Malden DLC discussion

If Project Argo is on Malden, it means that the map could be tried now on this new game. (is that even a "game"?) I download it and I let you know.

Malden looks sweet from what I've seen from Project Argo!

Malden looks sweet from what I've seen from Project Argo!

Show screens instead of talking about it :D
  • Like 1

Show screens instead of talking about it :D

Here's a look at the map.

• Like 2

So the Malden is filled with Greek buildings? ah :/

That's what they said in the roadmap, it will be rebuilt with already available assets, however, there are also a few more assets in Argo, not sure whether we got those in Arma 3 too.

On another note: Did you noticed how the player characters do not autoreport enemies and shit? That's how it should be in Arma 3. I really hope that's one of those improvements that we get for A3.

• Like 2

Well, Malden's terrain is modelled after a greek island, so it does make some sense. Malden is back home now. The circle has closed. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, the whole archipelago in OFP was clearly stated to be in the Mediterranean (though Kolgujev was probably closer to Balkans). This is presumably why they chose Malden as a "vintage throwback". Now it'll actually look the part. :) 

I wish they remade other OFP islands as well, at some point. Everon could use the same treatment as Malden, while Kolgujev would most likely require more custom assets, but I think it'd be great to see that island repopulated somewhat after Cold War ended.

• Like 1

That's what they said in the roadmap, it will be rebuilt with already available assets, however, there are also a few more assets in Argo, not sure whether we got those in Arma 3 too.

On another note: Did you noticed how the player characters do not autoreport enemies and shit? That's how it should be in Arma 3. I really hope that's one of those improvements that we get for A3.

Well good then

but i like the OFP version of the Malden which wasn't greek at all and i know it was based on real greek island but still

atm it looks more like a Stratis :P

• Like 5

OFP and CUP Malden is better, no more futurealistic in A3 please. HUD look fantastic i would live to see it in A3,

Optionally off course :) In singleplayer its very usefull.

Well good then

but i like the OFP version of the Malden which wasn't greek at all and i know it was based on real greek island but still

atm it looks more like a Stratis :P

Well, the detail Malden was originally created with was incredible low compared to what we have in Arma 3 now, so there is alot of leeway for interpretation.

I personally like the design, and we have to keep in mind that we have only seen a very small part of the island.

Optionally off course :) In singleplayer its very usefull.

I was strictly talking about multiplayer, for singleplayer I am totally fine with autoreports.

• Like 3

Just to clear some possible confusion: yes, Malden used by Project Argo is the base for terrain we are going to deliver for free in Malden DLC, as it was described in the Roadmap. The terrain is still in progress even by Project Argo crew, the final terrain should be a full fledged piece :icon_twisted:

• Like 3

the new malden looks very good. the terrain-textures and rocks etc. look better than altis, which is nice.

however, like many, i miss the feel of the old malden a little bit. there are probably some new assets developed for new malden, so perhaps these could be aimed to bring back some aspects of old malden. i remember the vegetation being a blend between mediterenean and central european mixed forrests. also the villages had a very unique architecture, which also was somehow blended from eastern and western styles.

obviously the new malden is going to be more strictly mediterenean, but i would love to see some flavor brought back from the old days...

• Like 7

the new malden looks very good. the terrain-textures and rocks etc. look better than altis, which is nice.

however, like many, i miss the feel of the old malden a little bit. there are probably some new assets developed for new malden, so perhaps these could be aimed to bring back some aspects of old malden. i remember the vegetation being a blend between mediterenean and central european mixed forrests. also the villages had a very unique architecture, which also was somehow blended from eastern and western styles.

obviously the new malden is going to be more strictly mediterenean, but i would love to see some flavor brought back from the old days...

I agree , it should resemble the old Malden after all its aimed for ArmA's 16th anniversary aka OFP

the best example is from CWR2 mod that recreated all CWC islands and those are true to original islands

• Like 6

I hope that the custom assets for this DLC will keep enable them to keep that "Balkan" feel of the island. This mix of eastern and western styles was the great thing about both Malden and Everon.

• Like 4

Full credit for these belongs to Pennyworth

Very nice, so they did create custom assets for Malden.

Very nice, so they did create custom assets for Malden.

I've spotted a few, not many though, quite a few retextures on houses though.

Full credit for these belongs to Pennyworth http://imgur.com/a/XYINy

Some of those buildings are super cool - can't wait to see what map makers will do with them!

A big-ass map using assets from all Arma3 terrains would kickass. :wub:

I hope they will overhaul Stratis/Altis with these new alternative textures for buildings. It would bring some variety on these maps.

it would be great to finally get buildings set up with hiddenselections too so anyone can make their own reskins. unless there is some good reason not to do that, that i'm missing. just having been able to create these kind of variations shown in those screens would've made the arma 3 assets way more useful for terrain makers instead of a set of all white buildings with all blue window frames.

as for Malden, i personally would love it to be even more leaning towards a greener look to get rid of those dominant brown sand tones. it might be just me loving more juicy green areas in general, but it seems like otherwise it is way too close to Altis and Stratis to be interesting. just the recoloured buildings already do wonders in terms of variation.

• Like 3

Some of those buildings are super cool - can't wait to see what map makers will do with them!

A big-ass map using assets from all Arma3 terrains would kickass.  :wub:

I don't see it working too well, ArmA is simply too diverse. There were some cities made with a hodgepodge of buildings from all games (thanks to CUP), but this resulted in things like Russian writing on shops and bus stop in what's supposedly an Arab country. Quite an immersion breaker if you ask me.

• Like 1

it would be great to finally get buildings set up with hiddenselections too so anyone can make their own reskins. unless there is some good reason not to do that, that i'm missing. just having been able to create these kind of variations shown in those screens would've made the arma 3 assets way more useful for terrain makers instead of a set of all white buildings with all blue window frames.

The reason is pretty simple - map references object by p3d, not by any config class. That means having two classes with different textures won't work for map - Argo lads had to duplicate (erm, multiplicate) the existing assets because of that, which provides additional level of overhead while fixing stuff on multiple models.

• Like 1

The reason is pretty simple - map references object by p3d, not by any config class. That means having two classes with different textures won't work for map - Argo lads had to duplicate (erm, multiplicate) the existing assets because of that, which provides additional level of overhead while fixing stuff on multiple models.

The result is quite satisfying.