jcae2798

Royal Marines - Afghan Missions

Royal Marines - Afghan Mission

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/cXnuB

Ladies and gents, I present to you, a campaign designed around the Royal Marines in Afghanistan.  The idea behind this was taken from a documentary I came across called 'Royal Marines - Afghan Mission'.  If you haven't heard of it, I highly recommend you look it up.  It can be found on Youtube.  It was well recorded and presented.  Maybe even watch it before playing this!

The missions are built around immersion and not mass fighting.  The main goal is searching for IEDs, and disarming them making it safe for the people of the country.  This mission will not be about fight after fight, although you will find some action along the way.  It's a short series of about 5 missions.

Some of the highlights are:
-Custom IED scripts where IEDs can be buried underground not seen by the naked eye
-The players voice is disabled by default so they don't scream out "bomb found".  It is recommended you change your difficulty settings to hide the MINE markers in-game.
-A custom Mine detector is built into the mission, however I recommend you use the recommended addon below.
-EDEN designed.  Use of custom objects to enhance immersion.
-Dialogue and custom scripts

Required Addons (seems like a long list but worth it!  I may remove Massi's pack in the future):
-3CB BAF Pack (Units, Weapons, Vehicles):
https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/182771-3cb-baf-equipment/
https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/174740-3cb-baf-units/
https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/180966-3cb-baf-weapons/
https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/174743-3cb-baf-vehicles/
-CBA: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18767
-CUP Package (Terrains, Units, Weapons, Vehicles)
-Kunduz Map
-ARP Objects: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19689

Recommended Addons:
Revo's Mine Detector:  http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29929

**Please either disable ACE or remove explosive module to avoid IED issues!

Have fun, and report any found bugs if any please.  Also feedback is appreciated.

DROPBOX: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nl9coewb94eail/%40AfghanMissions.zip?dl=0

STEAM: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=637398818

• Like 4

Yay! Testing it right naaaaw! =D

(I´ll post some feedback here later ;D

darn it... it ctd´s arma3.... could be the 1.56 hotfix maybe? got all required mods on =(

• Like 1

That's a bummer, let me test it today and report back...

• Like 1

Hey so i did confirm its working on 1.56 with hotfix.

WHen i was testing it myself i do recall once it CTD when i didnt load all the addons.  It was weird because prior to 1.56x it use to tell me i was missing content but latest version seems to CTD instead.  I wonder if its this?

Keep in mind you will need the ARP objects as well as all the others listed requirements.  I hope you can figure it out...

Hey Lib, a lot of others are having similar issues on Steam.  Do you have a report file showing anything?:  Or maybe sharing it either way so i can see how the addons are being loaded?

Sorry, i found the issue.  Will fix and update soon.  The issue is JBAD addon is required, but for those who dont have it, i will remove this.

Alright it's been fixed.  Updated both Steam and Dropbox.

I also removed Massi's addon dependency.  So you no longer need to run those mods.  Hopefully this works out better for ya.  Let me know!

• Like 1

Great, I´ll play it right now! on a sidenote, I´ve discovered that the latest cba caused ACe3 to ctd whenever loading a saved game, I´ve reverted to december 15 version and trying with it =)

I´ll post the feedback (hopefully) [EDIT]: IT WORKED! YAYA! DOUBLE YAY! ;)

cheers!

Nice.

To be honest i'm not sure how well the IED script will work with ACE.  It may be best to play it without ACE, but i'll leave it up to the player to see how it plays out.

Unfortunately I can't get this campaign working with Revo's Mine Detector.

I tried both Steam and Armaholic version of RMD, only to get following error on Arma start:

Script Mine_detector\init.sqf not found

Note that the error disappears when I unload your campaign in the launcher (which obviously misses the point of playing it).

The error makes the RMD inactive, no fancy mine detector.

Here's detailed list of addons as set in my launcher's 'Royal Marines - Afghan Missions' configuration.

CBA_A3 (Steam)
CUP Weapons (Steam)
CUP Terrains - Core (Steam)
CUP Units (Steam)
CUP Terrains - Maps (Steam)
Kunduz Afghanistan (Steam)
Cup Vehicles (Steam)
Arma Role Play Objects 2 (local)
BLX (local)
3CB: BAF Equipment v1.1 (local)
Mine Detector (Steam)
3CB: BAF Weapons v1.1 (local)
3CB: BAF Vehicles v4.0 (local)
3CB: BAF Units v3.0 (local)
Royal Marines - Afghan Mission (Steam)

What's your list that makes RMD work in your campaign?

So my mods and minimum required for this are;

-mod=@3cb_baf_equipment;@3cb_baf_units;@3cb_baf_vehicles;@3cb_baf_weapons;@ARP2;@CBA_A3;@CUP Terrains - Core;@CUP Terrains - Maps;@Kunduz Afghanistan;@CUP Units;@CUP Weapons;@CUP Vehicles;@BLX;@Royal Marines - Afghan Mission;@Mine Detector;

I use a 3rd party launcher and these are the folder names which could be slightly different from yours.

The error you describe however is the built in mine detector i added to the missions.  You should still be able to play and use RMD instead.  But even with that said, it sounds like there is a problem with your download, or a MOD conflict (if you're loading extra addons).  My only recommendation is unsubscribe from the mission and redo it again causing it to re-download the files.  You can try my DROPBOX version as well just to rule out a STEAM issue.  I hope you can get it to work.

The error you describe however is the built in mine detector i added to the missions.  You should still be able to play and use RMD instead.  But even with that said, it sounds like there is a problem with your download, or a MOD conflict (if you're loading extra addons).  My only recommendation is unsubscribe from the mission and redo it again causing it to re-download the files.  You can try my DROPBOX version as well just to rule out a STEAM issue.  I hope you can get it to work.

There's a progress - after I rearranged the required mods in the order you described and replaced Steam version of your campaign with the Dropbox one now I can finally use RMD during the mission - its display shows up and the detector works like charm.

However several strange things continue to happen:

• The 'Mine_detector\init.sqf' error still shows up.
  • When turning RMD on with 'Ctrl+F5' a standard 'F5' context menu shows up too - some conflict with standard keymapping I guess.
  • Both standard and RMD detectors work simultaneously, when RMD is turned on (both distinctively different beeping is heard) until I open inventory, put mine detector item on the ground, pick it back up and turn RMD on again - now only RMD works.

I don't load any other mods than required.

Do I understand correctly that you added built in detector to the missions that is not really needed when using RMD? If so, and if you would bother to prepare a version stripped off of built in detector I would certainly give it a try.

I'm going to enjoy your campaign anyway, the introduction is very promising.

Just played through the first mission. It has a great atmosphere and you have a lot of talent for mission making.

Besides that, i also wonder why CUP Terrains is required when you use the Kunduz standalone map?

• Like 2

Just played through the first mission. It has a great atmosphere and you have a lot of talent for mission making.

Besides that, i also wonder why CUP Terrains is required when you use the Kunduz standalone map?

Yeah just wondered the same, Kunduz is standalone, no need for CUP terrains (did that mistake on a mission on santa catalina island, also standalone lol)... CUP units/weapons was required for depicting the talis, right? Wouldn´t caf aggressors do the same with less gigabyte usage? (for more broad audience sake, I don´t mind myself as I have tons of mods lol) anyways, I was wondering too: at mission start, the player is deployed on camp by BIS AAF transport helo retextured... if you use CUP vehicles, why not use the real deal (I mean, proper merlin... besides CUP, there´s delta gamer´s Wildcat/AH-1 apache and Merlin, all standalone and way less net heavy tahn CUP, just as suggestion...)?

So far it is my only issue, loved a lot, the atmosphere, the dialogs, the attention to detail (haven´t seen a campaign with houses completely decorated, awesome!)

This campaign is a solid 10/10, great usage of 3CB mod and ARP2 decos! Keep up the great work Jcae2798! =D (edit: Damn, I just forgot you´re GIGAS.... well, great work as usual lol in Gigas we trust ;D

And indeed ACE shuld be disabled while playing this, the mine detection was seriously compromised (I couldn´t detect all ieds on the test site, so the first mission never completed)

cheers!

• Like 2

Yeah, i totally agree on your suggestions. When the CUPs are already required then proper Merlin should have been used.

Hi. I can't play it ATM, so got a few questions:

-how many missions are there?

-are we always team leader?

-are they infantry only?

Thanks, and congrats for your work and release!!!

• Like 1

Thanks all for the feedback.  So CUP Terrains is required because i used objects from it to add to the atmosphere.  Since CUP units/weapons/vehicles are used, i figured most of the community has the full package anyways.  I apologize for those who don't and cannot play this for those reasons. 

@bujalski, regarding your issues, you're right.  In the first mission I left the integrated mine detector On and hide the addaction to disable it.  However in missions 2-5 you should have the option to disable it.  If not let me know.  I'll fix this in near future as needed.

@corporal_lib[br]. thanks for the feedback on ACE.  I also thought it would cause issues, so best to leave it disabled.  Worst case you can probably remove the EXPLOSIVE module in ACE and i think it may work but my custom IED script probably wont play nice.

@wiki; there are 5 total missions.  All infantry based, and yes you are the leader of the group.  Hope you can get it running.  Good luck.

Both STEAM and Dropbox updated to resolve mine detector issues on mission 1.  You should now have an option to disable built in mine detector feature.  Thanks

I can't play ATM, can someone make a walkthrough?

I can't play ATM, can someone make a walkthrough?

Hitting you up on PM.

Both STEAM and Dropbox updated to resolve mine detector issues on mission 1.  You should now have an option to disable built in mine detector feature.  Thanks

Thanks for the update, I used the latest DROPBOX version. The 'Mine_detector\init.sqf' error message is still there after Arma is loaded but there is a slight change in the '[MINE DETECTOR] DEACTIVATED' message, the one displayed while in helicopter. However only the format and colour of the message changed, still got both detectors running until I put the mine detector item on the ground and pick it back up. No option to disable built in mine detector in 1st mision, but in 2nd one the option is duplicated in action menu, and the built in detector is off from the beginning.

I moved on to the second mission and liked it very much. The dialogues, radios playing, running spotter (stopped, searched and arrested him). The bomb making place looked just as it should be. Though I felt the civilians were too few I understand it's part of the plot, as they are going to return to the village as my team continues to mop up IEDs and insurgents. Minor details to be fixed are 1. English names of the civilians and 2. Map of Altis unfolded on the ground during mission prologue.

I also managed to get my squad stuck helplessly in one of the smallest cottages in compound 32. I entered it in search of IEDs, then my 2 entered it too, just before I left. After that 3 went in, and 4 blocked 2 from exiting. From that moment 2 and 3 could not get out no matter what order I issued to them or other team members.

Minor problems aside, one of the best campaigns I played so far. You can feel how arduous task has been set to do. Hearts and minds (& IEDs).

• Like 2