Sign in to follow this  
PFC R. Fox

Family Sharing in 2016-17?

"Steam has been working on a feature called Family Sharing. We will likely need to disable this for Arma 3 for the time being, while we look at solving multiplayer cheating issues."

I believe this was a statement in 2014 and outdated by now. I'd like to have an update on steam family sharing in general but more specifically I'd like to know:

What is the issue as of know preventing Bohemia Interactive to enable the feature?

And what exactly are "multiplayer cheating issues"?

I hope the explanation is not simply "If somebody uses your account and cheats in ARMA 3, your gameID gets banned".

Best,

Foxxy

why don't you simply use the same steam account on multiple PCs...I have steam running on 2 separate PCs just fine (sure, none of the games can be run simultaneously, but that is not what you are asking, is it not?)....

That is an obvious work around but not quite the same AND most importantly not what I am asking for.

I appreciate you trying to help me out though =).

The questions still stands ;)

still interested in a reply or statement  :)

I would suggest if you don't want your Arma3 ID banned for cheating, don't let other family members cheat. Quite simple really ;)

• Like 1

I think the issue with cheating is, that if you are banned on a server by GUID, you could family share, and join the server anyway on that account as it creates a new GUID. It wouldn't work around a battleye ban however.

• Like 1

I would suggest if you don't want your Arma3 ID banned for cheating, don't let other family members cheat. Quite simple really ;)

Exactly my opinion/point. If i give my physical copy of my game to my friend or family member and he does shit with it, it is my responsibility, I suffer the consequences.

This is exactly why I want to know why family sharing is still not a thing for Arma 3, it has been years since that statement.

If what willithappen says is true, it means because of a very niche case where somebody gets a private ban for misbehavior on a server and then has access to another steam account over family sharing can go and do it again... well... thats not really a good reason eh.

Hope to get a new statement.

The issue has been answered by myself, I don't see any other reason.

FYI, Family sharing can happen to a steam account with no game purchases, technically allowing infinite accounts. IIRC I did some tests and it does give you a new "ID" for battleye if its another account, so could allow avoiding battleye bans too.

Obviously not something BIS wants nor does any sensible person.

As PuFu said, just run steam on the other PC, you'll be able to play singleplayer on both at once if the Internet is disconnected on one of them, obviously not online play however, but that is to be expected even if they enabled family-sharing.

• Like 1