bis_iceman

Visual Upgrade – Feedback

you need to realize that the flares are signaling flares not illumination flares (at least that was the explanation given to me about theirs lighting config)

Right now the 40mm Flare round performs like a 12GA flare gun round which is false - btw original A3 had the military flare pistol and that later cut from the game ;)

military use star parachute round for their 40mm launchers and these are much stronger than regular 12GA flare rounds

• Like 1

you need to realize that the flares are signaling flares not illumination flares (at least that was the explanation given to me about theirs lighting config)

Since when do signaling flares have parachutes?

There have been no signaling flares in game as long as I can remember, in A2 the M203 flares illuminated the night sky and had a parachute.

In A3 all of a sudden these are supposed to be signaling flares? I doubt that this is intended. They barely gave off any illumination since early alpha days, this has never been fixed.

Now with the new visual upgrade they give off almost zero illumination.

The starter pistol rounds which are supposed to be signal flares give off way more illumination without being illumination rounds in the first place.

Even the simulation class in the configfile >> "CfgAmmo" >> "F_40mm_White" >> "simulation" says: simulation = "shotIlluminating".

Claiming they're just signaling flares all of a sudden sounds like an easy way out.

Please fix this.

Cheers

• Like 6

Right now the 40mm Flare round performs like a 12GA flare gun round which is false - btw original A3 had the military flare pistol and that later cut from the game ;)

military use star parachute round for their 40mm launchers and these are much stronger than regular 12GA flare rounds

Even the 26.5mm flare rounds light up the terrain pretty well in a 500m circle. burnign time 40 seconds with chute and 30.000 candela.

Let's pictures talk: 

ArmA II Chernarus full moon night:

F88FA07632FDEBF00299E34489866B5A23127DB1

ArmA III Apex Tanoa full Moon night:

93AF6361E19C88C5CD307288EE0185CB3547CCBA

• Like 6

The absence of colors truly makes a difference.

Full moon nights on Tanoa, Altis and Stratis look like it's just brightness and gamma turned down, colors are still there.

Cheers

Flares and flashlight are much better now.

But laser pointer and IR grenade are still broken.

In my opinion its better

Let's pictures talk: 

ArmA II Chernarus full moon night:

ArmA III Apex Tanoa full Moon night:

Can i make a shot of what i see at full moon/ without clouds? Tanoa is much better.

The absence of colors truly makes a difference.

Full moon nights on Tanoa, Altis and Stratis look like it's just brightness and gamma turned down, colors are still there.

Cheers

I don't know about you, but every moonlit night I've observed over my 50+ years there has been colour of some degree, they just reflect less light and are more subdued, but they're never black and white, the human eye doesn't work in monochrome. This is Fiji, real Fiji, looks pretty close to that Tanoa screenshot I'd say.

f734de6248434184c4ca449795dc4874

Not that topic again:

We don't need camera eye realism in the game but Human eye realism. With moonlight only the first you loose is cone perception, red perception, then green perception and the last is blue perception. What is left is rod perception ad thats dark or bright only. Moonlight has onylö 12% of sunlight intensity that's often not enough for color vision. Hence the term "In pale Moonlight".

Everyone knows the effect, thats why it was in the ArmA series till 1.60.

• Like 6

We don't need camera eye realism in the game but Human eye realism.

The human eye doesn't see in Black and white, like the picture of Chernarus, that looks nothing like what the human eye, or a camera see's, or real life really.

The human eye adjusts to the exposure of ambient light, hence why your vision improves at night after a period of time, no game out there replicates this effect, which is a shame.

It also depends on the type of moon as well, as the moon's strength increases the closer it is to earth, hence why some moonlit nights are spectacular and some are dull.

I don't know why you start the response by saying "Not that topic again" when you were the one who actually posted the screenshots, which one looks more realistic than the other and you know which one, and dismiss it as it's camera realism, and not eye realism, which is more or less the same in a game.

• Like 1

I dont know what ypou see but the chernarus screen is not black and white...is is green-blue mainly with absence of red-yellow.

you don't see the red spectrum at night with only natural light sources.

This is simply just not what it looks like at 2:00am:

F117111D594B0434B271DABB27540C931C4C30ED

Is is undisputable that ArmA II was not perfect but it at least did somethign about night sight.

another problem herby that the screenshot cant capture is ingame gamma and brightnes that can be set in a way to make the picture liek daylight

Last post for today: this is what you can do with the ArmA III post FX settings:

877872F9966C3E975848CAEE1F11628535142C45

and this is what I would exspect a night to look like:

5FC3188D5926FC7F6CEA155D2F8668868E2AAFE4

• Like 5

I dont know what ypou see but the chernarus screen is not black and white...is is green-blue mainly with absence of red-yellow.

F117111D594B0434B271DABB27540C931C4C30ED

Is is undisputable that ArmA II was not perfect but it at least did somethign about night sight.

another problem herby that the screenshot cant capture is ingame gamma and brightnes that can be set in a way to make the picture liek daylight

So night vision is just for what now?

You've highlighted the issue perfectly, everyone sees color perspective differently Beagle, you say you can see colour in the Chernarus, I don't, to me personally it looks more black and white, but you see a greenish blue.

A lot of stuff in games comes down to personal taste, case in point, your night time Chernarus shot to me isn't realistic at all, in many different ways, but the Tanoa one is, which one is more accurate? despite the real picture I posted, you prefer the Chernarus one. 

What do any game developers try to base their days and nights on? realism or a "gamey" look ?

I agree with you on a few points, though, but you cannot really say the Chernarus picture looks more realistic, even the stars are too bright for starters, they look fake.

There needs to be a balance between the two.

Road runner, your picture example is worthless. That's an highly over exposed photo. You never see colors like that in real life.

He means the Arma 2 picture which is pretty awful looking.

Oh wait the lower one was Tanoa. Well the Chernarus is just bad looking black and white. I'll rather take the lower one with its problems.

• Like 1

Can we at least agree that we see less color in the night than day? Because this is biological fact and the game should reflect this.

What I want to point out is that you can use gamma and brightnes to obtain superior full colour night vision without a NV device in Apex.

The remaining full colour vision is just the icing on top of the whole issue.

Btw have a very bright and very vibrant coloured ASUS screen...right now im using an old Samsung screen and neither color nor brightness are close to what i see at home.

• Like 1

Oh yeah? So your mortars fire signaling flares? Does that sound even logical to you? This is just a poor excuse for something you guys can fix in a second in a config tweak.

Even if it were true that ALL flares in Arma 3 were designed to be signaling flares (it's not) we have very little gameplay need for that. Think of all the cool scenarios that can use illumination rounds that are now gone because of this.

If this is by design after all, please have a designer look at it and issue a small design change that will make a lot of users happy.

Seriously, false excuses like that just makes me sad.

• Like 13

Road runner, your picture example is worthless. That's an highly over exposed photo. You never see colors like that in real life.

stand outside long enough on a moonlit night, and you'll see it's closer to the photo, than it is to the Chernarus picture ;)

Can we at least agree that we see less color in the night than day? Because this is biological fact and the game should reflect this.

which is exactly what I said in post #1007

Oh yeah? So your mortars fire signaling flares? Does that sound even logical to you? This is just a poor excuse for something you guys can fix in a second in a config tweak.

Even if it were true that ALL flares in Arma 3 were designed to be signaling flares (it's not) we have very little gameplay need for that. Think of all the cool scenarios that can use illumination rounds that are now gone because of this.

If this is by design after all, please have a designer look at it and issue a small design change that will make a lot of users happy.

Seriously, false excuses like that just makes me sad.

* Removed: The sun (to save performance on lighting and shadow render)

:D

• Like 2