Sign in to follow this  
Theo1143

Arma 3 banning system

Hey

I wanna talk about the ban system in place atm on current servers.

And i'm wondering if Bohemia is planning to finally change something in this regard any time soon.

Every arma player knows how bad the banning system is right now, scripters fly under the rader while hackers have the time of their life.

But that is not where i wanna talk about, because even how bad this is, this is not the worst thing out there.

While i do like the idea of being able to host a server whit whatever i want on it but the pros vs the cons is it far from worth it!

Because while everyone can do that, they can do everything they seem fit either...

People are getting banned left and right for langues because they said f*ck once or they didn't respond on the dime.

Server admin really do whatever they want and while understandable to the level off they can.

You know what the other-side is, is that Bohemia owns this game and this banning system.

While they can prevent a lot of the banning being needed in the first place (changing the designs of sudden missions so camping ain't even possible, safezone, whatever u get the point.)

Just an example of myself, got banned yesterday in KotH.

Reason: insult, I called him a noob...

Situation: I landed a heli full whit infantry around 20 / 30 meters from tower 3 while this car comes driving up from the other side.

Knowing he couldn't do sh*t he didn't even bother to get out either so he drove (tried to) into me, didn't end well for him, guys jumped out and blazed him before he came real close.

While the server rules state clearly that that is against the rules, me stating him the rules in global channel gets me banned for insults...

While again, Bohemia i look to you, why the f*ck do we have a global chat in arma? beside altis life and the zombie server.

The problem is that Bohemia has the solution of a lot of problems we do encounter.

And to mine opinion it is about time they also do so...

In the end admins who do random banns or banns whit no reasons do make the game look bad.

I get the entire thing of ey he paid for it so he can do whatever he want, till the point off...

It still is a arma server and not to mentioned everyone has already paid for the game.

So to say that you can do whatever you want whit a server, is a bit big talk.

There is a difference between making use or abusing the admin system in place.

"Bohemia has the solution"? Which is what exactly? Remove the ability to ban people? Or should admins be required to file a formal report to request a permission to ban someone? Then Bohemia's ban department reviews the video evidence and approves it?

• Like 1

"Bohemia has the solution"? Which is what exactly? Remove the ability to ban people? Or should admins be required to file a formal report to request a permission to ban someone? Then Bohemia's ban department reviews the video evidence and approves it?

The problem is that Bohemia has the solution of "a lot" of problems

Take invade and annex for example, why no one is playing it anymore just being honest...

People got mainly banned for team-killing at base while Bohemia could have given the tools directly to prevent that whit a "real" working safe zone.

Or for being in the pilot slot and not being on a teamspeak server because sorry sad to say but arma ingame voice just sucks balls, again they have the solution if they wanted too...

The thing whit mods is that mods them-self bring so much problems whit them that the majority not even bothers whereby the minority will keep playing arma.

Mods are a great thing to test things, and a wonderful "addition". The game should not relly on mods this heavily especially while we know the majority is limited to the base game.

Nor whit the protection of a base a safe zone scripted by a modder will never be as good as one made by Bohemia themselves.

Just to make myself clear, I won't call steam workshop mods... 

Bohemia have given us the solution to these problems. It's called scripting/coding.

1. Creating a safe zone is so easy for someone who knows the SQF syntax. 

2. VoIP can be drastically improved if the server owners change the codec quality in the server.cfg (I admit though, VoIP is not amazing, but it does the job).

3. Mods are exactly that, modifications. Therefore, they are not guaranteed to be stable because a non-official dev has created them. If you dislike someone's mod, you can create your own.

I think your real problem is with the abusive staff which reside on 90% of Arma communities. This is unfortunately a fact of life. Usually, those who find themselves in positions of power have inferiority complexes and thus they must exert their newly found powers onto others. I think you've guessed the solution to this problem, create your own community.

• Like 1

BattlEye actually does a good job fighting common hacks and scripts. There will always be hacks that don't get detected by BattlEye, but sooner or later they will be detected, depending on the budget BI made avialable for BE. Other big Anti-Cheat providers like PunkBuster have the same problems.

And about abusive admins: It's their good right to ban anyone on their server without a reason. After all, they host servers voluntarily. And thats why people should be thankful.

Bohemia Interactive can't do anything about this, it's not their fault that people get banned with no reason.

• Like 2

how about you pay for your own server and do whatever you wanna do with it: from setting your own rules to banning or not anyone you please. the cost is about 30-70EUs/month depending on type of host you want.

you obviously seem to confuse the "banning system BI uses" for hacks = BE with server side bans. Not the same thing.

or play on one of the several servers Bi provides (or used to anyways)

the self-entitlement these days...

• Like 5

Agree with all the above posts..its not BI's issue..its the server admins..they pay for the server they make the rules..pretty simple. A lot of people don't realize the work that goes into running a server,besides the money there is time, mod uploads,mission editing or making etc etc..plenty of servers out there to choose from with a huge variety of missions. Find one you like and make it a Favorite I have a select few that I go back to because the admins are good people and fair and run good missions.

Diesel

I can only speak for our server here....

If someone is kicked or banned from the server, it is for a reason.

I have no idea what the real issue issue was for you or how you caused it, other than I can safely say, you will not have told the full unbiased story, as that would most likely undermine any argument you put forward here.

Typically folks who complain about being banned play the, "I'm a victim here b/s" and its normally brought about by some foolish, selfish act or lack of understanding about how that server operates and it's rule-set.

If you feel you have been unduly banned from a server then the only people you can complain to about it are the server admins, or the guy in charge of that server.

If you don't like the way a particular server does things then simply find one that's more in line with your style of game play.

If you cant find one then spend the hours, days , weeks , months, years it takes to build up a decent community and then see if your approach to the banning system changes.

My only issue with the B.I banning system, it would be nice imo if the inbuilt banning system was as powerful as the Battleye-Rcon system

• Like 1

What would really be great would be some kind of payback for those individuals that feel they can go in to someone's server and wreak havoc by using hacker scripts. We've had to develop our own methods to combat this issue...but come on folks. Really?

We pay for our server. If you want to cause problems on OUR server...sorry...ban. It's simple. We don't spend a lot of time and money so random jerks can come and do what they want. We cater to those that want a quality experience.

• Like 1

I can tell you about bad admins who are friends with players on Arma 3`. Stay away from Easy's altis life servers now know as c8gaming. If your a threat to their friends making money they permanently ban you! I was banned for absolutely nothing. There may be a lot of work involved in running a server but straight up bias towards other players because your not friends with them is total BS! Not all people PHX are bad and for an admin to have that view is exactly the point we are trying to make. Yes they pay for the server yes they can do what they want but say it's okay says a lot about the type of admin you are. I was banned for nothing and this is backed by 15 other players. No video, no audio evidence against me I was just a straight up threat to their friends money in game and they didn't like me so poof. Banned from their TS for nothing banned from their server for nothing banned from their forums for telling the truth and that's all it took. I filed an appeal obviously it was denied. It was denied because TOAST the admin is the friend of several players on there and he took it personal and denied my appeal. We started a gang and it grew quick so......remove the threat. That's sad he must have been bullied in school and here is his chance to be one.. I play with a bunch of military vet friends of mine we have all contacted BI about it and they don't care. So as much bad publicity I can give that server I will based on facts. If no one plays on the server it goes down and then BI feels the hurt that way.

1 hour ago, El Chapyohead said:

I can tell you about bad admins who are friends with players on Arma 3`. Stay away from Easy's altis life servers now know as c8gaming. If your a threat to their friends making money they permanently ban you! I was banned for absolutely nothing. There may be a lot of work involved in running a server but straight up bias towards other players because your not friends with them is total BS! Not all people PHX are bad and for an admin to have that view is exactly the point we are trying to make. Yes they pay for the server yes they can do what they want but say it's okay says a lot about the type of admin you are. I was banned for nothing and this is backed by 15 other players. No video, no audio evidence against me I was just a straight up threat to their friends money in game and they didn't like me so poof. Banned from their TS for nothing banned from their server for nothing banned from their forums for telling the truth and that's all it took. I filed an appeal obviously it was denied. It was denied because TOAST the admin is the friend of several players on there and he took it personal and denied my appeal. We started a gang and it grew quick so......remove the threat. That's sad he must have been bullied in school and here is his chance to be one.. I play with a bunch of military vet friends of mine we have all contacted BI about it and they don't care. So as much bad publicity I can give that server I will based on facts. If no one plays on the server it goes down and then BI feels the hurt that way.

This is thread necromancy and likely against the forums TOS. What you've posted is also not what this topic was for. But in the interest of defamation i will respond to this, so perhaps you should read your ban appeal. Here i'll link you.

http://c8gaming.com/forums/topic/3006-fail-roleplay-appeal-el-chopyohead-el-chopyohead/