Sign in to follow this  
DieselJC

Launcher Questions

Taking a closer look at the launcher I have a couple of questions..about memory limit and checking those boxes.

It isn't really clear the way it is stated.

System Memory Limit says "Defines the memory allocation limit to this number"(in megabytes,in range 256-2047)

So that tells me that if you leave it un-checked it will use any ram it can find. Am I right on that?

For example I run 8GB of Ram..so if I check that it will only use up to 2047MB?

Video Memory Limit says "Defines the video memory allocation limit to this number" (in megabytes,8192MB maximum) Values over 2GB may result in unforeseen consequences.

So why do they tell you 8192MB Max when anything over 2GB may cause issues..doesn't make any sense.

I have a 4GB Vid card so am I better off setting it to 2047 or leave it at 4097.

Just seems like the two statements counterdict each other..more verification would be nice.

Diesel

Always did wonder about those myself.

I`ve definitely had much better results applying the limits manually. Setting the vid card to 1664 works best for me in win 7 pro with an nvidia 660 2G. I get much less hassle from the OS popping up occasionally complaining about "slow performance". With cards over 2G, who knows... I`ll find out whenever I get round to grabbing a 1070. Setting the system memory to 10240 (out of 16G), has definitely improved disk thrashing and hitching in-game. Leaving it at default unchecked simply was nowhere near as smooth with many units in play on heavy maps, and manually adding higher than 10240 here seemed to massively increase disk thrashing and hitching. I did try several values from 2G all the way up to 10240, but none were quite as effective in keeping the frames or occasional hiccups at bay.

Suppose it`s just about getting the figures right for the system as well as the game. I would definitely always use the manual figures though after getting much better results here, than I did when leaving them unchecked.

• Like 2

Always did wonder about those myself.

I`ve definitely had much better results applying the limits manually. Setting the vid card to 1664 works best for me in win 7 pro with an nvidia 660 2G. I get much less hassle from the OS popping up occasionally complaining about "slow performance". With cards over 2G, who knows... I`ll find out whenever I get round to grabbing a 1070. Setting the system memory to 10240 (out of 16G), has definitely improved disk thrashing and hitching in-game. Leaving it at default unchecked simply was nowhere near as smooth with many units in play on heavy maps, and manually adding higher than 10240 here seemed to massively increase disk thrashing and hitching. I did try several values from 2G all the way up to 10240, but none were quite as effective in keeping the frames or occasional hiccups at bay.

Suppose it`s just about getting the figures right for the system as well as the game. I would definitely always use the manual figures though after getting much better results here, than I did when leaving them unchecked.

I tried manually setting system memory but it always reverts back..or if I set it to 8192 for 8GB it reverts to 819...doesn't let me manually set it...odd.

Hello,

the memory gives engine the hint to override the limits that it derives from your PC or the operating system. If you leave these parameters disabled, the engine choose the best values (which is basically to grab as much as it can :icon_twisted:).

The system memory limit controls the amount of memory that can be allocated for the data in the game process. That value is limited by the amount of RAM installed in your PC and the limits imposed by Windows. On Windows the memory that can be addressed by a running 32-bit process is limited to 2 GB (an other 2 GB is reserved to OS). So you can't set more that 2047 MB there, any limit over that value is reduced to 2047 MB. That, however, is not all the RAM that the game can use. It also utilize other system features (e.g. file mapping) to overcome this limit an utilize the most of your PC potential. (There's an old but nice blog post on this: https://www.bistudio.com/blog/breaking-the-32-bit-barrier).

With the video memory limit the situation is similar, you can't use this parameter to force the limit over the actual amount of dedicated and shared video memory (as reported by DirectX). I'm not sure about the unforeseen consequences, but I'd say that now there are none these days (you didn't foreseen that, did you? :icon_twisted:).

Thanks for the clarification..much appreciated!