spanishsurfer

Is this server violating BIS monetization policy?

The server is a Wasteland server called "a3armory" and their monetization policy is herehttp://www.a3armory.com/forum/thread-343.html

They claim it's legit and that they only offer gear for skins however I wasn't able to buy a laser designator unless I became a "supporting" member. I was also banned for asking about the policy after 5 min of asking about it.

I'd say they are. They are restricting use of equipment if they don't let you have the laser designator, if you could only buy it in its base color then it'd be fine. Apparently you can still pick it off corpses that spawn with it without being a supporting member, still breaks the rules. They probably know what they're doing is wrong since they were quick with the ban hammer, need to sweep it under the rug then look the other way before anyone notices.

• Like 1

No idea about any of this, but I love this part:

You are automatically disqualified or removed if you:

- Are considered by the community to be a troll or not well regarded.

• Like 3

No idea about any of this, but I love this part:

Not well regarded? I wont even bother replying then given my reputation :P

• Like 1

I found this on the fourth page of the topic: 

Just to clear this up for other potential supporters. Armory isn't currently an approved monetized server. https://www.bistudio.com/monetization/approved/arma3. We can't communicate a set transactional way of obtaining supporter status, because it comes with cosmetic perks, which would require approval. So donations, assistance in the forums, helping other players are all measured from server owners discretion. If you continue to help and support you can get access, but no, there is not a dollar amount or a set # of posts that will get you there.

That being said we greatly appreciate any and all help and donations. Helpful players keep this server alive and your support provides enjoyment for hundreds of Arma lovers that visit the server. Keep up the good work

They literally admitted in that post that they are doing shady activities because they need approval, apparently theres no amount of dollars that will get you supporter status, giving them free rein to say "nope. no supporter for u bro, i take your monies and i run!"

From what I can tell its four months later, still not in the list, obviously something is wrong, assuming their application was denied and they're a bit NaCl over it.

http://www.a3armory.com/forum/thread-343-page-5.html

We understand the argument of "I bought the game I should get everything that comes with it", but what people are missing with that argument is, you paid for a game that only gives you access to multiplayer servers. Your purchase may have come with all the items/vehicles but it did not fund the use of those things on the multiplayer server you enjoy playing on. Do you see our point? It's like buying a gun and then not understanding why you can't shoot it for free at a shooting range. 

Think of Arma servers like a library with no government support. If you loved to read wouldn't you want to do whatever you could to help keep that library alive, with help or donations or whatever means you had? 

We absolutely don't want to force people to donate, we truly want everyone to enjoy playing. But you must forgive any effort we take to encourage people to donate, because without donations the server shuts down. There is absolutely NO money profited from this server, it all funds the platform you guys play on it. Anyone that helps this server is appreciated and honored.

How can anyone sit there and justify that?

"Well you paid bohemia for the game, but you didn't pay us, so pay us and you can use the game properly on our server, otherwise, stop complaining?"

Well, here is a simple solution: Don't play on these servers.

• Like 1

Well, here is a simple solution: Don't play on these servers.

This is the easiest answer. If everybody who complains will just spread the word not to play on their server then the matter will be settled. People will quit playing on their server..

How can anyone sit there and justify that?

"Well you paid bohemia for the game, but you didn't pay us, so pay us and you can use the game properly on our server, otherwise, stop complaining?"

Context is key, however they bluntly stated that they are not an approved monetized server so there is no justification.

It's hard to feel sorry for the someone hosting a server that they can't afford, last I checked donations were niceties to help cushion the cost, not a requirement for it. 

Pretty simple, don't purchase what you can't afford.

You can report and bring it to the attention of some moderators who might be able to pass it on but beyond that is beyond the scale of anyone outside the company.

My recommendation beyond that is to put it out of your mind. 

Yes it sucks to think that these people will get away with it but there is no shortage of people more than willing to part with their money, and will become further willing because of accusations.   In the end you'll just come off as though having a chip on your shoulder, and all you'll do is upset yourself needlessly.

Players are the problem, not server owners. To fix that fix the players... on all the countries.

Players are the problem, not server owners. To fix that fix the players... on all the countries.

Its not a simple fact of one or the other being at fault - they both are.

If people are charging for admission to their servers shame on them, and shame on those that pay to get in too...

• Like 1