johnnyboy

[Solved] Need help with playing OGV video, see 3 small videos playing

SOLVED!

Problem:

Hi guys.  I converted a MP4 video to OGV.  I picked 640x480 as a 4:3 resolution as recommended by this post.  In-game, it gives me a big picture which is first frame of video, and plays the video in 3 small positions across top of screen, as in screen shot below.  I've forum searched and don't see a posted solution.

Solution:

1. In Windows Movie Maker, when using Save Movie choose Create Custom Setting option and set Width=640 and Height=480 and output an .MP4 video.

2. Using Theora Converter, under Video Options 2, check "Resize Video" and set Width=640 and Height=480.  Click start and it outputs an .OGV file.

These 2 techniques worked to show the video in Arma 3.  The video quality wasn't that great, so I think I will try a higher 4:3 resolution than 640/480.

To show full screen, put this in your init:

_video = ["Mabungadancers.ogv"] spawn bis_fnc_playVideo; 
waitUntil {scriptDone _video}; 

To show on a Big Screen TV object, use this code (I got this from KillZone Kid Blog post):

[] spawn {
with uiNamespace do {
    _tv = "Land_FlatTV_01_F" createVehicle (player modelToWorld [0,1,0]);
    _tv setObjectTexture [0,"Mabungadancers.ogv"]; 
    disableSerialization;
    1100 cutRsc ["RscMissionScreen","PLAIN"];
    _scr = BIS_RscMissionScreen displayCtrl 1100;
    _scr ctrlSetPosition [-10,-10,0,0];
    _scr ctrlSetText "Mabungadancers.ogv";
    _scr ctrlAddEventHandler ["VideoStopped", {
        (uiNamespace getVariable "BIS_RscMissionScreen") closeDisplay 1;
    }];
    _scr ctrlCommit 0;
};
}

Problem screenshot:

Screenshot_5_23_2016_2_55_52_PM.jpg

• Like 1

Hey JB. I finally got myy intro to .ogv so the player can view or skip on the intro.

Did you place your .ogv file in a folder or just place it in your mission folder?

I'm slightly puzzled right now on the process to get it playing on the intro and what and where to write the code.

Hey Spooky,

I put my .ogv in the mission folder and called it from the init.sqf.  At this point, this is just a test mission that does nothing but the show the video.  I was just making myself a working example of showing a .ogv file.  And using it to test the quality of the video after I compressed it and resized it.

I haven't made a real intro since Arma 1.  So you should google for an intro tutorial.  Or find a mission with a simple intro you like, and unPBO it to see how they did it.

Good luck.

cheers for that info, I  think that has put me a bit closer. I have managed to get a really good quality .ogv sorted for mine. I had to convert it from .veg file to mp4 then to a.ogv. Sony vegas wouldn't let me save straight to ogv, so I had to go round the houses a little. But what I have is looking good. I plan to to do a pre-release this week at some point so keep an eye out for it. This is my first one too, so don't expect a blockbuster. LOL 

How do you guys manage the stuttering sound not sync with video? I did manage to create & play some .ogv video as intro in the past, but quite never manage to properly  make them work in a acceptable way......

I'm no expert.  Maybe I was lucky, but the sound seems synched to me.  This is what I did:

• Record AVI video with Fraps
  • Edit video with Movie Maker
  • Save video from Movie Maker as MP4, using a 4:3 aspect ratio
  • Compress MP4 video using Handbrake to reduce file size
  • Convert MP4 to OGV using Theora, and reduce to lower 4:3 aspect ratio

It took quite a bit of d***ing around, but seems acceptable now.  For details on any of those steps, google the individual tools.

• Like 1

Mine plays with the mission. But when i uploaded to youtube they made it worse. By that i mean shaky camera. I was asked if i wanted them to remove the shakiness. They made another version and made it worse. My original only had a little but that was due to lag in game.

Tbh i think i will keep mine as part of the scenario because on its own the intro vid is massive.