Neviothr

[SOLVED] Help with editing NVG model

Basically I'm trying to replace the overlay that appears on the player's screen when he uses night vision goggles, I've found 2 unbinarized .p3d files that I can edit/use as a template (one with the help of Jackal326); one is from ArmA 2's sample models and the other from ACE3's GitHub repository. I open them up just fine with Oxygen 2 or Blender (using Alwarren's Toolbox), but I have no idea where to go from there, I've never created or edited any model in any game. Can someone please help me out here?

Thanks.

AFAIK and remember it's not all about the "model" but even the texture related. 
I'dont really know what you want to do but I think it's just 2/3 layers ( rectangular shaped)  that makes an overlay on screen.
You maybe have to change only textures of it.

• Like 1

AFAIK and remember it's not all about the "model" but even the texture related. 

I'dont really know what you want to do but I think it's just 2/3 layers ( rectangular shaped)  that makes an overlay on screen.

You maybe have to change only textures of it.

Yeah I've already figured it out.

Download said template from ACE3's Github >> Open it with Oxygen 2 >> Tools >> Mass Texture & Material renaming... >> Select the file from the list that has a .paa extension >> Rename selected file to name of your .paa file (which is the overlay), make sure you actually place the file in your mod folder, give it a proper extension in the list, and a proper path.

On a side note, here how to get the proper size of the hole on the overlay:

For the sake of this example I'll using Paint.NET, a 1920x1080 monitor, and 4096x4096 .paa/.tga file. The principle should be the same for every image editing program, monitor resolution and .paa/.tga file resolution. Also, I'd recommend not saving your .tga until you're done editing.

Onward...

Open your image editing program and create a new file with the size of 1920x1080, use the brush or paint bucket tools in order to paint the whole image black. Select your eraser tool and (at least in Paint.NET) make the anti-aliasing is enabled for it, also make sure the tool's hardness (higher hardness means shorter transition from deleted [nothing] to black) is set to about 95%. Delete the areas in your image through which you'd like to be able to look while using your NVGs. Then, resize the image to 4096x4096, note: some programs such as Paint.NET allow to change only the canvas size with out changing the current image's size - don't change the canvas' size, change the image size. Save the image as .tga. Open said image with TexView2, and save it as a .paa. That's it.

Edited by cx64
  • Like 2

Yeah I've already figured it out.

Download said template from ACE3's Github >> Open it with Oxygen 2 >> Tools >> Mass Texture & Material renaming... >> Select the file from the list that has a .paa extension >> Rename selected file to name of your .paa file (which is the overlay), make sure you actually place the file in your mod folder, give it a proper extension in the list, and a proper path.

On a side note, here how to get the proper size of the hole on the overlay:

For the sake of this example I'll using Paint.NET, a 1920x1080 monitor, and 4096x4096 .paa/.tga file. The principle should be the same for every image editing program, monitor resolution and .paa/.tga file resolution. Also, I'd recommend not saving your .tga until you're done editing.

Onward...

Open your image editing program and create a new file with the size of 1920x1080, use the brush or paint bucket tools in order to paint the whole image black. Select your eraser tool and (at least in Paint.NET) make the anti-aliasing is enabled for it, also make sure the tool's hardness (higher hardness means shorter transition from deleted [nothing] to black) is set to about 95%. Delete the areas in your image through which you'd like to be able to look while using your NVGs. Then, resize the image to 4096x4096, note: some programs such as Paint.NET allow to change only the canvas size with out changing the current image's size - don't change the canvas' size, change the image size. Save the image as .tga. Open said image with TexView2, and save it as a .paa. That's it.

Hey is there any chance i can have what you done please. I want to try it out. Thank you.

Hey is there any chance i can have what you done please. I want to try it out. Thank you.

Exactly what do you want?