Sign in to follow this  
razzkulz

Convoy trigger & Sidechat text

I'm making a mission but I need to implement some final features before I want to play it with my unit. It's a simple mission where you have to destroy two ammo caches and I got the task working. Now there are three things that I fail to find any tutorial on;

1. I have a convoy stationed in the town above and once a BLUFOR unit enters the town with the ammo caches, the convoy should move to that town and a new task should be created with 'Repel the convoy', and succeed if all three technicals are destroyed.
  2. At the beginning of the mission and when the convoy gets triggered, SideChat text should come up with HQ saying "Go clear that town blah blah" and when the convoy comes "Intel suggest a convoy may be heading your way blah blah".

I know only the basics of Eden so it's a bit hard for me to figure these things out.

Triggers are your friend in this case.  For your convoy give that group waypoints.  First name your technicals tech1, tech2 and tech3 in each vehicle's Name field.  Then create a HOLD waypoint right in front of the lead vehicle then MOVE waypoint about half way to the town and finally a SEEK AND DESTROY in the town for the attack.  In the OnActivation field of the MOVE waypoint place this text:

player sideChat "Intel suggests a convoy may be heading your way blah blah"

The HOLD waypoint will keep the vehicles sitting there until it's released.  We'll use a trigger for that.

Since we want the convoy to move when BLUFOR shows up we'll set up a Trigger to detect that.  Place down your trigger in the town and change it's size so that it covers the area you want.  Set it's Type to be Waypoint Activation and Activation to be BLUFOR and Activation Type to be Present.  Next in the On Activation field type in:

player sideChat "Go clear that town blah blah"

Click OK then right click on your Trigger and Connect > and connect it via Waypoint Activation to the HOLD waypoint by your technicals.  You can also connect this trigger to your Repel the Convoy Assigned State module or whatever it is (I tend to use scripts for tasks still).

Next we'll need a trigger to determine when the convoy is destroyed.  So place another trigger down somewhere, size doesn't matter.  For this one we'll just need to change the Condition field.  Currently it says this.  We'll want to change it to the following instead:

{alive _x} count [tech1, tech2, tech3] == 0

Then connect that trigger to your Repel the Convoy Completed State thingie.

So, we have a group of technicals with waypoints that remain where they are until BLUFOR enters a trigger which releases the HOLD and sets them on their way while activating the task and giving the players a message to clear the town.  While the vehicles are travelling the players will get a warning that they are coming based on the waypoint the bad guys cross.  Finally once the three vehicles are destroyed that task will be completed.

Give that a shot and see how it works for you and let us know if you have questions.

• Like 2

I'm not an Eden expert myself, but this is the way I'll take care of that:

1: put down on map the convoy, and NAME each vehicle;lets say tech1,tech2,tech3. Group them and give a MOVE waypoint near them, and a SEARCH&DESTROY waypoint in the ammo cache town.

Place a trigger large enough to fit the City, and NAME IT, (lets say trig1) with BLUFOR PRESENT as condition and synk it to the first MOVE waypoint. Now when BLUFOR enter the trigger, convoy will move to the SEARCH&DESTROY waypoint.

Place a CREATE TASK module , fill in the required info, and give a ASSIGNED state, and synk it with player.

Create a new trigger (0 by 0) Type:NONE, Activation:NONE; in his init field put:

triggerActivated trig1; 

and sync it to the CREATE TASK module: (when trig1 is fired, as BLUFOR enter town, the "REPEL CONVOY" task will be given.

Place a SET TASK STATE module, give it a SUCCEDED state; sync it to a new trigger (no area) with this in condition field:

{alive _x} count [tech1,tech2,tech3] < 1

When tech 1,2 and 3 are destroyed, a COMPLETED TASK will be give to you.

For the SideChat, I'm not using it,but google it and you will find many tutorial on it.

NOTE: this is my  way to do this, based on my limited knowledge.I'm sure there are more effective way to do this. 

EDIT: kylania beat me..LOL..but beside him explain it a little bit better, looks like we had the same idea. HAHAHAHAH

Triggers are your friend in this case.  For your convoy give that group waypoints.  First name your technicals tech1, tech2 and tech3 in each vehicle's Name field.  Then create a HOLD waypoint right in front of the lead vehicle then MOVE waypoint about half way to the town and finally a SEEK AND DESTROY in the town for the attack.  In the OnActivation field of the MOVE waypoint place this text:

player sideChat "Intel suggests a convoy may be heading your way blah blah"

The HOLD waypoint will keep the vehicles sitting there until it's released.  We'll use a trigger for that.

Since we want the convoy to move when BLUFOR shows up we'll set up a Trigger to detect that.  Place down your trigger in the town and change it's size so that it covers the area you want.  Set it's Type to be Waypoint Activation and Activation to be BLUFOR and Activation Type to be Present.  Next in the On Activation field type in:

player sideChat "Go clear that town blah blah"

Click OK then right click on your Trigger and Connect > and connect it via Waypoint Activation to the HOLD waypoint by your technicals.  You can also connect this trigger to your Repel the Convoy Assigned State module or whatever it is (I tend to use scripts for tasks still).

Next we'll need a trigger to determine when the convoy is destroyed.  So place another trigger down somewhere, size doesn't matter.  For this one we'll just need to change the Condition field.  Currently it says this.  We'll want to change it to the following instead:

{alive _x} count [tech1, tech2, tech3] == 0

Then connect that trigger to your Repel the Convoy Completed State thingie.

So, we have a group of technicals with waypoints that remain where they are until BLUFOR enters a trigger which releases the HOLD and sets them on their way while activating the task and giving the players a message to clear the town.  While the vehicles are travelling the players will get a warning that they are coming based on the waypoint the bad guys cross.  Finally once the three vehicles are destroyed that task will be completed.

Give that a shot and see how it works for you and let us know if you have questions.

Thanks so much for your help! I got a question though. I didn't formulate my problem correctly, I want HQ to notify the player in side chat at the beginning of the mission that they have to go clear the town, not when they enter it. HQ notifying the players of the upcoming convoy when they enter the town is correct though. I'm gonna try all of this out right now!

Also, for the side chat text, what should I fill in the 'player' section? Is it just player SideChat text or something like rhs_officer SideChat "Hi";?

Edit: Okay so I've got everything working save for a couple of things. I'm trying to have a conversation in the trigger section by doing this;

player sideChat "Hello";

sleep 5;

player sideChat "Hi";

sleep 5;

player sideChat "Bye";

This just spawns me with a black box and an error saying "ERROR Generic error in expression" as soon as this trigger gets activated. Also, how do I make the 'player' part into like something named HQ or Crossroads?

When you type into the side chat channel as a player everyone on your side sees what you typed.  However when we use sideChat as a command in a script only the player running the command sees the text styled like a side chat message.  This is because its effects are what is called "local".  You can see that with this icon on the wiki page:  effects_local.gif

What that means for us is that every player will need to run that command.  In this example we let the trigger do that.  Triggers which are on the map execute their onActivation for all clients (and the server).  So when we type in:

player sideChat "Blah blah";

it's having every player say "Blah blah" to themselves using the sideChat command and player will be evaluated for each person playing to type to themselves.

The this part of the trigger condition which is there by default means "Execute this trigger based on the settings in the drop down boxes for activation", generally things like BLUFOR PRESENT or whatever.  In the "are the cars destroyed?" trigger I used you'll notice we replaced the this with some other code, ignoring the drop down settings and using our own expression for when the trigger should go off.

It sounds like you've got a this in the wrong place perhaps?  It should only appear in the Condition field and only if you're wanting the Activation drop downs to control when the trigger executes.  If you have this in the onActivation box with the player sideChat stuff, you can remove it from there since it's not making sense to the game being there.

For the messages from HQ/Crossroads I believe this works:

[west, "HQ"] sideChat "Go get 'em soldier!";

instead of player sideChat ...

For global sideChat

[[west, "HQ"],"Go get 'em soldier!"] remoteExec ["sideChat",2];
  • Like 1