germanske_norge

Arma 3 flinching mechanics

It seems a lot of people posting here are in the dark about how the bad flinching came in the game. Hopefully my explanation helps people understand better:

1. Arma 3 introduces ragdoll for the first time in the series

2. There was no flinching, no reaction whatsoever when someone gets hit but doesn't die. Which is a lot of time with the improved body armor of Arma 3

3. BIS decided based on feedback that some kind of reaction should be built in

4. BIS had no animations/internal game mechanics available to achieve this

5. As a solution, BIS made characters ragdoll a little bit when hit, this is the Flinch

Problems with a little bit of ragdoll/flinch

1. characters 'jump back' weirdly into their normal posture after flinch

2. characters can be seen letting go of their gun, but then it 'rewinds' into their hands

3. parts of the ragdolling/flinching character hit something, making the character fly into the air

Conclusion: current flinching mechanism is only a stop-gap solution for a missing game mechanic (reaction to being shot).

Great post.

I would only add on top that current animation system in arma 3 requires overhaul.All impressions regarding animation system

through developer responses on dev branch and sitreps gives me impression that their animation spider is extremely

limited, overcomplicated and pain to work with.

• Like 1

Great post.

I would only add on top that current animation system in arma 3 requires overhaul.All impressions regarding animation system

through developer responses on dev branch and sitreps gives me impression that their animation spider is extremely

limited, overcomplicated and pain to work with.

I couldn't agree more; Arma's animations although goo, feel clumsy and difficult to modify.

For Arma 4, perhaps BI could seek inspiration or even help from Euphoria (GTAV's animation system)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphoria_(software)

It really seems to be the best out there.

But I've no idea how suitable it is for Arma's open-world, high MP & heavily moddable eco-system.

I just cant believe its that hard to get some alternative to the simple flinch. A few animations and a few transitions is all thats needed.

Right Leg, Left Leg, Right Arm, Left Arm, Torso, Spine -is it not possible to get a model to lower his gun and momentarily reach for his wound? Or how about a very slight "push" to the model and add a few lowered weapon sight animations as well as a reaqcuistion one?

the methods I use from various mods in that video may look a bit hacki-ish but it plays out way better than standard in which i can never go back to. We are told soldiers gain some sort of aiming  penalty when shot but is not noticeable at all and is impossible to detect visibly. Soldiers need to react via animation as the shooting penalty is now indisputable - he's knocked on his ass, he's not return firing right away. Also if a soldier is knocked into a 'stunned position', it adds more depth to the battlefield as he may get back up at a later point or even shoot from a wounded one.

We're told the animation system is already pushed to the brink but these things are all possible already, we just need the dev's to really want it as well...

• Like 6

Solution i found in stupid flinch animation is i use ACE mod when you shoot someone they go down depending where you shot them and also if you get hit you can get knocked down.  I hate the flinch animation sometimes when you shoot the enemy their arms go up and twitch.  Maybe one day they will fix it i mean they keep changing the walking animations they might go and say hey i can fix this issues.

use ACE mod when you shoot someone they go down depending where you shot them

I like the ACE mod for this reason too :) only complaint I have is that IMO they go down too fast. Much too fast. However, I like that you can never really tell if the unit is dead or not & might get back up to give you trouble later. Unless of course I see the infamous ragdoll starjump followed by a fountain of weapons :D

All in all though I definintely prefer the current ragdoll to the old animated deaths. By a long way.

• Like 1

I still Prefer the way Arma 2 had it.

• Like 1

As is. it's one of the weakest parts of the game. Considering how important a cog it is in every firefight across all mission types.

Froggy has it pretty much nailed to the cross in his post.

I couldn't agree more; Arma's animations although goo, feel clumsy and difficult to modify.

For Arma 4, perhaps BI could seek inspiration or even help from Euphoria (GTAV's animation system)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphoria_(software)

It really seems to be the best out there.

But I've no idea how suitable it is for Arma's open-world, high MP & heavily moddable eco-system.

With the current engine? Not at all. Ever.

If Arma has any plans for future titles, they need to either completely redo the RV engine from scratch/the ground up with up-to-date tech and standards, which is incredibly unlikely. Or pick up one of the newer engines that are available, like UE4.

Squeezing anymore life out of this already dead carcass of an engine is simply impossible while hoping to provide your customers with a product/gameplay that is suitable for the day and age it's being released in.

Enfusion should get new animation system so you can wait improvement in there.

Enfusion should get new animation system so you can wait improvement in there.

Except that it isn't going to be used for Arma3 in any way.

After 5 years and the same splinter in ass of player...

Today, even after such a long time, the my  eyes bleed when I see hit-animations and ragdoll physics in Arma3 and I'm sure I'm not alone. 

In Bohemia Interactive Studio for five years, and there is not even one talent animator able to fix this sh..t.  And most interesting - there is not a single mod able to fix it also!  After this time, I'm shocked :/

But I remember one moment!  Before to the the Arma3 Nexus update, the ACE3 mod was able correct this ugliness!

I remember perfectly well the moment, when I caught myself thinking that the now the Arma3 hit reactions looked perfect! I have not seen any crazy jerking and flying into heaven. All deaths looked serious, but after the game Nexus update, it was broken and it seems that forever...

On 5/27/2016 at 3:19 PM, Mirek said:

I still Prefer the way Arma 2 had it.

Especially with COSLX that had flying bodyparts when shooting someone with the AA-12 HE rounds, heh.

You can't flinch with something no longer attached to your body.

Cheers

• Like 1