chammy

No one wants to help with a mod

Why do answers have to be so cryptic and vague? If you all dont want to help me or at least direct me to cut and dry , straight forward and clear and concise explanation so I wont have to bug or inconvenience anyone all the time then just say so. Its not like  I have all the time in the world either, juggling work with ridiculous hours, school, a new baby, and high maintenance kids (well not really) I dont know why asking for a little help is like an unsolved mystery, its starting to look as if a lot of you who have the knowledge of this coding and scripting is a sort of earned right of passage, or you hold the keys to power, when the average guy comes to ask for some guidance. Sorry I ranted and was frank, but I have asked on a lot of other threads and ArmA3 sites and all i get are vague answers or I get ignored. Even asking the developers I basically get a door slammed in my face LOL

Why do answers have to be so cryptic and vague? If you all dont want to help me or at least direct me to cut and dry , straight forward and clear and concise explanation so I wont have to bug or inconvenience anyone all the time then just say so. Its not like  I have all the time in the world either, juggling work with ridiculous hours, school, a new baby, and high maintenance kids (well not really) I dont know why asking for a little help is like an unsolved mystery, its starting to look as if a lot of you who have the knowledge of this coding and scripting is a sort of earned right of passage, or you hold the keys to power, when the average guy comes to ask for some guidance. Sorry I ranted and was frank, but I have asked on a lot of other threads and ArmA3 sites and all i get are vague answers or I get ignored. Even asking the developers I basically get a door slammed in my face LOL

Modding this game is so hard and takes a lot of time. Imagine teaching all the stuff to a stranger with 0 knowledge. It would be a pain in the ass which nobody really wants. Btw I am not a modder, but I mess with mod's configs and textures, so i can see few things from inside and it still looks huge with my limited vision. Think as if modders are the architects of eiffel tower and i am just a basic person who goes inside it, clears or paints small things to his taste. What I am trying to say is modding is not easy to learn. If they don't want to help you with it, can you blame them? They are just trying to be kind, thats why you get this kind of answers.

Also I reviewed your threads, re DynaSound and JSRS.

Generally its best to ask the authors directly, since most modders dont really know too much about eachothers projects. Sure we review, compare and gain ideas, but if someone comes to me for help regarding someone else's mod, ... I have no clue and also dont want to commit the energy to finding that clue. Ask the author.

Re modding in general, its like any other knowledge-based hobby. Someone comes asking for an answer, and we get flashbacks of the hours spent searching for that answer on our own :)

Many dont mind guiding, but being a vending machine of answers where no coins are inserted, is not fun and the few who do that, dont do it for long. 

Even the arma 3 discord channel isnt that interesting anymore. Used to be a lot of modders exchanging ideas. now its (like the forums), 98% people who dont want to spend the time or want to shortcut the learning process, asking questions. Eventually the people who know the answers just tune out, or stop coming back.

Edited by R0adki11
removed flame-baiting comments

I dont know the background for this but I can give my input as a configer (did my first private total conversion for ofp in 2003), and obviously I'm not answering for noone but myself.

I did the configs for MarkXIIs hifi back in armed assault. Configs are time consuming and when you are "done" only 25% is done because then it's a constant bug squashing job. When a new update comes, either mod or game, the configs need new love. So the mental energy that goes with creating your own work is more than enough, so sadly what is left for others asking for help is not much.

Configs are relativelly easy so it is easy to promise other guys to help them but at the end of the day you realize that you do not want to spend one extra hour help something that isnt yours as you need all mental energy to finish of your own project.

When MarkXII wanted to continue in A2 I had to turn him down as I realised that my time ingame was 95% config and 5% play. It was also due to real life commitments. Also for each game the configs get more complex meaning much more time is needed, not only for understanding/creating but more complex bugs can be created and found.

In short, what mental energy and time you have as a configer goes on your own pet projects and not much is left for help. Some help and support is possible as long as the guy asking has tried and do understand some while creating his own configs.

1. Read the BIKI, (the few) tutorials on configs available, study BI configs or better from quality modders.

2. Get into discord to get advice and help from experienced people.

3. Join a mod that has config people, so that you can focus mainly on the sound design.

• Like 2