The Tasks Overhaul system (also known as the scripted Tasks Enhancements) has been dev-branched on the Steam.

bfQfnK8m.jpg?1 pmjWEjcm.jpg

BASIC FEATURES

• UI / UX improvements of the existing Tasks Framework
  • possibility to define a type of the task (a custom task type can be defined)
  • multiple tasks visible in the 3D view
  • possibility to define a custom data in the task (Shared Objectives by default)
  • enhanced interaction with tasks icons on the map (assign / unassign task)

PLANS

• interaction with tasks in 3D view
  • utilizing Task Overview screen for another various information
  • fixes

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
- zozo

• Like 10

The Tasks Overhaul system (also known as the scripted Tasks Enhancements) has been dev-branched on the Steam.

BASIC FEATURES

• UI / UX improvements of the existing Tasks Framework
  • possibility to define a type of the task (a custom task type can be defined)
  • multiple tasks visible in the 3D view
  • possibility to define a custom data in the task (Shared Objectives by default)
  • enhanced interaction with tasks icons on the map (assign / unassign task)

PLANS

• interaction with tasks in 3D view
  • utilizing Task Overview screen for another various information
  • fixes

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

- zozo

zozo, just to confirm the highlighted dot point; does this mean that Task Enhancement changes will come to the Create/Modify task modules that exist currently in the editor/Eden?

If so, yay!!

(hopefully it's okay to post feedback here)

IMO the whole visual thing needs to be a bit more subtle. I don't really know how to explain it, but it just sticks out too much...

Also, why are unassigned tasks shown on the HUD? (while not in the map, that is).

On a positive note, knowing what type each task is when opening the journal is really useful. 

Edited by cx64

While this system greatly benefits in sp environment (sp campaign) and specific mp mode (end game mp mode)

I feel like is not broad enough to be used more.

Then I got an idea: If we could freely move task in our map, that would greatly improve multiplayer experience.

This goes back to BF2 anyone remember game being touted for extremely well organized team based shooter.

Well part of it goes to ability of squad leader to place go to mark for squad mates.

If that would be extended to the task, it would be kinda amazing if we could set markers and work between squads.

This would benefit in public server situation the most.

Congratulation on implementation in engine

Question from the perspective of a mission creator: Do I have to update all of my missions to make the tasks work (again)? I've tested some of my last ones and I've noticed that tasks aren't showing up anymore.

HI,

looks nice  :)

I'm getting a lot of this in report file for existing missions:

20:25:54 Error in expression <if (_global) then
{
[_id,_notification] remoteExecCall ["BIS_fnc_setTaskLocal",_>
20:25:54   Error position: <remoteExecCall ["BIS_fnc_setTaskLocal",_>
20:25:54   Error Type Bool, expected Number, Side, Object, Group, String
20:25:54 File A3\functions_f\Tasks\fn_setTask.sqf, line 313
{
20:25:54 class HitPoints::HitFuel not found in Horde_O_MBT_02_arty_F
{
{

Thanks

Love the new enhancement, feels refreshing to have a new modern interface. One thing I haven't tested yet, will task waypoints/locations be shown when the key 'J' is pressed? Until now I've always double tapped 'M' to see those waypoints.

Also, why are unassigned tasks shown on the HUD? (while not in the map, that is).

Unassigned tasks are shown in HUD only when diary is opened or when they are configured to do so. (i.e. by default only assigned task is shown)

Question from the perspective of a mission creator: Do I have to update all of my missions to make the tasks work (again)? I've tested some of my last ones and I've noticed that tasks aren't showing up anymore.

Task overhaul updates do not require any changes to already created missions to work. However if you want to set task type you need to add the optional parameter to the task.

Task types and their icons will be listed on the wiki guide - Tasks Overhaul - together with the guide how to define your own task types with custom created textures.

Regarding your point about tasks not showing - there is an issue related to tasks referring to objects. If the object is not known to player, the task position is also hidden to player and so task is not visualized in map and 3D (until the object is revealed to player). Might that be your case?

Thought I would repost my initial feedback from General Discussion here, now that there's a dedicated thread.

Tasks have transitioned to engine nicely (at least as far as SP is concerned).

Just need to be able to reposition the 'Journal' UI element.

Make it available in the layout settings, as it's currently sitting on top of the vehicle info bar.

zozo, just to confirm the highlighted dot point; does this mean that Task Enhancement changes will come to the Create/Modify task modules that exist currently in the editor/Eden?

If so, yay!!

Tasks module in the editor is just an another layer using the Tasks Framework. And if this feature is going to be implemented, it will also affect tasks created by modules.

(Just a note: the mentioned features are part of the long term plan and we do not count with them for Apex.)

While this system greatly benefits in sp environment (sp campaign) and specific mp mode (end game mp mode)

I feel like is not broad enough to be used more.

I don't know if you are aware of it, just reminding it - there's a feature called Shared Objectives. This is used for showing information how many players (and what players) are on the given task. 

This feature can be also customized for a whatever info - not just for the Shared Objectives. Designers can use it for whatever they want to use it.

Then I got an idea: If we could freely move task in our map, that would greatly improve multiplayer experience.

This goes back to BF2 anyone remember game being touted for extremely well organized team based shooter.

Well part of it goes to ability of squad leader to place go to mark for squad mates.

That's a good idea, of course, it would be great. I am writing it down ;-)

Thanks.Was one of those ideas, that I couldn't get out of my head.Who is zozo btw, anyone know?

Well part of it goes to ability of squad leader to place go to mark for squad

So like, on-the-fly tasks?

Edited by cx64

So like, on-the-fly tasks?

Picture yourself being squadleader, opening map and clicking where you would want task to be positioned.Your riflemen, AR gunner,

grenadier would know where you want them to go.In same breath other squadleaders could see task set and assigned.

HI,

looks nice   :)

I'm getting a lot of this in report file for existing missions:

{
{
20:25:54 class HitPoints::HitFuel not found in Horde_O_MBT_02_arty_F
{
{

Thanks

Please isolate the issue and fill in report at feedback.arma3.com. We need a clear repro to find out what is causing the issue you are experiencing.

Picture yourself being squadleader, opening map and clicking where you would want task to be positioned.Your riflemen, AR gunner,

grenadier would know where you want them to go.In same breath other squadleaders could see task set and assigned.

Could be very useful, especially in large scale CO-OPs where objectives are sometimes created on-the-fly.

I have a small suggestion regarding the scripting side of things:

wouldn't it make more sense to have the task type string (parameter 7 in BIS_fnc_createTask) inside the task description array (parameter 2)?

with a little bit more work it could also allow modifying the specific task type through the description.ext (through CfgTaskDescriptions)

• Like 1

The following issue is not directly related to the Task Overhaul, but what better place and time to make you aware of it?

The Task Destination Module, needs to be activated after the task has been created to show a destination on the map. That's incredible inconvient and it would be much apprechiated if someone from the dev team could look into that.

More details can be found here.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/147470-task-destination-module-not-working/

Please isolate the issue and fill in report at feedback.arma3.com. We need a clear repro to find out what is causing the issue you are experiencing.

Feedback tracker is down due to haxx0rs so I'll put it here for you.

Start new MP Game (hosted)

Put this in debug console:

_return = [
"sample_task",
true,
["Title.","Spam","Spam"],
[99999,99999,0],
"CREATED",
false,
true,
"",
false
] call BIS_fnc_setTask;

Errors out on my PC.

Thanks.

So, there is a new setSimpleTaskType script command. Does it work as I think it does, so _task setSimpleTaskType _type ? With _type being a CfgTaskType ? 

nice. but please give mission makers the option to not have the distance shown on every way point? maybe simply replaced with custom text. that way they dont get an auto distance measuring for things like sniper or survival missions where map reading is important but hand holding isnt.

So, there is a new setSimpleTaskType script command. Does it work as I think it does, so _task setSimpleTaskType _type ? With _type being a CfgTaskType ?

Answering my own questjon: yes, this is how it works. I was a bit confused when no appropriate task icons showed up, just to learn that they currently am look the same except the letters

Answering my own questjon: yes, this is how it works. I was a bit confused when no appropriate task icons showed up, just to learn that they currently am look the same except the letters

You are right about the definition and commands. The details about task type definition and implementation will be filled into the wiki guide before 1.58 release. The set of task types and icons is currently in production. The 1.58 is going to ship with bunch of icons that should cover most of the needs when designing mission tasks.

However the system is designed the way that you can define your own task types in addon and/or mission confing, so the designer has the full control about how his task get visualized.