ALiVEmod

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment 1.0 (GA)

Hi Folks,

Just a question on the "Player Logistics" module - requested vertical resupply with one RHS Ammo Crate - helicopter showed up - landed - and took off again before I could get to it (pretty close) - no Ammo Crate was left - what's the trick to get this to work ???

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Hey Scott. This is a very unfortunate bug with ALiVE: http://alivemod.com/forum/2440-logistics-broken

In the meantime, as much as it's an inconvenience, do your best return to base when you are in desperate need of supplies. Spyder Addons also lets you create custom loadouts which you can transfer to grouped AI units as well (thanks to his loadout manager).

ALiVE Devs, I just checked on the Github and don't see a ticket for this. Should I open one?

Hey Scott. This is a very unfortunate bug with ALiVE: http://alivemod.com/forum/2440-logistics-broken

In the meantime, as much as it's an inconvenience, do your best return to base when you are in desperate need of supplies. Spyder Addons also lets you create custom loadouts which you can transfer to grouped AI units as well (thanks to his loadout manager).

ALiVE Devs, I just checked on the Github and don't see a ticket for this. Should I open one?

Yes please!

Hi Folks,

If I recall correctly someone is working on the artillery module – if so I just like to offer a quick suggestion.

I was playing around with the ALiVE artillery module over the weekend and I normally play in expert mode where troop positions are not displayed on the map. It would be very helpful if the Command Tablet would actually remember the last artillery shot made by the player - with a marker or something. This way we could shoot a ranging shot to make sure the shells are landing where we expect them to – before ordering a "fire for effect"... As it stands it's pretty difficult to find the same location your last shot landed on the tablet - especially when shells are landing danger close and someone is shooting at you.

Anyway – just my two cents – please take it for what it's worth.

Thanks for all you guys do.

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Marcel,

OK - thank you - best of luck when/if you do...

:)

Regards,
Scott

• Like 1

Why am I seeing Roadblocks swap via the ALiVE modules but no enemy populating them?  I have only recently started seeing this....all roadblocks are now empty.  Any help is appreciated.

On roadblocks- is it possible to have the standard 50. cal in the roadblock/ checkpoints replaced by a static weapon of the AI faction, either automatically (something like detecting a weapon in the 'static' category of the faction and adding it, or even a config/ classname of the new weapon.)   -

Also on statics, how does ALiVE handle them spawning and function? For example, I have made a faction that has a 'group' of 2x mortars/ howitzers that is apparently, according to OPCOM, ALiVE compatible, but I have not seen any of the static units on the map- are they limited to only (MIL) locations, or are they not spawned via AliVE at all? 

On the road block topic. They are spawning at 90 degrees on the road.. like side ways. 

Entire Roadblocks? I haven't had that issue in my unit, but we have had the occasional road gate spawn sideways- hasnt happened in a while, and I believe it may have been related to an older version of CUP.

• Like 1

They do it about three out of five times, on both CUP maps and stock maps

In regards to the auto taskings, few questions:

I have an assymetrical game set up where blufor is assisting an opcom controlled IND, who is against an OPF_G insurgent force.

I set auto task to enabled, and for some reason it worked the first time by giving me an objective to attack an installation in the OPF_G controlled area. But whenever I tried again, it gave me a defend obj outside both TAORs, and auto spawned blufor troops. (Essentially a random event, not what I'm going for).

Does Blufor need to be controlled by OPCOM in order to get Objectives based on the actual situation all the time or do I need to do something else?

I guess what I am essentially asking, is which tasks are actually based on battlefield situation and not randomly spawned? I just found the blacklist feature but don't know which ones are which.

So I have a problem

I synced an IED module (with extreme ied, suicide bomber, and VBIED threat) to an assymetric warfare commander but i have NO ieds showing up in debug. I also have civilian threat set as high to my side (blu_f). 

Is it synced wrong?

Which tasks are based on whats going on with the battlefield at the current time in mission?  None, that I am aware of.  They are all random missions taken from a list of different types.  Defend/Attack/Seize/ etc.

ALiVE is great in that you can run those tasks as stuff to spice up what's going on for players, or you can totally let players run missions all on their own.
Have them scout areas, find groups of enemies, run into ambushes etc.  

You can set non-virtualized units and assets in EDEN if you want them to run across fixed emplacements, or just have everything be totally random.

So I have a problem

I synced an IED module (with extreme ied, suicide bomber, and VBIED threat) to an assymetric warfare commander but i have NO ieds showing up in debug. I also have civilian threat set as high to my side (blu_f). 

Is it synced wrong?

I believe you have to wait for the ASYM forces to actually go out and place those IED's after you start the mission.  I haven't made an Asym mission in a while, so I am not sure if they are supposed to spawn into the mission with IEDs everywhere.  I do know that if you have them enabled the EI will go out and place them.

In regards to the auto taskings, few questions:

I have an assymetrical game set up where blufor is assisting an opcom controlled IND, who is against an OPF_G insurgent force.

I set auto task to enabled, and for some reason it worked the first time by giving me an objective to attack an installation in the OPF_G controlled area. But whenever I tried again, it gave me a defend obj outside both TAORs, and auto spawned blufor troops. (Essentially a random event, not what I'm going for).

Does Blufor need to be controlled by OPCOM in order to get Objectives based on the actual situation all the time or do I need to do something else?

Don't quote me on it but it seems that the assassination task is the only one that's tied in to OPCOM.

I believe you have to wait for the ASYM forces to actually go out and place those IED's after you start the mission.  I haven't made an Asym mission in a while, so I am not sure if they are supposed to spawn into the mission with IEDs everywhere.  I do know that if you have them enabled the EI will go out and place them.

hmm...

that would make sense but i played for a while. At least an hour and a half and didnt run into one. 

Also side question

To what extent does the AI comammander react to the players actions?

I ask because I set up my alive missions WITHOUT friendly AI force. I find that it lags the game too much and just makes everything messy. So I have an enemy AI commander but only myself (with recruitable units via Zeus) on my side).

So how does this work in regards to the enemy AI commander. He doesnt have to react/counter my own AI commander because...there isnt one. Does it still work out? 

Like say I go roling in with a tank, will he identify that threat and maybe send in an attack chopper or his own tanks to deal with it? 

@ Dragon- From my own experience, it depends on a few things- the ALiVE mode that is used- assymetric/ insurgency you will not notice AI reactions as overtly compared to occupation/invasion. AI on an agressive mode (occ/invasion) tend to mobilise a 'QRF' or reinforcement convoy of troops from any nearby major cities once the AI detect players in the area (it's possible to take out patrols before they radio if they all die very quickly, as it takes between 5-20ish seconds for the AI to 'radio' HQ that enemies are around) and that convoy of reinforcements will then move down towards the players.

It takes a considerable period of time (when my unit was testing this, it was approx 30-40 mins for the QRF to arrive- infantry can be pulled and will approach the contact area on foot, regardless of terrain, while vehicles prefer to travel via roads and highways, but may go off-road on occasion. 

We have made our own OPFOR units, who have small amounts of vehicles/aircraft, and they tend to not use the higher quality units (the faction has technicals, APC's, tanks, Hellcat) in roving patrols, tending to use lighter vehicles instead, keeping the heavy armor in reserve as a QRF force- for example they will send technicals out on patrol, but keep a T55/ T72 tank in reserve for a QRF force, and those tanks then link up with infantry for a push towards the players when contact is reported-

Example (from about 2 weeks ago) - We deployed a small raiding force, say 2 fireteams or so, onto a beachside city on Sahrani- the enemy inside the town spotted the players, reported, the engagement started between the 2 groups, and 2 T55's were mobilised from the nearest major city, about 1KM away- the tanks along with infantry then moved towards the beach town down the main highway, while the players were busy fighting inside the city- the city contained a military installation, so I ASSUME that's why the MBT's were called instead of lighter armor like a BMP-1 or technical. When the tanks and infantry arrived the players had already completed their objective and left the area, so the infantry moved into the city (but did not garrison any buildings that I could see) and the tanks parked in a field just outside the city. 

I do not know if the enemy 'detects' the type of force they are fighting, and I think it's just based on how threatening they are (as in, if they are close to an important area like a major highway, military base, or installations. Note that my unit plays with Spyder's alive as well, but I do not think that would affect the enemy combat AI, as it's more centered around civilians and civilian interaction. 

On IEDs/ Aysmmetric fighting- the AI need a period of time to start placing IED's on the map, so It's ideal if the server is up and running about 2 hours or so earlier than everyone gets on, as that gives them a bit of time to start placing the IED's on the map- while the IED factories will spawn in upon mission start, they do not start generating/ placing IED's in the area for a while- destroying a IED factory will cause the IED amount in the area to be reduced in number. It is possible to have civilians acting as 'triggermen' for the IED's, or they may be simply observing the BLUFOR players, and if hostile towards them may mark the position for an IED to placed later if it gets alot of player traffic over that road. 

• Like 2

On IEDs/ Aysmmetric fighting- the AI need a period of time to start placing IED's on the map, so It's ideal if the server is up and running about 2 hours or so earlier than everyone gets on, as that gives them a bit of time to start placing the IED's on the map- while the IED factories will spawn in upon mission start, they do not start generating/ placing IED's in the area for a while- destroying a IED factory will cause the IED amount in the area to be reduced in number. It is possible to have civilians acting as 'triggermen' for the IED's, or they may be simply observing the BLUFOR players, and if hostile towards them may mark the position for an IED to placed later if it gets alot of player traffic over that road.

Jarrad96, excellent post.

Just one thing I'd like to point out with the above quote though. If the mission is designed to be a long term persistent campaign, with the goal of the entire map being in play for the insurgents and the mission being designed to take several days or weeks to "beat", I'd advise to be careful letting the mission run without human interaction. Depending on the pre-placed installations setting for the Assymetric OPCOM, along with civilian hostility and density, if gone unchecked the map could become so full of insurgent HQ's that the mission would literally become inundated with new recruits and ultimately insurmountable if the mission maker isn't careful with their initial force size.

Depending on the settings and mission setup, I've seen a perfectly seemingly well made insurgencies go from being very well balanced, to becoming ridiculously out of hand by around the 8-10 hour mark.

I'd recommend mission makers utilize the built in debug features and keep a close eye on this.

But all in all great post. I just wanted to bring this up incase dragonfire wasn't aware.