dnlhaditha_zpsnctgmpxo.jpg

Size: 5120x5120

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a "small" terrain based on the city of Haditha (Al-Anbar Governorate, Iraq), which is situated next to the Euphrates river.

It features real (?) elevation data and satellite imagery, a little portion of the Euphrates river, various small villages and the city centre.

Haditha is currently very wip and I don't know when it'll be finished, but I surely know that it will, somehow.

I'm trying to make this terrain as realistic as possible and, possibly, decent enough to be hosted on the holy site of Armaholic so... feel free to criticize my work, suggestions are always welcomed.

- I would like to thank mr. Delta Hawk for his magnificent, classic units that inspire me a lot and keep me constantly focused on Iraq related stuff.

P.S.

This discussion is wip too so better pics and information will be posted in the future... stay focused.

20160320234141_1_zps49cmhxkq.jpg

20160320234148_1_zpsfe5xrf6p.jpg

20160320234406_1_zps2nti5fjl.jpg

20160320235112_1_zpsf7wt8mjc.jpg

20160320234415_1_zpseyzbue8u.jpg

20160320234318_1_zpsptsfbmhc.jpg

20160320234222_1_zpsklaxihlx.jpg

These were the only pictures available.

• Like 7

Looks good-can't wait to see how it turns out :)

• Like 1

(•_•) Welcome  ( •_•)>âŒâ– -â–    to the WERV   (âŒâ– _â– )  Keep one in the pipe and your head on a swivel Devil.

• Like 1

Will there be a battle for it? :P

• Like 1

Thank you all for the compliments and support, I'll post updates as soon as possible (I'm making some of the roads right now).

Will there be a battle for it? :P

Maybe, but I've already battled enough with Haditha's problematic heightmap, so i don't really know how much more pain I'll be able to handle.

I just thank God and BIS everyday because using Terrain Builder is a lot less masochistic than struggling and suffering several hours in the realms of Visitor 3...

Hi. How is it going with this map? :)

Best regards DonbassCZ

The development of this terrain slowed down after the known lighting update, due to some serious aesthetic issues regarding the SatMap, terrain textures and overall look of the map itself (and because of some real life issues).

I tried to fix the abovementioned issues but, unfortunately, I failed miserably at every attempt... Besides that, I fixed some height issues about the river and the land around it, but it's still being worked on due to some strange loss of some project data. Also, the placement of roads and paths is almost finished.

I currently have to fix those tremendous lighting issues before proceeding with the development, because now the terrain is cancerous to look at.

In order to acknowledge and analyze the concepts and characteristics of the new lighting system, I started a new terrain based on an area of approximately 5x5 km near Mazar I Sharif (Afghanistan) to know what I should've done in order to make a terrain look homogeneous and good.

I'm pretty satisfied about it, because the surface, the terrain itself looks pretty good, but there's still some work to be done.

Finally, once the other terrain I'm working on is finished and I acknowledge what to do on Haditha to make the terrain look good again, I'll be back on the project.

Haditha will feature the new, amazing OPX buildings, but I won't release anything until Fallujah (by the highly skilled RebelMan) gets released.

Why? Because I consider that terrain to be heir of Opteryx's deceased (hopefully not) Al Kut project due to the same blood type (buildings), and therefore I'm not comfortable with releasing stuff with those magnificent buildings in it before the righteous son is born... If that makes sense.

It won't happen due to the lighting problems though.

As I said before, the development will be slow, but the project is not cancelled.

• Like 5

6 years, I bet its safe to say this is discontinued. Would've been nice, had a few missions in mind based off my tour in Haditha in '07.

12 hours ago, Radroach said:

6 years, I bet its safe to say this is discontinued. Would've been nice, had a few missions in mind based off my tour in Haditha in '07.

Hey, do you have much pictures from Iraq? I'm always looking for reference material.

On 8/5/2022 at 5:35 PM, Radroach said:

Although I went through a long hiatus from map making due to several real-life events, and certain problems that had unfortunately surfaced during the terrain building process, I've started to slowly resume the project a few months ago by fixing the DEM issue and thinking about possible changes. Even if I cannot give a precise release date, I do intend to continue this project.