oukej

Targeting improvements

Yes, sort-of CCRP should be possible to do even now just with the "lock" symbology and some designation. It may not be the best for CCRP - there you'd usually need to see how far and how misaligned you're from the release point - but it should be possible. There are no plans to do CCRP more properly now.

A something like simple CCIP, a pipper or death dot is a different story. It's something you can better utilize for a whole range of weapons (and maybe not only aerial) - from guns and rockets to bombs (simulated lift/drag and gliding makes it all more complicated).

Edited by oukej
ninja'd
  • Like 2

Ok. Thanks to all for the infos.

If you can get a CCIP pipper in the game, which calculates / compensates for bomb lift/drag/gliding, that would be super awesome. "Proper" CCRP seems almost too much compared to the degree of other aspects of fixed wing simulation. So CCIP would be fine for me, i guess :)

+1. CCRP would be the cherry on top, but as oukej says the current implementation is kinda "fine" for that. (ok, not really .... it's a pretty thinly implemented in-between solution but it's not totally and absolutely horrible and it would only really affect a really thin slice of the armament pie ;D)

I'm quite happy with the fact that BI focuses on a framework for CCIP so we could get armed both fixed and rotary aircraft into the 90's atleast :)

• Like 1

Brilliant update.

complexity and depth enrich the core game and offer players more options in how they play the game.

Hopefully such actions are just a glimpse as to what is to come when it comes to depth and complexity in gameplay.

Excellent news ! Love it !

Can I ask if you guys plan to update the radar along with the HUD and targeting improvements ?

One suggestion would be to simply differentiate between laser, NV and IR targets (all three are squares for now, could be a good thing to set lasers to display as circles and NV targets as diamonds, for example).

Also, a more dynamic config value for specific vehicles could be a very welcome addition as the radar will the get more closely to some kind of RWR :

db4plGw.png

Basic vehicles can still be indicated by squares (something like radarIcon = "A3/data/square.paa"), while specific vehicles can have their own icon like in the image above (29 indicates there's a Mig-29, the chevron above indicates it's airborne, diamond - primary threat, half-circle above - new target).

For example, Tigris and Cheetah could have their own symbols on the radar, to help pilots understand this is not a simple vehicle, it's a dangerous AA system, and they better avoid flying close to it.

Here's some more references in case you're curious (comes from Lock On flight manual, full version here ):

Capture.PNG

In any case, nice job so far, keep up the good work :)

• Like 1

Is there any plans to add the much needed Camera lock? I have to continuously scroll to keep my box on the target, which hinders flying dramatically. If i could just locate, and lock the target, it would help out a ton.  Much like how the drones camera's can do.

• Like 1

Is there any plans to add the much needed Camera lock? I have to continuously scroll to keep my box on the target, which hinders flying dramatically. If i could just locate, and lock the target, it would help out a ton.  Much like how the drones camera's can do.

I also hope for automatically inherited camera locks, for instance when you lock on a laserpainted target or with radar/infrared guided missiles in the cockpit.

• Like 3

For example, Tigris and Cheetah could have their own symbols on the radar, to help pilots understand this is not a simple vehicle, it's a dangerous AA system, and they better avoid flying close to it.

The problem we'd face is universality - unlike DCS we can't count on a finite amount of assets or a specific given setting. How would a tyranosaurus look like on the radar? Should modders be able to define how the asset is represented on the radar?

• Like 3

I really hope for camera lock as well  I think it's really important!!

• Like 1

The problem we'd face is universality - unlike DCS we can't count on a finite amount of assets or a specific given setting. How would a tyranosaurus look like on the radar? Should modders be able to define how the asset is represented on the radar?

Why not :) this is already a thing with pictures on the HUD and icons on the map, so why not radar icons too (default or undefined value could still be the good ol' square but if the modder wants something else, he can do it). I'm not aware if it would be performance-costly or very readable on a small radar display, but as long it's more flexible than just squares and triangles, it would definitely be more useful than now. At least specific icons for different types of targets (IR,Laser,NV) would already be more readable.

Now that you mentioned it, totally expecting an Easter egg T-Rex on Tanoa ! xD

I think it would be sufficient to sort by classes. Fixed wing, rotary wing, tracked vehicle, car or something. If a target doesn't fit the criteria it could just be generic target (not identified exactly). So the tanoa-saurus would just be a generic box (for example) without specific marker.

To be honest though, i don't think that these smybols are of high priority. I think if the ui-designers would improve the text font to make it look better with the fine line interface, a box on the HUD with some kind of text/code/abbreviations would be sufficient (similar to what we have now, but with better matching font).

Like i said before, it would be more critical for gameplay, that sensors don't magically know the exact type of target (that should take some time each time target has lost LOS or something) also, as mentioned before, there should be no difference between enemy and neutral target. (only diffreence to friendly if equipped with IFF)

Giving the future scenario of arma, perhaps microwave scanners could also somehow detect if enemy or neutral/destroyed, but for gameplay purpose this should take some amount of time, while being locked onto the target. The current complete friend/foe/neutral 360° awareness is just gamebreaking, because aircrafts performance is only limited by number of guided missiles it carries (taget, lock, fire, repeat till empty, fly home).

This used to be true for showAllTargets and canLock in cfgWeapons, but has been removed in 1.58. Having the same element dependent both on vehicle config and difficulty in all combinations can be a bit messy. Is it then just a 'helper', an 'aid' or is it 'part of the game'?

i dont care about the "1" option really. All i care about is that this feature can be switched off forever on a config level for specific vehicles that can not have this technology in any way (WW2 mod tanks for example).

The difference between "1" (enabled if difficulty option is ticked) and "2" (always enabled) is that you can differentiate between a vehicle that actually has this kind of technology and a vehicle that does not have this technology but for ease-of-use from a gameplay perspective can use it.

Locking on infantry targets with mainguns in A2 was such an example.

With dedicated actions it's also difficult - we already have too many keybinds

a gameplay option (only affects the player) could also serve that purpose instead,  for people who do not want to see it.

As mentioned above, it would be simple if it were based on classes so that you don't have to make any icons outside of particular unit types, the most unique being radar equipped.

http://mechmodels.com/mas/downloads/ah64v2/manual/graphics/page_tsdatk.png

Here is a visual example, the square is generic/unknown, the H is a tracked vehicle, triangle is air defense, circle is wheeled, hourglass is helicopter, and this not displayed icon http://mechmodels.com/mas/downloads/ah64v2/manual/graphics/f16_rsc_fcr_ac.pngis fixed wing.

There is even an extension with a yellow diamond drawn around the currently targetted vehicle.  Here is an example of the system at work (eyes on the right cockpit screen)  https://youtu.be/DuWi8RTArcY?t=220

• Like 1

DATA
  • Added: New icons for vehicle radars (laser-designated and Night-Vision targets)

Can anyone explain, what is meant by "night vision targets"? :confused: Thank you! :)

As far as I understand, you can lock guided weapons using multiple target types. IR relate to vehicles, laser to... lasers and NV to IR grenades (special grenades with blinking IR lights).

More info on this very good review

Can't wait to try it out, thanks Oukej !

Ok. Thanks for the info.

I'm just wodnering what type of weapon would lock on to a flashing IR-beacon in real life?

I always thought of these "IR grenades" to be more of a tool for coordination and a visual only marker for friendly positions, landing-zones etc...

(normally one wouldn't want an airstrike on a positions which is in reach of a grenade throw, i guess)

One suggestion would be to simply differentiate between laser, NV and IR targets (all three are squares for now, could be a good thing to set lasers to display as circles and NV targets as diamonds, for example).

Added: New icons for vehicle radars (laser-designated and Night-Vision targets)

IuGi7YQ.jpg

Lasers are indicated as a "star" with full circle, NV targets as a "star" with empty circle in the middle.

As far as I understand, you can lock guided weapons using multiple target types. IR relate to vehicles, laser to... lasers and NV to IR grenades (special grenades with blinking IR lights).

More info on this very good review

Exactly that.

Also about the wiki page - it's a very good source for configuration of (not only) smart weapons and systems. Reminds me that I should start updating it ;)

I'm just wodnering what type of weapon would lock on to a flashing IR-beacon in real life?

I always thought of these "IR grenades" to be more of a tool for coordination and a visual only marker for friendly positions, landing-zones etc...

(normally one wouldn't want an airstrike on a positions which is in reach of a grenade throw, i guess)

You're right about that. They'd have a similar use to smoke grenades during daylight. Actually in ACE3 you can attach them to your character for that purpose.

When you can paint the target from the distance why bother coming closer, true. On the other hand it's a nice thing to have some 'homing beacon' for personal black-ops delivery  :ph34r:

Maybe you want to be long gone when the actual strike happens, not even painting the target from a distance. It could be a radio beacon IRL but the purpose stays the same :)

And that purpose can be quite entertaining ;)

• Like 3

I would smooch you right now, this looks fantastic ! (yes I'm excited, it's been squares since 2006 !)

Is this hardcoded though ? In other words, does a modder have the ability to change the image per type of class ? I unfortunately didn't see any changes in LaserTarget class so, did I miss a parameter ?

Is this hardcoded though ? In other words, does a modder have the ability to change the image per type of class ? I unfortunately didn't see any changes in LaserTarget class so, did I miss a parameter ?

Yes and no. You can change the icons globally (under CfgInGameUI >> TacticalDisplay; properties targetTexture and targetTextureAir + the new ones that are targetLaserTexture and targetNVTexture).

Brilliant, thats pretty much all a new radar would need visually...though one suggestion if I may. 
Certian colors would blend or be lost against similar backgrounds (green and red stick clearly visible but orange blends) would it be possible to add a black outline around the outter edges to make the icons more visible in all environments?

• Like 2

rev  135665

- "Lock UAV Turret" action (default LCtrl + T) now locks camera on position / target (if target is markable)

- Num1-9 now also controls camera (num5 will return it to default direction)

• Like 5

rev  135665

- "Lock UAV Turret" action (default LCtrl + T) now locks camera on position / target (if target is markable)

- Num1-9 now also controls camera (num5 will return it to default direction)

Just perfect!

The only thing I still would like to see is that lased/NV targets locked on via the cockpit/HUD/helmet/whatever are automatically inherited and thus locked on by the target pod so you can follow the bomb without having to find the target again through the target pod.

• Like 1

Just perfect!

The only thing I still would like to see is that lased/NV targets locked on via the cockpit/HUD/helmet/whatever are automatically inherited and thus locked on by the target pod so you can follow the bomb without having to find the target again through the target pod.

Well that and the ability for aircraft to lase as well if equipped with a designator.

Brilliant work Bohemia, brilliant.

Do I need to have a copilot to lase a target or can I do it in the A-10 just through the targeting pod? 

Thanks!