Nick Seafort

Embedding Dynamic Maps in Vehicles

Hi all,

Been working on something posed to me a few months back but not I reckon it's probably not possible - figured I'd ask if anyone else had ideas before giving up!

Concept: one of the MFDs in a helo being used to display a dynamic map, centred on the helicopter.

I'm happy with making and customising maps using createDialog, but I have no idea if it's possible to shunt these out to the rendertarget that the MFD screen is displaying - my gut instinct and impression after searching around a lot says its not. My current best idea is to have an image of the map displayed/rotated etc on the screen, but this would lack the map markers and require manually providing an appropriate image for each map... hardly what's desired.

Any other ideas, or anyone know of a way to get UI elements to render to world objects rather than screenspace? :x

• Like 1

well the easiest way is to include a simple flat plane (not airplane) with the texture of the ingame map (low res) on it. Then you move the plane around so that your helo is centered on it. Obviously you can't have a high detail map, because it would only be small. You need rest of the cockpit to cover the part of the map that is not directly in the screen frame, as such you can only use planes of limited size use).

Iirc, the PAK-50 of RHS has a static map with just the vehicle icon moving accoding to your position. That is for direct cockpit integration. If you want it more detailed, it would be better as a UI thing.

That sounds pretty much like the possible option I mooted in the OP, but it still suffers the issue of requiring an image for every single map :|

Xou are not getting around to having images of maps if you want a real 3d-cockpit screen. UI can't be rendered by RTT - only 3d-world-objects can. Unfortunately arma is not really capable of making nice and functional cockpits. Same issues with 3d radar screens or RWR's :[ i wish it wasnt the case.