Sign in to follow this  
Drumheller

Question/Clarification regarding custom AI skill

Hey guys,

This question has long been plaguing me(since ArmA 2 actually).

Setting AI skill in the server config vs the skill slider in game.

So what I currently have is a custom AI config via TADST to set the AI skill to 95% and aim to 25%. How does this work? Does it override all AI skill sliders in game and set them all to 95/25? Or does the skill slider still affect the skill based on those numbers? For example: I put a unit down with its skill slider at 50%. Does that take into consideration the 95/25 and set that AIs skill to 47.5/12.5? Do I have to slide the skill of the AI up to 100% to get the 95/25? Or when I'm sliding the AI skill up to 100%, is THAT then overriding the custom AI config and making the AI into super soldiers?

It's a chicken and egg issue that I've never understood. I also still REALLY wish all the AI skill settings were customizable in A3 like they were in A2, where you could set the reaction time low, but the overall skill high, because having a generic AI skill setting at 95 makes them move intelligently, but also makes them snapshot almost instantly towards a target which is undesirable and unrealistically fast.

You can do this...

Best way is use setskill for each skill rather then the sliders usually through scripts.

The sliders are a dark art I found

Example. In some testing I found that if I had the sliders at 0.15 skill and 0.1 precision and then used setskill it would end up with aim accuracy of 0.0049. But if I set the sliders to .5 for precision and skill then the setskill I was setting would be completely accurate.

The calculation is on the wiki but I never understood it.

What I have found is the main menu skill will modify setskill so if you want it accurately custom then you need to set the slider skill to 0.5 then use setskill

Yeah, I'm having same question but does anyone really know what's the connection between server slider and editor sliders? From above answer I don't really understand what's going on.