KernelPanicAkr

[WIP] Starting: Project Arcana (Arcane Warfare)

Hi there! A week ago I started to implement an idea that I had in paper but never got around to do actually do it. This idea is Project Arcana, and this project serves two defined purposes:

1. Create an unique game-mode: Create a new combat environment with enhanced combat and support abilities, integrating sort of magic (Psien), Area Effects and dynamic events.
  2. Serve as base to AkrFramework: This will be a practical application of my AkrFramework, that will be the core of this project functionality, being developed in parallel and testing it in real environment thanks to Project Arcana.

So... What is Project Arcana?

Ambitious. It's a new gamemode alike KoTH or Wasteland, but built from scratch and adding new abilities to the players in the area of magic (if you want to call it that way). The goal is to create a new combat dynamic with fire bolts, lightnings, astral projections for intel, healers, buffers, debuffers, sensory-types, while maintaining the gameplay equilibrium (the most difficult part). Players will be able to specialize in a Psien branch and develop their character through that tree, or reset and start over another. The principle of design is that is has to look smooth or it's not going in (hint "This is a scketchi output for a production release" <-- nope).

I am aiming to make it as easy to edit/extend as I can, right now there's no docs (cos so early is not worth it) but I will document e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g (even Arma 3 vanilla stuff that's unclear). PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS

When? Who? How?

• When?:

No idea, when it's ready, I guess a month to 1.0.

• Who?:

Right now I am alone, and it's still an on-going process, adding new stuff each day, from design to implementation. I have been in the Arma scene for a while, mostly developing the hard stuff in roleplay server (life_server overhauls, creating network-savy functions, data managment in DB, stuff...), and lately I have been doing some experimental stuff that somehow ended up making this big idea.

I am currently looking to add more people to the team if someone is interested. I can do it on my own, but having a sidekick surely will boost the development time. Right now the most needed are scripters (SQF, and if someone knows C++ with threading and networking PLEASE DO COME HERE WE HAVE COOKIES, CHOCOLATE COOKIES). Once in 1.0 we will need a basic modeler familiar with basic, but just for UV adjustments, material edition, stuff like that. Mostly for visual effects.

• How?:

Many Monster cans, pizza and cigarettes. And beer. Lots.

Links:

Media:

I am not at home right now. Will post some when there's something to show (teleport spell ready + basic core functionality up un running).

Roadmap:

1. Get Arma local client running.
  2. Get Arma serverside running.
  3. Get network RPC server running.
  4. Get network RPC client running.
  5. Surprise.
  6. Intense testing.
  7. Moar testing.
  8. Beta.
  9. Moar moars.
  10. Profit.
  • Like 2

Sounds interesting.

I don't know if you're planning on making new assets or using more "sci-fi" addons for this, but, inspiration-wise I imagine a mash-up between Mamoru Oshii's Garm Wars and Marco Kalantari's The Shaman would work well. ;)

• Like 3

This right here is what makes Arma great- You can go nuts and make whatever you want to make, and this, magic, is an interesting idea I haven't seen attempted before, so good luck. 

Sounds interesting.

I don't know if you're planning on making new assets or using more "sci-fi" addons for this, but, inspiration-wise I imagine a mash-up between Mamoru Oshii's Garm Wars and Marco Kalantari's The Shaman would work well. ;)

Just checked them, they are quite good! But Asset-wise, for now it will be around basic meshes for particles/effects (for example, a sphere for a shield) :( . After getting the basic done, if we get a good artist new real assets may happen, as of right now, mostly code and basic meshes.

This right here is what makes Arma great- You can go nuts and make whatever you want to make, and this, magic, is an interesting idea I haven't seen attempted before, so good luck. 

Thanks, I'll need it! Yeah, that's why I always get back to Arma scripting, you can achieve so many things... I love it.