Jawshy

Text chat disappearing upon entering Splendid Camera

Text chat (player text messages, system messages, et cetera) disappear upon entering the Splendid Camera. Exiting the camera does not resolve the issue; aborting to the lobby and rejoining the mission will restore text chat. 

Steps to reproduce: 

1. Start up and join a dedicated server. 
  2. Login as the admin. 
  3. Hit escape and enter the Splendid Camera. 
  4. Notice that text chat is no longer visible in-game. Text chat should still be visible to other clients, and will appear in the server and RCon logs. 
  5. Abort to lobby and rejoin. 
  6. Text chat should be visible again. 

Game version: 1.58.135742

This issue persists in version 1.60.136125 Release Candidate (RC) branch.

This issue persists in version 1.60.136125 Release Candidate (RC) branch.

Thank you for the info, already looking into that.

I am experiencing this issue again in version 1.64.138497 (21-09-2016) RC6. The steps to reproduce are the same.

I had the same problem. There is option in game settings for video capture (I forgot exact name) which disables chat window to keep window empty for people who record their game play for youtube without chat. You need to uncheck that parameter to return your chat box back.

Just to add the information here (incase there are some poor souls scouring the forums for this issue).

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T120418#1518242

This appears to be a strange issue with where the camera display is actually being created. The camera display is normally created on the RscDisplayMission display, which causes issues when you quit out of it (i.e. no text showing up). If the camera display is created on RscDisplayMPInterrupt the text comes back as it is supposed to. A quick fix to just get rid of the symptoms is to call showChat = true; on the Exit mode of the a3\functions_f\Debug\fn_camera.sqf script. In the mean time players can fix the symptoms by locally executing showChat = true; in the debug console, or if they have CBA by adding

class Extended_DisplayUnload_EventHandlers {
    class RscDisplayCamera {
        potato = "showChat true";
    };
};
to their mission's description.ext or a mod's config.cpp.

Noticed this last week when I used the enabled streaming mode option In game settings . When I went to disable streaming mode it did nothing.the chat was gone. Only when I rejoined server did it return.