-TFP- Bridge.J

Multiple issues with a custom VTOL aircraft

Hi all,

So I am setting up a custom aircraft (a plane config w/ VTOL) and it has a few issues that are giving me grief.

1) It takes a long time to enter and sometimes exit the aircraft, this happens on all seats (Pilot, Copilot, Passengers). Also tied to this in multiplayer sometimes players get stuck when trying to enter (they end up just standing in front of the entry point unable to move or do anything).

Edit: Fixed, thanks to x3kj (solution is post 6/7.

-----

2) The Copilot's first person view is bugged, the camera appears in the troop bay. This started after I added the cargo proxies for the passengers but I don't know why. It's just supposed to be a regular first person view from his seat in the cockpit.

Edit: Fixed this bug, turns out the co-pilot turret defaulted to the View Cargo LOD which doesn't have the pilot & co-pilot proxies present :) Fixed with the following added to the turret config:

lodTurnedIn = 1100; //1100 = View Pilot LOD
lodTurnedOut = 1100; //1100 = View Pilot LOD

-----

3) The Copilot cannot takeoff if he takes control while the aircraft is on the ground. You throttle up but nothing happens. If you take control while the aircraft is already flying then it works fine until you land, then you're stuck again.

To show you guys what I mean I made a quick vid showing all issues: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRstcni8_mo&feature=youtu.be

Would appreciate any help, this is driving me nuts.

Cheers

Bridge

You haven't done any rituals to appease the Machinespirit, so it's no wonder that you have issues.

3) The Copilot cannot takeoff if he takes control while the aircraft is on the ground.

Are you in hover mode or in "default mode"? The valkyrie has no wheels, so you need to direct all thrust upwards. In normal mode the thrust is forward + upward. In Hover mode, all thrust is upwards.

1) It takes a long time to enter and sometimes exit the aircraft

I would guess that this is due to a lack of transition animations. If you recall vanilla pilot animations - they climb in, which takes a while. So the fault could be in the animation configuration.
  • Like 1

Are you in hover mode or in "default mode"? The valkyrie has no wheels, so you need to direct all thrust upwards. In normal mode the thrust is forward + upward. In Hover mode, all thrust is upwards.

Definitely in hover. It's strange as the copilot can turn the engine on and can throttle up (as per my video you can hear the engine output increasing) but nothing happens.

I would guess that this is due to a lack of transition animations. If you recall vanilla pilot animations - they climb in, which takes a while. So the fault could be in the animation configuration.

Hmm, I thought it might be so I tried disabling the animations and it still happens even though there's no animation playing.

It's strange as the copilot can turn the engine on and can throttle up (as per my video you can hear the engine output increasing) but nothing happens.

The "take over controll" feature was established in A3, which has no "official" VTOL support yet - the VTOL just happens to work like it did before. So it could be a bug related to the controll overtake feature itself rather then a config bug.

Hmm, I thought it might be so I tried disabling the animations and it still happens even though there's no animation playing.

Disable how exactly?

Disable how exactly?

For the pilot and passengers:

GetInAction = "";
GetOutAction = "";
cargoGetInAction[] = {""};
cargoGetOutAction[] = {""};

And for the copilot:

gunnerGetInAction = "";
gunnerGetOutAction = "";

So now it doesn't play any animation but still takes ages to enter in singleplayer and you get stuck in multiplayer unless the person already in the vehicle disembarks. I remember this problem happening a while ago on the RHS C-130 but I don't know if/how they fixed it.

You encouraged me to work on my own Valk again, found this in the process:

getInRadius = 5;
        durationGetIn = 0.99;
        durationGetOut = 0.99;

getInRadius = 5;
        durationGetIn = 0.99;
        durationGetOut = 0.99;

Aha! This fixed it. I had to set both of the duration values to 0 and now it works perfectly even in multiplayer. Many thanks for the help :)

Another question, do you happen to know if there's any good tutorials or samples for aircraft door guns? I can't seem to find anything and I was planning to have door guns on my Valkyrie. Would have been nice if Bohemia had included the Ghosthawk in the Arma 3 Samples but they only put the Kasatka in :(

turrets for planes work like for any other vehicle (helicopters, tanks, ...), for the most part. The basics are definitely the same. There was a small caveat/limitation with plane turrets iirc, but i don't remember what it was.