Kydoimos

Arma 3 : Underground

5She58e.png

Hi there, all!

As I draw nearer to concluding work on Resist, I have decided to release a small addon which I hope might be of use to mission / map makers.

Generally, I wasn't completely satisfied with the sewer scene in Approaching Thunder and, after having progressed a little way with 3D modelling (I've still got some way to go!), I opted to create a sewer system from scratch. Now, before going any further, I should address a couple of caveats. First and foremost, the sewer system is not actually underground (though could be, as far as any ambitious map makers are concerned). The idea then, is that a player could enter the sewer via a surface model with an addAction. By means of a fade out / fade in, and some accompanying sound effects, the player could then be teleported to the main sewer network. This leads me to my next important point; to maintain the illusion of being in a subterranean setting, a time shift will be needed (unless you want a fairly well lit sewer system). Items such as the player's watch (and possibly map, if the player is not directly above their real-world location), would also need to be disabled with the relevant commands. If you desire to have a firefight in the sewer, and there is a possibility of the player being killed, an eventHandler would also need to be assigned, to avoid the revolving camera at point of death, thus exposing our sewer as a false environment. On a final note, though there are ladders, they are only for show; I can make it so they can be climbed, but seeing as you will not be underground - where are you going to go? That said, if any terrain designers want to augment this feature, I can edit the p3d files. So, on to the good news!

The sewer models themselves are in sections and will therefore enable custom compositions. They can be connected extremely easily in the new Eden editor and include a few hiddenSelections. Moreover, they have all the expected LODs defined; so, that means that shadows, penetration effects, surface sounds, and interior weapon tails will all work accordingly. A.I. too, will be able to navigate your creations. In time, I plan to add new rooms (thematically linked to the FIA), but they'll only appear when needed for associated work. The other component I would like to implement is water; however, this can be achieved by partially submerging the models at sea.

At its worst, this undertaking will turn out to be a curiosity of limited praticality - at its best, it might provide a stepping stone to taking combat in Arma 3 to (literally!) another level.

Progress

• Manhole (complete)
  • Sewer Section V1 (complete)
  • Sewer Section V2 (complete)
  • Sewer Section V3 (complete)
  • Sewer End V1 (complete)
  • Sewer End V2 (complete)
  • Sewer End V3 (complete)
  • Sewer Junction (complete)
  • Sewer Room (pending)
  • Sewer Room (FIA) (pending)
  • Sewer Door (pending)
  • Faux Sky (Emissive Plane) (Pending)

Screenshots

A selection of in-game WIP screenshots, which may get replaced or be liable to change. Apologies if they're a little dark!

l7Uh8LM.png

Detail : Sewer Junction

Y7aUENy.png

Detail : Sewer End V1

MblIEyA.png

Detail : Sewer End V1

trTmTTH.png

Fighters in the Shadows

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding.... amazing stuff Kydoimos

A.I. too, will be able to navigate your creations.

This is just fucking awesome.

Super impressive work mate!

• Like 1

looking great man! hope to see more pictures or maybe even a video to get a better look. keep it up!

SPOT ON BRUV

CHEERIO GUV

This is gonna be narly!

Great idea, could be really interesting in some scenarios or PvP game modes !  :P

Would it be possible to create something like a completely black sphere in Arma ? ..means an object ( a cube for example) with no collision etc that ist completely black. If for example your sewers would be placed inside such a sphere it should be completely dark inside ...I remember this worked back when I was modding TES games ...don't have a clou if it is possible in Arma though :) 

beside this, map makers would also need something to cover the sewers ...maybe create some flat surfaces having different ground textures on top  If then further covered with plants, rocks and structures it should work and look nicely....

just some thougts ...keep it up

Note to myself :

Next mission : F3llout, a Fallout remake on Arma3 using Arma Underground.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Something else that comes to mind, is making complete sewer maps. This would solve the problem with the lighting and the ingame map. Maybe someone has played TES Oblivion and remembers the sewer systems under the Imperial City...this here could work the same way :)

Would it be possible to create something like a completely black sphere in Arma ? ..means an object ( a cube for example) with no collision etc that ist completely black. If for example your sewers would be placed inside such a sphere it should be completely dark inside ...I remember this worked back when I was modding TES games ...don't have a clou if it is possible in Arma though :)

beside this, map makers would also need something to cover the sewers ...maybe create some flat surfaces having different ground textures on top  If then further covered with plants, rocks and structures it should work and look nicely....

just some thougts ...keep it up

I would make a road piece and make the sewer under the road. Would be realistic as well, sewers are usaly under roads irl too,

Wow-you really are a wizard with making arma amazing mate. I was very impressed with the sewer stuff in Resist-this is fantastic.

• Like 1

Wow! Looks great!

Maybe when its done, it could open to more possibilities, like a bit of tweaking that could lead to a caves mod?

I'm amazed you still haven't been hired by BI yet.

• Like 1

awesome idea , be cool to have underground bases , missile silos , maybe could do a cheyanne mountain - norad command - stargate sg1 type base - exciting possibilities )

• Like 2

I really can't wait to play in this! It looks so atmospheric and claustrophobic! It's great!

• Like 1

they look fantastic and would add atmosphere to any map/mission. One thing hidden selections dont work for map makers who want to Binarize the objects onto a map.

I think you can escape all that trouble with spawning sewer of the map etc. Is it possible for map makers to make holes in the ground like tunnels? and then just place your model in and voila no glitching trough the ground and you have sewer.  if you make a hatch which can can be connected with road up on top.  I am not map maker so idk limitations of the editor. 

I think you can escape all that trouble with spawning sewer of the map etc. Is it possible for map makers to make holes in the ground like tunnels? and then just place your model in and voila no glitching trough the ground and you have sewer.  if you make a hatch which can can be connected with road up on top.  I am not map maker so idk limitations of the editor.

Hiya mate; in essence you are correct - but there are a few issues. The first would be occluding daylight and obtaining full darkness - though a time switch trigger could achieve this (in SP, anyhow!). The other problem, on the map making side of things, is that though you could dig a trench to place the sewer in, you would need a canopy to 'fill' it in. I suppose, in theory, this could be done with another object, but it'd be hard to be create a seamless and believeable ground overlay - I think. I'm not a map maker myself, so I could indeed be wrong! :D

One thing hidden selections dont work for map makers who want to Binarize the objects onto a map.

Ah, this is a shame - didn't realise that! Though, the hiddenSelections is only on the brickwork, so, I suppose it's not the end of the world for map makers! :P

• Like 1

Well done pal. Looks like your modelling skills are coming along in leaps and bounds. Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

• Like 5

@Pomigit - thanks so much for your kind words, mate! :D I know I've still got a long way to go though, but I'm humbled. I'll certainly keep at it! You boys at BHI and RHS have really set the bar for standards - so I've got a lot of work to do!  :P

• Like 2

Very impressive! Good job ;)