mattaust

[WIP] Tanoa Enhanced Buildings Pack

Hello all, I thought I'd, start a new topic as this is a new beginning for a new building pack that will specifically be aimed for Tanoa.

Features of new buildings that will enhance over my old designs.

+++ Buildings will feel as if they belong on the Tanoa map due to the art style I will incorporate

+++ Buildings will be designed based on it's site conditions, I.E. Sloping site buildings will be suited for that specific place and will overall enhance gameplay on the map.

+++ All buildings will have wreck models by default before release.

+++ Enhancing the Resolution Lods in comparison to my Original Building pack release which will give smoother transitions and increase frame rate substantially.

+++ I will be incorporating some wear and tear to the buildings, so they do not look like they have just been built.

+++ Will be taking request as long as it follows the Tanoa Island culture / and theme.

+++ I am now a licensed Building Designer hence, I have alot more expertise in designs in previous to having little to no knowledge of buildings when I created my previous pack.

Anyway here is my work in progress of my first building:

It's an Overwater Bungalow!

I'll give an image link and will explain what each picture displays.

http://imgur.com/a/177Rn

Picture 1: Concept Sketch design of Ground Floor plan of the underwater bungalow. Here you can see the relationships between each room.

Picture 2: This picture is more of a structural plan which shows timber columns, timber bearers, and timber joists, which will support the building while over water.

Picture 3: This is a concept 3D Mockup (ignore textures!) that took about 30 minutes, so it's not really accurate as all fixings, window finishes, detailing of wall connections, doors, roof, fascia boards, eaves lining are basically missing (or there but basic geometry). It's more the form of the building that you should be looking at as that is basically going to be the relationship of the outdoor to indoor.

I am now starting this design and beginning to 3D Model it using 3DS Max to achieve the quality I desire. The reason I use Archicad as my base is because it gives me the ability to create quick designs that work (for a game standard), and something that structurally makes sense.

Cheers, Mattaust!

• Like 18

Awesome, do you have any plans to modify the current base-game Tanoa buildings and make full interiors for them?

Would you say Arma 3 support for 3Ds Max is easy to set up, or does it take alot of tinkering and trial and error?

How easy would you say it would be for a regular Blender user to make a switch to 3Ds Max?

Always loved your models, can't wait for this release and more.

hey matt...

i hope i can see some nice tanoa police hq and prisons and stuff like you have made for australia soon ^^

Love the concept, considering Tanoa is graphics intensive as it it is, how will you optimise additional buildings without further degading FPS ? 

I believe this was one of the sacrifices BiS made on the buildings to keep performance levels high.

Will be very interesting to see how you handle it :)

• Like 1

Love the concept, considering Tanoa is graphics intensive as it it is, how will you optimise additional buildings without further degading FPS ? 

I believe this was one of the sacrifices BiS made on the buildings to keep performance levels high.

Will be very interesting to see how you handle it :)

Absolutely agree, Buildings will be optimised to the fullest, as I'm incorporating better art skills which will give me the allowance to have a lower poly intensive 3D Model.

One other element I will use is to place the buildings where it's not so "performance heavy". And if I were to place buildings in town, they wont be massive buildings as that will be the downfall of the whole mod if I were to do so.

This modpack is all about the form of the buildings in respect to the environment as well as buildings that respect the culture of other buildings and structures.

• Like 1

Awesome, do you have any plans to modify the current base-game Tanoa buildings and make full interiors for them?

Not going to happen unless BIS release the source which I doubt they will do.

Not going to happen unless BIS release the source which I doubt they will do.

Basically what Opteryx said.

And chances of them even wanting the buildings to have an interior are small. As its probably all designed so that it increases performance.

I'm always excited to see new architecture in arma and you look like you know what you're doing, what kind of programs are you using to model these structures?

-edit-

Nevermind, read your whole post. Anyways good luck! We always need more structures in Arma!

Not really requests but more some various ideas for structures;

• Abandoned and/or active industrial centers, geared towards lumber and mining. Tanoa's economy is stated to be built around its "revived" rare earth element mining sector, but as with many similar states, it was almost certainly the product of mass mining and deforestation in the past. Some clearly old colonial era factories, possibly outfitted with new equipment, would be really cool and add some depth to the many open pit mines around the isles.
  • Cinderblock/reinforced Syndikat safehouses, either urban or rural, or both. The map already has a few different buildings that work like these, but they suffer from having too many windows and several exposed entrances. Small or large, these have the potential for some very interesting features; hidden rooms, ports and holes in the walls for guns. Hell, even the entrance could be hidden. I personally love the idea of a barricaded front entrance where the only way in is on the second floor or roof, and the lower levels are only accessed with interior stairs.
  • Structures that evidence historical occupation: Japanese/American WW2 airfield and camp ruins (a Japanese PoW camp in particular would be interesting), Ming Dynasty-era Buddhist temples (likely spawned from Zheng He's voyages), decrepit 13th century mosques from before Iberian explorers and missionaries converted the island to Catholicism, and subsequently other European colonial structures, which Tanoa lacks (the buildings are built in a colonial fashion but clearly new). The map doesn't have a distinct city hall, but I always imagined that the Tanoan government would probably operate out of a grandiose 19th century French or English courthouse converted into parliament. Old auxiliary structures used to manage seabed telegraph cables were also quite common in many South Pacific islands
  • Like 4

Cheers for a list. I'll definitely keep them as a future reference.

• Like 1

You might want to get with Icebreakr and talk about using this for his Lingor map, and working on some of the buildings there.

How about a concealed or camouflaged raised structure on stilts or perhaps a tree house? It could either be built native style or modern & could be used by all sides as a observation point, recon / sniper hide, ambush spot, residential or even a small FOB. Here are some pics so you can see what I mean: http://matadornetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/20100810-vanuatu.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/44/f8/05/44f8056a45b290241653afa3fa02c1ef.jpg

http://www.topindonesiaholidays.com/prettyPhoto/pp_img/twelve/A-Family-House-Korowai-Tribe.jpg

http://www.holidify.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Vanya-tree-house.jpg

• Like 2

A couple of things I've noticed which are sorely missing in ArmA3 but are common in most towns & cities are multi level carparks, universities, schools, major supermarket (eg Woolworths) & a vehicle mechanics garage. Just some suggestions. Thanks.