting any child, i'm just writing my opinion. Would you like to see Niko Bellic in GTA 6 (Malden in Arma 3)? Would you like to see Niko as gey?

What?

Why not? A character's personality can change if you provide appropriate reasoning for understanding that change. It is a natural process occuring all the time.

Bringing this crude example for yours back to the original topic:

Bohemia provided reasons for using other assets and this is reasonable to many maybe not all.

I understand it however and am very happy with the changes they made.