Wiki

Will you keep buying ArmA games?

Will you still buy ArmA games?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. After the release of Apex, will you keep buying ArmA games?

• Yes of course! I will preorder them!
    • Maybe, but I will wait for feedback first. No preorder nor day 1 for me.
    • No, unless BIS go back to the old mechanics.
    • Never again! I've been too much disappointed.

NO.

Unless these forum/game trolls are removed, I am done with BIS.

If Developers, Moderators or anyone in charge cant see who is really hurting this game and preventing it from taking his place, then you deserve what you got.

Simple as that.

Peace.

Trolls in these forums ? I've been lucky then, haven't found any... Too soon for me to say, probably. But in many other games community forums things are way less clean and polite, from start...

I think its worth pointing out to everyone who keeps complaining about the engine, that BIS is currently in the process of developing a new one (Enfusion) for future games.

It highly depends on a few simple things.

#1. What is the setting ?

If arma 4 takes place in the cold war, current setting or even ww2 I will gladly buy it. If it takes place in the same setting as Arma 3 or even farther into the future then forget about it.

Single biggest problem with Arma 3 is the horrible setting.

#2. Will it remain as readily moddable as Arma 3 ?

This is one of the key factors that has led to Armas success thus far it is vital.

One thing is for sure I am done buying DLC for Arma 3. The expansion was disappointing and the setting continues to aggravate me.

Combine that with the way the Arma community seems to gravitate towards lame, KOTH and life servers and I think I am done with Arma 3 until 4 debuts.

• Like 1

What makes you think "lame, KOTH and life servers" will disappear with Arma 4?

One thing is for sure I am done buying DLC for Arma 3. The expansion was disappointing and the setting continues to aggravate me.

Combine that with the way the Arma community seems to gravitate towards lame, KOTH and life servers and I think I am done with Arma 3 until 4 debuts.

I'm counting down to 'A4L' and Arma 4 KOTH already...

Bohemia Interactive...

Content that they released should be released to all players. Instead, BI made 3 separate DLCs: (Marksmen, Helicopters and the APEX), making the game pay 2 win. On most servers right now, people are only using the Marksmen weapons. But, let me calculate the total value of all of the DLCs.

Marksmen: 10 euros

Helicopters: 10 euros

Apex: 30 euros. This is nearly the same value as the game! It brings 2 new vehicles and a new campaign. Wow.

Overall: 50 euros. For this money, you could buy 3 great games which are greatly optimized.

For paying 40 euros I get a game with badly optimized engine running on 20 frames with spikes and I have to pay additional 30 euros on the DLCs to get the DLCs to propely play the game.

Calculating still, this is 70 euros right now. How many things can you buy for 70 euros? Many. Really many.

But let's not forget about the possitive aspects of the game.

For 40 euros you get a basic game, which is constantly being improved and updated regularry at the Steam Workshop. Mentioning the workshop, there are MAAANY missions and modifications for arma. There are many things that made me love arma. But it's not a review to talk about them right now.

Suggestions how to fix it:

1)Make less pay 2 win content

2)Make Arma more user-friendly

3)Improve the engine

If any developer reads this post, please take the suggestions to considerations. I don't think BI isn't getting their job done, but they're not getting their job done RIGHT.

Whoa, that was a long post. XD

Overall: I will NOT buy any futher BI products unless they improve the engine and get possitive feedback from the community.

You must be really tough as you've gone so far. GG (LOL)

I paid 70€ for the whole package (ArmA 3 + DLC bundle + Apex).

Bohemia Interactive...

Content that they released should be released to all players. Instead, BI made 3 separate DLCs: (Marksmen, Helicopters and the APEX), making the game pay 2 win. On most servers right now, people are only using the Marksmen weapons. But, let me calculate the total value of all of the DLCs.

Marksmen: 10 euros

Helicopters: 10 euros

Apex: 30 euros. This is nearly the same value as the game! It brings 2 new vehicles and a new campaign. Wow.

Overall: 50 euros. For this money, you could buy 3 great games which are greatly optimized.

For paying 40 euros I get a game with badly optimized engine running on 20 frames with spikes

Then you probably have a very old system like me... And... in general, modern games have always required the best hardware. For those of us loving hardcore FPS gaming have kept playing with super optimizaed engines like all the UT and QUake saga (esp. latest Quake Live)

Also... Dunno, if you go to any commercial shop, a game for less than 40, I mean, a big game, not some medium size or indie games available in steam...

The game is big, and it seems even in its basic version has a lot of content and depth, plus a very powerful editor. let alone all what implies maintaining games that are so much editable. That's a pain for the developers in many senses. This is a plus that worths it by itself.

and I have to pay additional 30 euros on the DLCs to get the DLCs to propely play the game.

Calculating still, this is 70 euros right now. How many things can you buy for 70 euros? Many. Really many.

But... maybe I understood it badly ? You don't "need" all that to play... I see it a bit like fremium model...In PlanetSide 2, I don't buy anything... I play with basic weapons and leave it all to skill... (well, I have purchased the AA and anti tank rpg launcher, is freaking great to put down all those space ship and vehicle campers...hehe. )

But let's not forget about the possitive aspects of the game.

For 40 euros you get a basic game, which is constantly being improved and updated regularry at the Steam Workshop. Mentioning the workshop, there are MAAANY missions and modifications for arma. There are many things that made me love arma. But it's not a review to talk about them right now.

If there are so many thing you like about the game, don't you think that has a value ? After playing lots of games, being deeply in many communities, my general conclusion is every game will have tons of flaws because these days the amount of factors for errors and complexity of a development, a game, is amazingly crazy. SO, my advice is: If you still have fun with it, it worths the cost, by far.

Suggestions how to fix it:

1)Make less pay 2 win content

2)Make Arma more user-friendly

As newb as I am (I am only replying you using common sense here, large experience only in the genre, in general. And, to be sincere, I'd hate to see one of the very few games allowing editing to go down due to bad press or whatever...) I gotta say this game is _not_ user unfriendly. The only thing I'd see as a need to fix is the times it makes you wait for starting a match. Those times eliminated would be important specially for newcomers, but I can see however how is not a good idea for a quickie match on some free time one has available....

3)Improve the engine

Well, avoiding to quote the a bit above guy, they are working in an improved engine. (who knows, maybe, or surely, the level of income that is finally acquired by Arma 3 is what might fund the works in the engine. So, purchasing it probably you are helping for those improves to happen. I can tell you having worked inside developing studios, almost ALL (POLITE) user complaints are heard one way or another. And no one is dumb enough to go constantly against what their user base wants. Still, an engine and game code has a lot of dependencies, changes can't happen from one night to the next morning.IMO. ) 

Dunno if developers read these threads, but in my experience in companies, if is not a developer (who rarely have time for forums even if they're willing to have it), somebody like a social media person, a marketing one, a manager, or whatever other worker reads the feedback in most places, and, as possible, the matter reaches some scrum, some meeting, and at some point is decided to modify things if they make sense and are compatible with the current developments and mostly with what investors are asking (the ones who pay ! And ultimately allow the game to keep alive...)

If any developer reads this post, please take the suggestions to considerations. I don't think BI isn't getting their job done, but they're not getting their job done RIGHT.

Whoa, that was a long post. XD

IMO, that'd be too much to say...maybe they are not getting it PERFECT...but...really, who does? Perhaps to get it perfect, you need to have a small game project and go for smaller games niche market (ie: super casual games), or have unlimited resources to pay tons of coders, to constantly bug fix, increase the staff by X times as a project this size needs, etc. IMO, this level has been acquired in every version of UT (its engine has been always wonderful), Quake, valve. But again, the money and resources are extremely different, and the time those started, making games was less complex and needed smaller armies of developers and artists than today.

Overall: I will NOT buy any futher BI products unless they improve the engine and get possitive feedback from the community.

community feedback is always a hybrid beast. In bf play4free the opinion about EA and the developing studio was always super negative, lots of gamers SUPER angry with every decision.(with much more reasons...the situation here is pure heaven in comparison) . Well, guess what...even so, I always saw tons of players, during all the time it lasted, 4 years I think, servers always full, or at least, allways enough available full server to get bored jumping from one server to another just for fun. (there a match started almost instantly)

When you pay 10€ from the DLC, you are paying 5€ for the content and 5€ for all the features/platform updates that come free for all the players (bipods, FFV, visual update etc).

About P2W content, I don't think that. Well, a MMG like the Navid could see to powerful in server with fatigue disabled...

ArmA aren't thought for Arcadish game modes.

How are the Marksmen weapons pay-to-win? oO Last time I checked, it was still the mission creator's responsibility to cater to different user bases. And the official content seems to be strictly separated in terms of DLC asset use.

• Like 1

I don't think the DLC's are pay to win at all. There are ways to access DLC weaponry on multiplayer servers. Besides, some of the best rifles in my opinion are not DLC, such as the Mk 20 and Zafir.

Besides, regarding the purchase of DLC, I just wait until a sale to make the most of my money.

I am always curious about people talking about low fps in multiplayer. Always when I play A3 multiplayer, I get *at least* 30fps, if not more. This actually really makes me think that them folks play on badly done missions, which have too much stuff going on at all times or do not clean up old clutter, etc.

• Like 1

Bohemia Interactive...

Content that they released should be released to all players. Instead, BI made 3 separate DLCs: (Marksmen, Helicopters and the APEX), making the game pay 2 win. On most servers right now, people are only using the Marksmen weapons.

Stop playing KOTH/Wasteland, and that problem will be solved.

• Like 1

I've got thousands and thousands of hours across 15 years, so yes BI will continue to get my money for each and every release/DLC.

They've earned my trust and loyalty until the day they screw up royally (which I can't see happening) and even then they'll get a second chance.  :wub:

• Like 2

Problem with some people theese days is, the think, they are entitled to get everything they want, and when something is (in theyr oppinion), too expensive or too hard to get, they feel betrayed.

Iam going to buy Every Arma Game or DLC i can get. Not right away, ill wait for steam sale or something, because why would i pay more when i can get the game perfectly legaly cheaper, bu i will buy them nevertheless.

• Like 1

I agree, for the most part, with the above. The same people who complain about paying for DLC also run a multitude of games that they paid money for, and keep buying more games.....I even catch people griping about Arma 3 DLC who run DCS lol.....that's just silly, it all is.

I love the fact that the DLC is usable for folks who don't have it, i.e, you can ride in a helicopter you didn't pay for, you just can't use it. Always thought that was a neat approach, and I bet it even made a little money for BI, you know, once people see it n action they might have upgraded.

Where I do think BI has maybe been a little bit harsh was on the Tanoa map. That should be free content. There are folks who are vehemently vanilla Arma 3 folks and won't pay for DLC. Why not keep them interested by making the map another part of an Arma update/upgrade for free, and just charge the rest of us for the weps and vehicles?

~S

I'd keep buying the game. Most of ours prayers have been answered over the years, things like FFV, Sling Load, Advanced Flight model, Weapon Resting/Bipods, better Fatigue, amazing graphics, water reflections, fog, weather features. So maybe the next Arma will have that sweet optimization we've all been hoping for. The Engine has great potential, so does Bohemia. I think some very interesting things can be done with the next Arma, and i sure would put my money on it. If they could just answer a few more of our prayers... We might help cultivate one of the best genre's of gaming, in my opinion. I can find every other game to play, but will always find a way back to Arma.

• Like 3

buying another arma game? in its current state, the current isnt even worth pirating it.

i got SQUAD now and im happy with it.

buying another arma game? in its current state, the current isnt even worth pirating it.

i got SQUAD now and im happy with it.

lol no squad is a joke, you cant even aim correctly in the game as it has a very notchy effect... plus only one type of gamemode can not compete with arma... ill stick to arma the game which can do everything squad and BF PR can do but better... 

Where I do think BI has maybe been a little bit harsh was on the Tanoa map. That should be free content. There are folks who are vehemently vanilla Arma 3 folks and won't pay for DLC. Why not keep them interested by making the map another part of an Arma update/upgrade for free, and just charge the rest of us for the weps and vehicles?

~S

The Tanoa will be worse. Most of the Apex "resources" went to the map while vehicles, weapon, units and campaign got less love.

why would i pay more when i can get the game perfectly legaly cheaper, bu i will buy them nevertheless.

To support BI and make sure the game is profitable to continue making perhaps?

Mind you with the amount of hours of enjoyment I get out of the ARMA series they could literally make it a $100/year subscription and I would still line up and pay that.

I paid $60 for the game and have gotten over 1100 hours out of it. So at the moment I've paid less than 6c per hour of enjoyment. Compare that to the cost per hour of going to a movie or any other form of entertainment.

Preordering and buying an ARMA game is one of the best risk/rewards investments for my entertainment dollar there is. 

• Like 3

And how about the casual path ArmA is taking?

Don't you fear it will leave it's "ultimate military simulation" status?

Considering there have been numerous committee like discussions in the past of why arma is not X simulator back in operation arrowhead's days, nah.

As long as the game remains close to its roots then I'll always buy it..I mean, I understand that arma 3 has suffered a bit due to the lack of a label but had it really strayed? 

Character movement fluidity was changed yes,  but now it has more depth than ever with various stances, the ability to change not only weapons and items but body armor and vests.  The fatigue system is deeper than "I ran a bit so I'm exhausted", wounding is being given more attention, nothing was removed but far more was added despite fear of "making it more accessible".

If anything Arma 3 is more sim like than any of its predecessors, infantry combat is deeper, the AI is becoming more and more capable but also dialed back in a good way, and vehicles are getting love and attention as well whereas in everything up to Arrowhead they were tertiary in comparison to infantry in that they weren't given nearly as much attention.  Now they get more materials, more targetting systems, more critical systems, and so on.

Finally, no I don't fear that Arma will leave its status as a military simulator at heart, at least not under the current administration...they have sunk too much time and resources, there is a near daily flow of patches on dev branch, a willingness to try new things and branch out to add more depth to the game, and developers themselves are communicating with people "face to face".   These are all signs of a strong passion that isn't one to just abandon their game to mediocrity of boiler plate.

• Like 4

What casual path?!?

Most of the "hardcore" milsim stuff has always come from mods, and ARMA 3 is no different.

Now if guys like the ACE team, RHS, the 3CB guys all decided to leave ARMA, then maybe I'd be a little worried. But even then I actually think vanilla ARMA is still pretty good out of the box.

~S

Giving out Tanoa for free would be crazy stupid. It is the only part of the expansion that they can clearly lock out from non-owning players. Engine features are free for all, necessarily. Gear and vehicles are free because of not splitting the multiplayer community (with adverts, but still). If you now give out the new map for free as well you basically just spend years on content where you likely only make very little money from.

Besides, I want BI to spend another 3 years on A3 and the only way this happens is them making more money with DLC.