sic-disaster

[SiC] Operation Flaming Eagle

Today we will strike back against the Syndikat cartel. They have grown bold and have expanded their reach. The weak Tanoan government has let them, but today we shall put them in their place. Your objective is the total elimination of a cartel compound garrison, with whatever means necessary. The mission area may provide various means with which to accomplish your objective. Explore the Area of Operations for anything that will help you with your final goal. 

This is an open-ended mission with various side goals that can alter the flow of the mission. 

THIS MISSION REQUIRES THE MOD 'EDEN OBJECTS' BY KYDOIMOS. 
Look to the right hand side of the workshop mission page to find a direct link to that mod.

Mission features: 
- 65 voice-overs 
- Custom music 
- Multiple side objectives that can influence the flow of the mission 
- A choice with a consequence: take out a comms centre and destroy it, cutting off enemy communications. Or leave a man behind to listen in on enemy comms, leading you to side-objectives (which may otherwise not be found) that can greatly help you with taking the final objective. 
- Fight by day or by night. 
- Almost every building in the AO has been dressed up with furniture etc. 

Voice-overs: 
Papa Bear: [TDNL] Nimster 
Pvt. David Armstrong: Jeza 
Sgt. Garviel Loken: [TDNL] SiC

Download here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=709826091

If you want to hear more about my missions, their progress/updates, and various other mods I might be working on, you can follow me on FB here: https://www.facebook.com/SiCMissionsAndMods/

• Like 3

Video playthrough, thanks for a great mission:)

• Like 4

Really nice mission,

well done! Having lots of fun playing it! Do you plan on making some more missions of this kind? 

(I hope you're not mad, I changed the CTRG units for IPs Tropic KSK. Damn that camo is effective :D )

• Like 1

I'm glad you liked it! And I don't mind, so long as you don't redistribute the mission with those units or something. :P

• Like 1

I pushed out an update for the mission today:

- Fixed a bug where two soundfiles would play simultaneously close to the end of the mission. 
- Changed all player character sounds from playSound to say3D, so that they should be cut off if the player dies while talking.

Ah and sorry, I forgot to say so but yeah, I'm thinking about making some more missions like this. Though it might not be for a little while, because thinking of all the possibilities this mission can throw at you from a design-standpoint is a little exhausting. Like, all of the side-objectives are built twice: one for when you encounter it randomly, and one for when Armstrong tells you about it from the comms centre in Lai Lai. I managed to fix all those up really well, but you can also get reinforcements should your entire team die, for which there are three options: your team dies before taking Lai Lai, your team dies after you've taken Lai Lai and left Armstrong behind, or your team dies after you've taken Lai Lai and blew up the comms centre. So there's three options with several different parameters which I think works as it should after testing it, but it's hard to do so. So I'm actually considering ripping that out and replacing it with something simpler: maybe you can find reinforcements in one of the towns on the island, and either Armstrong tells you about it, or HQ can tell you about it. That might simplify things a bit on my end.

In the meantime, I'm happy with some of the comments on the workshop page :)

"That was incredible! One of the best missions I have ever played and a wonderful introduction to Tanoa.Thanks so much :D" - Wookiejedi

"OMG this is one of the best missions I have ever played in ARMA. Thank you very much for this. I hope to see more in the future." - Muty
  • Like 3

Object placement (ambient decoration on otherwise empty BIS rooms), voice acting, on spot dialog lines, and a diverse array of objectives... this mission is surely a solid Arma classic! Hope to see more of this delightful entertainement ;D

Oh, and yeah, giving choices (like the soldier evesdropping the radio comms) to players is awesome! Way to go sir!

cheers!

• Like 3

I said it on the steam workshop, but I had to come here and congratulate you again.This is easily one of the very best missions I have ever played.

What a perfect first mission to get used to Tanoa with :) So much variety and fun-and lots of random things happened to me too. Lost a teammate right in the middle of a street to a sniper who I just never found-I scoured the hills for him but he disappeared-very realistic in that sense. 

Keep it up mate-I really hope we see more awesome missions soon.Thanks again

EDIT: Oh-I see you quoted me in a previous post ;) ""That was incredible! One of the best missions I have ever played and a wonderful introduction to Tanoa.Thanks so much :D" - Wookiejedi

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. Most likely I will start replacing the current method of providing reinforcements because it's a bit unwieldy with too many parameters that are hard to account for, and occasionally leads to the reinforcements not joining the player. 

I'm aiming to simplify this on my end and implement it the same way the other side-objectives work, with reinforcements that don't have to be flown in but who will be waiting somewhere on the map. I'm thinking of perhaps a few local policemen who are not yet corrupt and might be willing to join the fight. It'll be easier to get right, and should lead to the mission basically being completely bug-free. I hope :P

Also, there's a bunch of things that *might* happen in the mission that don't necessarily happen. For example, there's a place which is occupied by cartel troops that the player might stumble across. There's also long-range patrols walking throughout the area. If you happen to kill the guys occupying this place, the long-range patrol might find out and call for reinforcements to the main objective, making it harder for the player to complete it.

• Like 2

I can't play this mission.  Instead of launching mission, I get error "Vehicle class Bunk_Beds_F no longer exists".

Thanks, will do.  You might want to specify that reqirement in your original post.

I actually did, but without the link. I pointed people to the right-hand side of the mission's workshop page. Anyway, hope you enjoy the mission!

• Like 1

It's finally here: the update for Operation Flaming Eagle.

The original reinforcement system got ripped out and replaced by one with much simpler parameters, making it much more reliable. But for it to work I needed new voice-overs from Papa Bear, Sgt. Garviel Loken (+1 rep to people who know him without Googling!), and a completely new role: police officers known only as Honey Badger, for damn good reasons.

Thanks to [TDNL] Nimster and Sir Hunter for providing me with the voice-overs I needed.

This update should have made Operation Flaming Eagle completely bug-free. However, if you do still encounter a bug, please let me know so I can try and fix it!

Finally got around to playing this, and I must say I am VERY impressed.  Really a perfect infantry mission that showcases what ARMA is all about.  Varied objectives, choose your approach, changing story, fully voiced.  Outstanding work man!  Played for 3 hours and still haven't finished (having trouble clearing the compound).

I've been scripting and not playing for months now, and this reminded me how fun and immersive it can be to play a high quality mission.

Got any new missions under development?  I hope so.

• Like 2

I've played for about 1.5 hours so for.  Immersive and impressive to say the least!  I really like how when you lose most of your squad (which I almost always do in most missions, not just yours), it's possible to get reinforcements.  Also, we're not up against an overwhelming number of forces (in the first couple of objectives at least), which is a good thing.

Found a quick problem:

Spoiler

In successfully taking over Lailai, I got my squad killed.  (They fought bravely!)  Learned about the uncorrupted police in Yanukka.  Took the boat on a sight-seeing trip around the west side of the island and made it to the building they were waiting in.  Police gave their speech and joined my group but were stuck in the building and never made it out.  Curious, do they get stuck in there for everyone? ...or perhaps just for me?  (Anyhow, next time I play I'll enable the debug console so I can setPos each of the policemen out of that building and keep going.)

Great mission so far, hope you keep making these!

@madrussian my guess is its an arma bug, not a mission bug, and probably happens insconsistently.  In this mission, my medic got stuck in lailai and refused to follow orders so I had to grease him.   Happened to me a few times in my Property of Mabunga mission also.  Just finished this mission...loved it.

Yeah, that's my guess too.  I was writing a building takeover script on Stratis a while back and had a LOT of AI getting stuck in various buildings in Agia Marina.  Even single AIs in their own group.  They could go in, but never make it back out.  Provided a detailed write-up about it here.

For the record, in this mission those AI got stuck in their orig building without any AI mods running. Just "CBA_A3", "CUP Terrains - Core", "CUP Terrains - Maps", and "Eden Objects".  If that building happens to be problematic for other players too, maybe consider choosing a different building for the police to occupy?  Anyhow, really hope BIS gets this "AI stuck in buildings" situation sorted out by ArmA 4!

• Like 1

Just finished this. Good mission.
I PBO's the mission to take a peak because there are things I want to incorporate into my mission, but couldn't because it's using an order version of BIS.

It was nice to see that a few buildings had some funiture and objects inside. Most missions makers ignore this aspect.
Glad you didn't.

Just two things:
1. I suggest your radio man use a voice that makes it sound like he's on a radio.
2. For some reason, the enemy chopper did not show up.

Other than that, enjoyed it mucho!

Anyways, thanks for your hard work!