Pomi Git

BHI Mods Discussion thread

For those not aware, BHI (Blue harvest Interactive) is a dev team responsible for the now cancelled "Star Wars Imperial Assault mod". 

I'm creating this thread to provide a place for us to provide updates on our next project. Right now we are very much at the drawing board, discussing ideas and concepts. We will keep you up to date as soon as we have something to share. In the mean time feel free to ask any question.

Cheers

Pomi

• Like 1

Will you guys post here if you get any response from Disney, either positive or negative? If it's not too much trouble I'd like to be kept up to date on that.

Do you think you will guys will release assets as individual pieces, as packages, or will wait until the whole thing is alpha/beta ready?

The Mac-stravaganza, brought to you by Crapatalk.

Here are my potential Arma 3 mod ideas.

*Terminator: Humans vs Skynet (I know there was another Arma 3 WIP mod like that, but its most likely dead)

*Dune: Blufor house atreides, Redfor house Harkonnen, Indfor house ordos. Plus a new enviroment

Otherwise, I could create a new Sci-Fi idea. Discuss with me

If starwars falls through you could further develop a army of your choice.

• Like 1

Will you guys post here if you get any response from Disney, either positive or negative? If it's not too much trouble I'd like to be kept up to date on that.

We will but truthfully I doubt Disney would come back and say ok. It would have implications for their IP.

If starwars falls through you could further develop a army of your choice.

That would be the default choice. A mod in the vein of Star wars. But we are exploring many different ideas right now

Sad to see the Star Wars mod is done, but shooting suggestions.....how about WWII?

You could join Community Upgrade Project, they are always looking for more guys to help with the effort, port and improve previous games content. 

What about warhammer 40k? I really would like something with fat armour suits and some big weapons.

• Like 1

Join forces with Unsung or I44

You could join Community Upgrade Project, they are always looking for more guys to help with the effort, port and improve previous games content. 

I've got nothing against any of those projects but that's not really what we are about or what we are looking for. Appreciate the suggestions though. 

Whatever we do it will be something fresh and different to whats available now. We may even go completely independent of ARMA altogether. We've been looking into Unreal Engine as a possible option.

We'll let you know once we have something to share.

What about warhammer 40k? I really would like something with fat armour suits and some big weapons.

you realize we cancelled the mod due to copyright concerns right? :)

Something along the veins/style of Battlefield 2142 would be pretty cool. The new conglomerate and the terran republic from Planetside 2 have some similar vibe. Practical designs, for the most part at least, futuristic but no "phased neutrinolance plasmacutter" Stuff.

A down-to-earth scifi setting, mostly detached from realworld in terms of scenario/factions, but still believable. Kinda like what Arma wanted to become (at least what i think it) but didn't.

That's what i would find pretty cool, and it should work pretty well in the Arma engine.

Making a completely new game... that's a big fish to fry. All the groundwork you have to do before even getting something with quality out of the door is ridiculous. All the ambient sounds, environment models, props, base UI and gameplay functions. Most people prefer work on "cool stuff" instead...

• Like 1

Making a completely new game... that's a big fish to fry. All the groundwork you have to do before even getting something with quality out of the door is ridiculous. All the ambient sounds, environment models, props, base UI and gameplay functions. Most people prefer work on "cool stuff" instead, so this would require a strict assett managing scheme.

Yes we do understand that, we are not looking at that option with our eyes closed :).  We have the skills and knowledge so there is no issue there. If we did go down that path it wouldnt be anything as complex as ARMA 3.  

We will but truthfully I doubt Disney would come back and say ok. It would have implications for their IP.

Sorry to see this happen but you guys are making the right choice. The folks on here want this mod thus making them blind to what could actually happen to you guys if you keep working on it. They don't have any risk in asking you to risk yourselves. I don't understand why they can't understand ownership is ownership period. There are no loopholes and there are most certainly no instances where it's ok to copy/use someones copyrighted property without their express consent. Folks don't seem to understand how much time this stuff takes and to spend all that time working on something that can be taken at anytime when you could spend that time doing something that can't be taken away seems more like gambling then modding.

Sorry folks, but you simply can not in any way shape or form use/copy/distribute/modify/derive from/etc/etc/etc copyrighted material without proper licensing or consent from the property owner.

Also, keep in something in mind... now that you have contacted Disney they know about you so if this mod ever starts up again without their express consent... well... yeah. 

• Like 1

Sorry folks, but you simply can not in any way shape or form use/copy/distribute/modify/derive from/etc/etc/etc copyrighted material without proper licensing or consent from the property owner.

Well you can but you have to be willing to accept the risks. And I think there is a common belief that the worst to be expected is a cease and desist which in the scheme of things isnt a big deal. Until recently I think that's probably been a fair assumption, but I sense a change coming. Certainly the CBS case against Axanar sets a new precedent that would be foolish to ignore. 

Anyway on that note we have received an expected response from LucasFilm. Key excerpts are below: 

Although we appreciate your interest, we cannot grant you the permission you seek.  We receive many requests seeking permission to use material from the Star Wars motion pictures, and we are unfortunately unable to grant permission for uses that are not associated more closely with our films.

Lucasfilm Ltd. is the sole and exclusive owner of the Star Wars motion pictures and any other Star Wars properties.  These properties and unique elements that appear therein are protected by the copyright and trademark laws of the United States and other nations.

Sorry folks :(

Well you can but you have to be willing to accept the risks. And I think there is a common belief that the worst to be expected is a cease and desist which in the scheme of things isnt a big deal. Until recently I think that's probably been a fair assumption, but I sense a change coming. Certainly the CBS case against Axanar sets a new precedent that would be foolish to ignore. 

Anyway on that note we have received an expected response from LucasFilm. Key excerpts are below: 

Sorry folks :(

Perhaps I should have worded it:

"Sorry folks, but you simply can not in any way shape or form *LEGALLY* use/copy/distribute/modify/derive from/etc/etc/etc copyrighted material without proper licensing or consent from the property owner."

Sorry to hear you got the typical response, even though it was expected.

I'm sorry but I got to say it... You guys should have thought about this before even starting the mod, much less jerking the community through a bunch of hype just for the mod with fancy trailers and release plans, to (predictably) be cancelled. I made a post on another forum stating that when the Storm Trooper thing was so delayed, it was the beginning of the death throes of the mod. Yet again I was right. I cannot but help feel that internal problems with the team is more the reason for the cancellation than a sudden and inexplicable fear of C&D/Lawsuit. This mod was announced when freaking Battlefront was on the horizon! How could you have not weighed the costs more carefully! 

I cannot say that I will be very interested in any type of independent product from you guys, as I feel this situation demonstrated a lack of foresight that will not transfer well into Indie game development. 

Well, at least we got OPTRE. They have demonstrated plenty of intestinal fortitude in the face of AAA IP holders, and they have already made a mod with... you know... opposing factions? 

On another note, why is the modding community for Arma 3 such a mess??? The mods in this game don't hold a candle to the last couple Armas... 

Doesn't EA/DICE own the rights to Star Wars games? 

Doesn't EA/DICE own the rights to Star Wars games?

The more I think about it the more I am convinced this isn't about lawsuit fear, that I think is a red herring. There are so many courses of action that could be taken to avoid lawsuit (which would never come anyway- I am speaking from a point of expertise here) that is is rediculous: they could remove Star Wars from the name, they could tweak the name of assets or change a few details so as to avoid potential issues, or they could be like OPTRE and not give a darn, because nothing will happen...

I think this is more about a team collapse as evidenced by developments mentioned during the Storm Trooper release, or perhaps a loss of interest. I'm not buying that this is some sudden change of heart when the mod was born in the shadow of Battlefront, but if it was, how about you guys just hand over the assets to some people who aren't afraid to finish it? We have enough let downs with mods on a regular basis to watch this one die as well...

• Like 3

Operation Trebuchet is in a totally different situation, Microsoft has actually said that they don't care what fans create based on the IP so long as they aren't trying to sell it or ripping stuff from the actual game. Oh and if you're going to continue to be such a dick to modders who work for free, you aren't going to be in this community much longer.  

• Like 3

Operation Trebuchet is in a totally different situation, Microsoft has actually said that they don't care what fans create based on the IP so long as they aren't trying to sell it or ripping stuff from the actual game. Oh and if you're going to continue to be such a dick to modders who work for free, you aren't going to be in this community much longer.

Nothing in my post breaks forums rules, it is simply my opinion. You post, however, did violate the forum rules through name calling, so you are the one who may not be around so long.

OPTRE had the foresight to pick an IP that wouldn't be an issue so they wouldn't have to pull the carpet out from under the community. My point still stands.

Nothing in my post breaks forums rules, it is simply my opinion. You post, however, did violate the forum rules through name calling, so you are the one who may not be around so long.

OPTRE had the foresight to pick an IP that wouldn't be an issue so they wouldn't have to pull the carpet out from under the community. My point still stands.

Ramsey mate are you here just to pick a fight? cause I dont see how your comments contribute to this particular topic at all.

Sure you can state your opinion that is your right and all that, but does it do any good to anyone to keep up such negative atmosphere?