Sign in to follow this  
trent

When is BIS going to jump in with VR?

Been wondering this as other devs are moving ahead with their projects and BIS games seem so suited for it. Previous games had seamless full-body movement when so many settle for a camera floating in space. One of the few games to support TrackIR and has independent head movement already built into it.

You have tech demos showing full simulation of weapons like this:

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NBI71.gif

FPSs are no longer floating around with a gun nailed to the side of your screen. Reloading is no longer just a cooldown timer. The design and layout of a weapon will actually factor into its usability in a game.

Given the demanding framerates and the current quality of VR releases, you could comfortably shrink down from the scope of Altis to something the size of the hotel used in the Sharpshooter DLC shooting range, whilst reusing old Arma assets. All you really need is an enclosed space of several rooms with AI that won't freak out trying to go through a doorframe.

BIS has had issues when trying to do two large projects at once (Carrier Command, DayZ standalone) but I think a tactical arena shooter of this scale would be achievable.

• Like 3

BIS is currently working on a VR title out of their new Amsterdam studio. No word on what it actually is though. 

Hello, to correct mr. @slatts - we are indeed working on an unspecified VR game, but it's not the role of our Amsterdam studio and it will not have anything in common with our military-themed games.

• Like 2

What a BI game that is not in the Armaverse... heresy

VR tech is still like 5 years away from being practical for something like ARMA. 

BIS is currently working on a VR title out of their new Amsterdam studio. No word on what it actually is though.

My 10 cents:

Amsterdam office is not even open yet ;-) DNA and Korneel moved back end February/march and building is still being worked on (i know for sure BI will put up a post somewhere that the office will be open for use).

They said to be going to support ARMA3 from the Amsterdam office (what they are currently still doing) and creating new games in the future.

This could be a VR project of course but they still need to hire a entire team in NL or take alot of devs from the other offices.

BI hosted a developers conference, end 2015, searching for new employees for the unannounced VR project led by Martin Melicharek (Take On Mars) ;-) think this will be the 1st new VR project worked on by BI 04d479283475c41e963f95cac85b1b2b.jpg

Send with mobile