Sign in to follow this  
Boss-Starstreams

Community Upgrade Project - Terrain Texture updates?

Firstly, what an amazing port, hats off to the CUP team. I would not even play ArmA 3 if it were not for this. Sorry but, ArmA2 rocked!

Secondly. please don't think I'm complaining. This is my honest opinion and I'm just trying to improve the realism in a few arias that are lacking to my eye.

My concern / issue is: I'm noticing that some of the surface textures and building textures for imported terrain,and Units/infantry are too bright in ArmA 3. I'm referring to the ported terrains from CUP. In other words, the colors and detail is being crushed. I'm not a mod maker so I don't know what's involved in adjusting the lighting on these types of textures. These issues are not present with the default islands that come with ArmA3 . So,  when I switched back to ArmA2 to compare, the textures in Zargabad for example, and the units and their weapons ..especially had much more detail under ArmA2. Some examples are.

• Zargabad under arma3, the ground textures are too light and missing detail. If I bump the gamma they look great, but then the shadows on trees and buildings get too dark. There is too much contrast.
  • Ambient occlusion looks great, but with that, the shadows get too dark on buildings.
  • The US soldiers outfits are almost pure white in some places, with total lost of detail in the material of the cloth. There seem to be a problem with most of the CUP solders with light cloth The lighting levels are too high crushing the detail.
  • Another example, the inside of the parachute when you look up looks like the contrast is set too high, when compared to arma2, there was a much smoother gradient.
  • The metal on the weapons of the US solders are missing a lot of detail. If you look in arma2, you can see the metal scratches and imperfections, You can't in arms3 under CUP.

I'm assuming the modders just haven't gotten around to everything? Or is this project complete?

Example screens:

www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/brightness_cup1.jpg

www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/brightness_cup2.jpg

I'm assuming the modders just haven't gotten around to everything? Or is this project complete?

This really should have been posted in the CUP thread, there was no need to create a new thread!

But before i close this thread, i will try to answer one question.  CUP is an ongoing project, it is no where near complete. Porting content from Arma2 to Arma3 is no easy process, i am sure the CUP team are quite well aware of some of the issues you have pointed out. But please remember that all of the content had been ported and brought across by a small team of individuals and all for free. After all addon making is a hobby, and i am pretty sure that the CUP team do hope and will bring all the content up to A3 standards. But it takes time,lots of time ;) .

• Like 1