Sign in to follow this  
gavc

BiKeys and custom/altered mod folders

Hi Folks,

Having some trouble configuring my server for use with bikeys. I'm fairly sure i'll be able to fix it with enough patience how ever i'd like to know more about bikeys and what they do.

If, for instance i use ACE3 and move some optionals into the ACE3\addons folder does this need a different bikey? Does each and every  PBO file need to have a corresponding bikey in the <gameroot>\keys folder?

Any advice would be great.

Gav

Stages to create sign an addon are

Addon maker or server admin creates their own bikey using arma3 tools

This creates 2 files

Private key

Public key (Bikey)

The addon maker then signs all of his addon pbo's with his private key.

This creates a bisign for each addon.pbo

The server admin then hosts the public bikey in the root arma3 servers keys folder

When a client connects, the bikey and the bisigns do some magic chit chat to one n other and the bikey verifies the bisign is good and therefore allows the addon, hence the client connects

You don't have to run with the original bikey/bisigns that the addon came with, you can delete them and resign all of your addons with your own key.

We do this as a "version" system.

For example if we update our addon pack, lets say RHS did an update, which they just have, we resign all our addons for a particular server with a ZNo.2_25022016.bikey ZNo2_currentdate.bikey

This is automated and quickly done thanks to some backend scripting

Now if a member of the community hasn't updated their addon pack to the latest, they will not be able to connect because we deleted the older dated ZNo2 bikey replacing it with a later dated one.

This for us works well and creates stability. Everyone syncs their addon packs via an ArmA3sync repo, there is none of this downloading a version from Armaholics, PW6 etc which may cause mismatches.

If your not sure what key is needed, look for the supporting bisign for an addon.

The ACE optionals use the same Bikey as the main ACE pbo's

Hope that helps

That's great, thanks a mil for this.

will take some time to try get everything signed this evening.

Gav

So, in my dedicated server - I have the keys folder with just a default a3.bikey inside it.  

I have ACE/CBA/ACRE/RHS/CUP/Alive running on the server - I would need to create bikeys for all of them and place them in the keys folder? 

Sorry if this is a stupid question, really new to all of this. 

Edit: I was really stupid. For anybody else looking for similar answers, the majority of mods have a keys folder which is the bikey you need to put on the arma 3 main directory key folder.