swtx

FMOD in ARMA 3 (A more civil discussion)

I have downloaded and played around with the new weapons in the APEX preview build and i'm still convinced that FMOD integration into the RV engine would do wonders for the performance and immersion.  

In case your not familiar, FMOD is a sound standard that is used in both CryEngine and Unreal engine.  It allows for a more realistic cyclic rate for automatic weapons as well as heavy machine guns.  FMOD features a integrated sound editor and template for select fire and machine gun weapons.  

As most of you are aware the RV engine running ARMA doesn't reflect accurate weapon cyclic rates and under performs especially when cyclic rates are higher, like  900 rounds per minute or higher.

Let me know your thoughts on this and if you would like to get the community behind an effort to integrate FMOD into this great title.

I'm curious why you think FMOD will have an effect on cyclic rates in Arma. As far as I am aware, the fire rate of weapons in Arma is tied to frame rate, not the sound engine. Do you have some reason to believe that the sound engine is somehow negatively effecting fire rates in Arma?

[...] i'm still convinced that FMOD [...]

Noone really cares. Sorry to be that blunt but instead of wasting people's time and spreading misinformation. I was also conviced but read on.

I'm curious why you think FMOD will have an effect on cyclic rates in Arma. As far as I am aware, the fire rate of weapons in Arma is tied to frame rate, not the sound engine.

Absolutely correct. FPS -> RPM -> Sounds being played. In that order.

Jesus christ goddamit. Stop opening these bull* threads people, they are spreading SO much misinformation (sound engine is affecting RPM of weapons, WTF?!). It's annoying to have to explain things again and again.

I talked with the audio lead last year about this topic IN DEPTH.

FMOD is audio middleware. It costs a shit ton of money. BI developed their OWN "middleware" to NOT be dependant on out-of-house software (bugfixes, features, and ofc $$$). So BI prefers to use their own software. FMOD/WWISE/FABRIC/whatHaveYou will never be in ArmA.  Deal with it. 

There are many improvements coming. Curretly there is loop playback for weapons but without the soundShader implementation , so no close/distant sounds in loops but that will come when soundSets arrive for vehicles which will have loop playback anyway. Then all of your ROF issues will be fixed. No idea when this will happen but it will happen. If you really wanna support BI, buy Dusa a package of chocolate and beer and send it to Mnisek so he can share it with the few people working on audio for Arma.

• Like 8

Closing, as unfortunately this thread seems like familiar territory (flame-baiting, name calling and bitching etc). 

:padlock:

• Like 2