metalcraze

New lighting for CUP terrains

Wtg man! Looks really good. Thanks for adding my islands to the mix.

• Like 1

any chance of you linking up with fabio chavez, who made teh lighting tweaks for cherno for AiA/CUP?

i'm wondering right now. did you just copy over stratis/altis lighting settings (general stuff not related to the recent update)? i'm wondering if a combination fo what you did and the current stuff in CUP would result in a great looking cherno with new features.

It's mostly just copy paste of configs yes, but I'm already tweaking the lighting to make Chernarus and similar to appear more desaturated as well as water to have a greener look.

Alas CUP stuff is mostly incompatible with configs of 1.59 update.

It's mostly just copy paste of configs yes, but I'm already tweaking the lighting to make Chernarus and similar to appear more desaturated as well as water to have a greener look.

:wub:

that's great to hear! would suck to be stuck with that candyland look for as long as in alpha.

Alas CUP stuff is mostly incompatible with configs of 1.59 update.

As long as any Czech based map gives me the vibe of real Czech republic, im good 

(Chernarus, Utes, and all ACR maps)

bohemia.jpg

• Like 1

Definitly not. Mixing PBOs from different AddOns in the same folder is a very bad practise. Always have such stuff loaded from different folders.

A big share of bug reports and complains we receive are because people just copy pbos around.

@metalcraze

When you have joined our Discord, drop me a message please ;)

May I ask why loading mixed Pbos from the same folder is bad practice? Never heard of such thing

May I ask why loading mixed Pbos from the same folder is bad practice? Never heard of such thing

Because in 6 months time he will have forgotten he dropped it in there. What generally follows is a bug report as he wonders why the latest update doesn't have the same effect for him as everybody else (which wastes everybody's time, particularly the mod's developers').

• Like 3

Because in 6 months time he will have forgotten he dropped it in there. What generally follows is a bug report as he wonders why the latest update doesn't have the same effect for him as everybody else (which wastes everybody's time, particularly the mod's developers').

Ahh ok, I thought it might have had something to do with performance or load order etc... That clears that up haha

Absolutly right. Best example "All single launchers in CUP doesn't work!" "Do you have the ACE compatibility fix running without ACE?" "No, I didn't use ACE since a few month" "Did you have the ACE compatibility PBO in your @CUP_Weapons folder?" "Oh, yes, I have...".

(Happend me just a few days pack, because I sometime packed the ACE compat with the wrong target folder in AddonBuilder and forgot to delete it)

• Like 1

OK trying to give Chernarus a less oversaturated, less contrasted look:

default: http://i.imgur.com/fO9Rljz.jpg

current wip: http://i.imgur.com/qyqGnrH.jpg

default: http://i.imgur.com/GzSy1A9.jpg

current wip: http://i.imgur.com/XcMe4Cd.jpg

Yeah changes are subtle but hopefully it makes it look more realistic

• Like 1

LoL the WIP screens gave me A2 PTSD...  :lol:  

The gas station shot light looks like it's straight outta A2.

+1 for getting this built into CUP Terrains

SJ

• Like 1

Looks nice! Are you planning on including this for Hazar-Kot as well? ;) (a rather more cold lighting than takistan etc. would probably suit it nicely)

LoL the WIP screens gave me A2 PTSD...  :lol:

The gas station shot light looks like it's straight outta A2.

Chernarus in early days of arma2, nice distance coloring, realistic overall look: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/72410-arma-ii-oa-photography-i-no-images-over-100kb-pictures-only-no-comments/?p=1293787

So you have to go again a big step back :D

I think its not easy to adapt the new visuals to chernarus because they fits more caribic/southern conditions.

As long as any Czech based map gives me the vibe of real Czech republic, im good 

(Chernarus, Utes, and all ACR maps)

bohemia.jpg

I was there!!! :D

OK trying to give Chernarus a less oversaturated, less contrasted look:

default: http://i.imgur.com/fO9Rljz.jpg

current wip: http://i.imgur.com/qyqGnrH.jpg

default: http://i.imgur.com/GzSy1A9.jpg

current wip: http://i.imgur.com/XcMe4Cd.jpg

Yeah changes are subtle but hopefully it makes it look more realistic

i actually found good settings with the new contrast and saturation sliders so subtle is totally fine. biggest thing is those yellow and orange trees.

does anyone know if it's possible to use the reflection feature from the ocean shader for the ponds? that would be the cherry on top.

i actually found good settings with the new contrast and saturation sliders so subtle is totally fine. biggest thing is those yellow and orange trees.

does anyone know if it's possible to use the reflection feature from the ocean shader for the ponds? that would be the cherry on top.

I just checked it out - ponds actually have some sort of reflection now when near 'em... WOW

I tried this out with the dev branch and it makes night look WAY TOO DARK. The contrast produces crushed blacks. Meaning it is just black. Almost no variation in darkness.

When I load up CUP and not this mod with 1.59, it looks fairly decent already. I have not tested all maps but Cherno, TV5 at night looks way better without this mod.

I also noticed 1.59 crushes glowsticks heavily. Use ACE3, attach to yourself and compare back to 1.56. The lighting at night looks more realistic.

CUP loaded without this mod just has the default pre 1.59 ArmA3 lighting. Nights being too dark is an issue with how new HDR settings are being handled by the engine atm, you will experience the same on Stratis and Altis with zero mods loaded.

Until BIS finds a way to tone down contrast during the nighttime there's little I can do apart from toning down overall contrast in HDR settings - but in turn that will hurt day settings too, making day look way more flat than it should.

Do remember that all of it is WIP atm and most likely will get better by the time 1.60 is out.

Looks nice! Are you planning on including this for Hazar-Kot as well? ;) (a rather more cold lighting than takistan etc. would probably suit it nicely)

First I will try to find good balanced settings for CUP european maps (Cherna & Co) and desert maps (Takistan & Co) so hopefully they will suit CUP well. I'm sure that BIS will update the lighting settings multiple times before finalizing them - so everything else may end up being a waste of time until 1.60 (or whenever Apex is out)

But sure, I like your maps a lot, so maybe afterwards I will toy some more with their respective settings

Update 1.02 (29/04/2016)

- changed to per-island lighting config:
    should avoid compatibility issues with most non-CUP islands, they should use vanilla/their own lighting now
- slightly tweaked HDR parameters for darker tones (hopefully better shadows/less whiteness now)
- added NVG fix from latest dev-branch HDR settings

Comparison shots for those HDR tweaks:

Chernarus: vanilla / current

Zargabad: vanilla / current

Important:

Because of change to per-island configs previously supported islands revert back to their own lighting settings (if any) - so decide for yourself if you want to experiment with this version

(the reason is to avoid changing main island 'CAWorld' class much, which most islands - including those made by community - are dependent on. This caused too many conflicts atm)

• Like 2

This update caused a bad visual bug on some maps during daylight, the maps listed below are ones i have found. also namalsk seems to have no sky no matter the overcast setting, And Rura penthe is bugged with clouds and such

A3 maps:

Winter Chernarus

Napf Winter A3

A2 maps:

Clafghan

Razoreniya

30FA041689C8D2A9D618D49940243877BA0C87B6