HeroesandvillainsOS

Not able to use NVG's through most scopes. Intentional?

I'm just wondering if there's any way to use night vision goggles when aiming through a scope. Almost all vanilla and modded scopes don't allow me to use my night vision when aiming so I don't really know how any night vision mission would be possible.

The only one I've found that lets me do this is the Nightstalker but I hate using it because of the auto-zoom when aiming. It feels like cheating because the scope is extremely powerful with tons of settings.

Is this intentional or am I missing a setting somewhere? I mean do real soldiers not have Nightvision when aiming to attack the enemy? I could have sworn at some point this was possible. Was the feature patched out?

Does anyone have any advice on this for night-time ops? I'm making a nighttime mission now and I'm not really sure how to go about it.

There are mods that affect the optics' set config value for "visionMode[]" which is the determining factor if a scope is NV-capable and/or usable together with NVGs/NODs.

Firstly I would try with the bare minimum of mods to get the gun/optic you want along with a pair of NVGs just to make sure you have no mods interfering with this. If this still doesn't work the scope isn't NVG-compatible and you'd have to write a small config patch to enable this.

Small semi-pseudo-example;

class CfgPatches
{
    class i_want_my_damn_night_optics
    {
        requiredAddons[] = {"whatever_mod_you_use"};
        author[] = {"Guy"};
    };
};

class CfgWeapons
{
    class ItemCore;
    class InventoryOpticsItem_Base_F;    

class my_soon_to_be_nvg_capable_scope
    {
        class ItemInfo: InventoryOpticsItem_Base_F
        {
            class OpticsModes
            {
                class my_scopes_OpticsClass
                {
                    visionMode[] = {"Normal", "NVG"};
                };
            };
        };
    };
};

You'd have to check classes and inheritances for your actual scope ofc :)

I'm just wondering if there's any way to use night vision goggles when aiming through a scope. Almost all vanilla and modded scopes don't allow me to use my night vision when aiming so I don't really know how any night vision mission would be possible.

The only one I've found that lets me do this is the Nightstalker but I hate using it because of the auto-zoom when aiming. It feels like cheating because the scope is extremely powerful with tons of settings.

Is this intentional or am I missing a setting somewhere? I mean do real soldiers not have Nightvision when aiming to attack the enemy? I could have sworn at some point this was possible. Was the feature patched out?

Does anyone have any advice on this for night-time ops? I'm making a nighttime mission now and I'm not really sure how to go about it.

I am pretty sure the reason this has been done, as it is realistic. In real life there are only certain rifle optics which are compatible when using Night vision. 

• Like 3

A great scope that has night vision capability is the Leupold Holo from Massi's pack.it is a full sniper scope, which can turn on NV and has a holo red dot on top for close engagements.It's basically perfect :)

Well I guess what I'm asking is...

What would most units do if they were 100% going on a night mission in real life? I'm personally using 3CB Units which I I don't think have an NVG capable scope. But even NATO only has the one Nightstalker.

Don't really feel like using scripts if its a cheat and not realistic. I'm more interested in a realistic way to handle it with the units I use. What do American soldiers/marines and British Army/Royal Marines do on night missions? Even if that means adding an additional weapons pack I'm cool with that.

A great scope that has night vision capability is the Leupold Holo from Massi's pack.it is a full sniper scope, which can turn on NV and has a holo red dot on top for close engagements.It's basically perfect :)

Which pack? UKSF?

EDIT: Ah. I see. His UKSF pack is a reskin which requires his weapons pack.

Which pack? UKSF?

EDIT: Ah. I see. His UKSF pack is a reskin which requires his weapons pack.

That's right-in the weapon pack.

• Like 1

What would most units do if they were 100% going on a night mission in real life? I'm personally using 3CB Units which I I don't think have an NVG capable scope. But even NATO only has the one Nightstalker.

Don't really feel like using scripts if its a cheat and not realistic. I'm more interested in a realistic way to handle it with the units I use. What do American soldiers/marines and British Army/Royal Marines do on night missions? Even if that means adding an additional weapons pack I'm cool with that.

Some Red Dot optics like the Aimpoint T1 (Iansky optics pack) will work with Night Vision Goggles, the other alternative is to use the IR Laser on your rifle for CQB and use a Magnified optic with an illuminated crosshair (like the Elcan SpectreDR, also in the Iansky optics pack) at long range. In real life there are devices that can be clipped in front of magnified optics to make then night vision, but Arma 3 can't do that.

I believe the BW mod has a couple of scopes which can have an NVG adapter fitted to them-which is the more realistic option.

But the way that's done is by making a separate scope with a glued on NVG adapter, which is a different kind of unrealistic.  

That is true. Ah well-i just use the Luepold holo ;) 

What would most units do if they were 100% going on a night mission in real life?

Generally speaking, in the real world, Infantry engagement ranges at night are reduced. In the real world, Night Vision devices for rifles are rare, in well equiped units one per squad. Thermal Imaging is even more rare. The main problem with magnifying optics and NV is the eye relief and the FOV and focus. Even if you can use an Optic, it is still uncomfortable and difficult. In fact, Iron sights are often prefered at night. And dont forget the old technique of Battlefield illumination by Artillery. On a modern battlefield it does have twice an effect, Blind the enemy that is using NVGs and giving the attacker the option to use more precise and better identification using standard Optics. The point is, even in 2035, the main grunt will get to use much less high tech gadgets as we can do in ArmA III simply because the cost of the personal equipment has to be kept at bay.. It would be nice when missions in the game would reflect that in any way.

• Like 7

I really appreciate all the replies guys.

Keeping it "realistic" is making me use more of my brain now, rather than just boringly snipe away with an OP scope (looking at you Nightstalker and Leupold). I just assumed night engagements and NVG's/night optics were 'what was done' during most real life engagements. Interesting to know that it's not! So now I'm altering my strategy (equipping IR Lasers, flashlights, etc with my 3CB units) and having a good time.

• Like 2

I use the NightStalker or TWS optics, they have all sorts of imaging, NV, TI and so on. Used them in the "Into the fog" mission which is a night mission. Not mods, but they might from the Marksman DLC. Surely OP for regular infantry, but then again, I played as  a sniper :)

• Like 1

I use the NightStalker or TWS optics, they have all sorts of imaging, NV, TI and so on. Used them in the "Into the fog" mission which is a night mission. Not mods, but they might from the Marksman DLC. Surely OP for regular infantry, but then again, I played as  a sniper :)

Well the point was he wanted scopes that were not as OP as the nightstalker. He said 

@HeroesandvillainsOS- I suggest you have a look at RHS thread today.They have just announced exactly what you are looking for ;) https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/183435-rhs-escalation-afrf-and-usaf/page-385#entry3012708

• Like 1

I think this was always a feature in ARMA games to add realism for the gameplay. In ARMA 2 you were limited to use to such scoped weapons like DMR or the ones with built-in thermal imaging, like L85 or AS50 TWS.

• Like 1

Blind fhe enemy using that is using NVGs and giving the attacker the option to use more precise and better identification using standard Optics.

120mm Mortar and flaregun illumination shells don't blind NVG users from my own experience. Unless you fire it directly in their face :)

It was patched out a while ago a little bit after 3D optics were added. I'm not sure under which thread on the tracker but there was a length discussion about it.

It was mainly done for realism. IRL You have two options, Firstly and the most common I know if is to mount a Infared Laser to the rifle and zero it to a distance like say 300m (the normal rifle zero), Allowing you wear a night optic on your helmet like a PVS-14 and firing from the hip/low shoulder like here, using the laser as your aiming reference. 

The other option is to mount a regular Night optic on the rifle either behind a compatible optic on a specially made mount or in front of a optic where it may not be compatible like a scope

Trying to use a rifle optic with a pair of what are basically binoculars strapped to your face becomes rather frustrating and almost impossible to shoot accurately.

Hope that cleared it up for you. 

• Like 3