thirith

Infantry units shooting in the air?

I'm currently thinking of a fun, afterparty-style mission that's basically a Littlebird taxi mission that has several players competing against each other to pick up a number of passengers and then return to base.

What I'd like to try is having a number of units wait at the base and start firing into the air in celebration when the first chopper approaches. I've Googled and searched the BI forums for this, but I haven't found anything. Is there an easy way to do this?

P.S.: I'm actually thinking of two versions of this mission: one in MH-6Js and one in AH-6Js, with the players being able to attack one another. Perhaps I'd use dancing units for the former and units firing in the air for the latter.

Hello thirith!

I've found a partial solution to this.

First put some units in the area and name each of them, for example: s1, s2, s3 and so on.

Then put near them an empty, small object (for testing I've used a briefcase), name it, for example t1, and in it's init field put:

this setPosASL [position this select 0, position this select 0, 55]; // This make it hover in the air
t1 enableSimulation false; // this prevent it from faling down and also disable it's other physics (for example collision with other objects)

Then put some choppers on the map, name them for example h1, h2 etc.

Then create a trigger, name it for example trg1, and make appropiate conditions for it. In this case, in trigger's condition field, put:

h1 in thislist or h2 in thislist or h3 in thislist; //and so on, it depends on how many choppers do you have

And in trigger's on act field put:

{_x doFire t1;} forEach [s1,s2,s3,s4,s5]; // array of units depends on how many do you have them

Then create some other small object, name it, for example t2, and in it's init field put:

hideObject this;

Then create another trigger, set countdown time (for example 15 seconds in each field) and put:

triggerActivated trg1; // in it's condition field
{_x doFire t2} forEach [s1,s2,s3,s4,s5]; // this goes into trigger's on activation field

This stop the soldiers from firing.

Notes:

1. In my tests units won't shoot (only point their weapons at) target that is higher than 55 (but they can start throwing grenades or shooting their underbarrel GLs).

2. Target cannot be too small (I've used baseball ball, same results as above, without tossing grenades).

3. Target cannot be invisible (same result).

4. First trigger must of course cover the area in which helicopters will make ground units fire.

5. The result can be rather eerie, when pilots see briefcase floating in the air. At least it won't be danger to the helicopters (due to enableSimulation false;).

6. For best visual effects set mission to be in nighttime (at least briefcase will not be easy to spot, and the tracers will look cool ;)  ).

My regards  :)

• Like 1

Cool, thanks! Will try that one out. I guess it wouldn't be possible to make an object (e.g. the suitcase) invisible or change its size until it's so tiny, it can hardly be seen, right?

You're welcome  :)  Making object invisible ends with ground units only pointing their weapons on it, without firing. But I did not check if changing object size will influence their behavior, so you may give it a try  ;)