Sign in to follow this  
thenorwood

Why i love Arma 2, but Arma 3 makes me meh

1 reason.

The futuristic stuff.

It's meaningless and has no point of reference as to how it should be used, unlike the stuff in Arma 2 which we all know from real life.

I played Op Flash and grew to love the AK74 and G36. I played Arma and grew to love the SVD. I played Arma 2 and grew to love the AK107 pso, M4A1 CCO sd, the BTR-90, the T-90, the Mi-24 hind. I played Arma 3 and couldn't even work out what gun is for what purpose. Is it an SMG? Is it an assault rifle? Why is the BMP equivalent not as good as a BMP? Where is the powerhouse that is the BTR-90?

I fully acknowledge that Arma 3 is the better game, but for the reason above, it is the only game in the series that i just don't love.

• Like 3

While I kinda agree... this forum saw, like, thousands of threads exactly like this since early 2013. :D

• Like 1

In October 2011, the Ministry of Defence refused to buy the BTR-90 and did not include them in the list of the state program of armament until 2020, and waived exports for the BTR-90.

Including it would have been as fictional as some of the hardware in Arma 3. :lol: I mean that more literally than it may seem on the face, as so much of the hardware is simply stuff that isn't in US/Russian service and comparatively little is actually fictional. As for your bit about guns... considering that you have the service rifles (all of which have shorter-barrel and UGL variants), MGs, DMRs, anti-materiel rifles (AMRs), there's explicitly only the three SMGs... yeah, I don't buy what you're saying at all.

i agree.

if it helps you can try the addon i made called all the weapons to try solve the same issue for me.

it automatically replaces default weapons with any weapon mods you have loaded and organises them soldiers by side so east get aks, west m16, etc.

not perfect but makes a difference.

This is right up there with the classic "ZOMG I CAN'T GET 60FPS IN MULTIPLAYER!!!11" post as one of the most trite comments about ARMA.

Honestly there's so many mods out there, just go download RHS or CUP and play with the exact same units you played with in ARMA 2 (yawn) 
To be fair when RHS had their first release I thought that's it I'm never using vanilla units again. But I keep going back to them. They're fun, you learn the new weapons, and they're actually really cool.

People bitch and moan about "futuristic bullshit" and yet we have the M-ATV (hunter) in Afghanistan, along with the HEMTT etc, sure you don't have your M4 but again if you want that same old boring crap, just download one of the plethora of M4 addons.

• Like 1

I had the same feeling about futuristic stuff with you until i actually played the game.And then realise they're not futuristic at all,most of the equipment and vehicles are in service now by different countries.They're more like modern stuff and less futuristic!

It's most funny, because what you generally see in a3 is not futuristic. At highest it's modern. I mean, really. What about optical camo and all this thermo stuff, etc? A3 should be full with that, yet we see nothing even remotely similar.

arma 2 is a unplayable brick compared to A3

• Like 3

It's most funny, because what you generally see in a3 is not futuristic. At highest it's modern. I mean, really. What about optical camo and all this thermo stuff, etc? A3 should be full with that, yet we see nothing even remotely similar.

TL;DR: Arma 3 is actually behind the times, as are people's misconceptions of "modern"...

There are many reasons I prefer A2/OA over A3. Content that isn't available for A3 and only found for A2. Huge amount of terrains for A2/OA, plus of course the units, equipment, vehicles etc. etc. (that all work correctly).

But the main reason I play A2 over A3, even above the much needed player/group made content I need to play the game, the way I want too. Is because I love A2/OA and the dlc's. Simple as that really.

Its nothing to do with the setting, that's easily changed, its the feel of the game. That's it really.

• Like 2

But the main reason I play A2 over A3, even above the much needed player/group made content I need to play the game, the way I want too. Is because I love A2/OA and the dlc's. Simple as that really.

I feel the same way.  It's not that I dislike A3, which has the better engine.  It's just that A2CO + DLC are so damned good.  Much more official SP content is key for me.  And A2CO has mods such as CWR2 and Arma Rearmed 2* that have allowed me to immerse myself in BI content for years, and which are obviously not available for A3.  And don't forget Eagle Wing.  Time for Moricky to get back to mission making, for which he has abundant talent.

A2 DLC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  A3 DLC.  Not even in the same ballpark.

------

* And now there is this AWESOME new pack of OFP missions ported to Chernarus.   I HIGHLY recommend playing this.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187086-ofp-classic-a2oa/#entry2960684

• Like 4

Well, that's because A2 DLCs are real mission packs, while A3 DLCs so far are 2 helicopters and a bunch of new weapons.

While saying that, I too would wish for more singleplayer DLC content.

• Like 1

Well, that's because A2 DLCs are real mission packs, while A3 DLCs so far are 2 helicopters and a bunch of new weapons.

While saying that, I too would wish for more singleplayer DLC content.

I prefer arma 3 design - I rather have engine improvement (Heli Advanced flight model, firing from vehicle,

bipods, refined hitpoints system, slingloading) then pure content.All above were part of DLCs (despite features free,

content is paid)

• Like 2

I prefer arma 3 design - I rather have engine improvement (Heli Advanced flight model, firing from vehicle,

bipods, refined hitpoints system, slingloading) then pure content.All above were part of DLCs (despite features free,

content is paid)

I agree and the CUP team is doing a hell of a job bringing the A2:OA content to A3!

/KC

• Like 1

content is paid)

One doesn't rule out the other. Usually mission designer aren't working on engine features. What BIS could do, is to offer pure misson pack DLCs which only use the existing assets and mechanics. You can play them if you own the DLC, and if you don't own the DLC it doesn't do any harm to you either.

• Like 1

bipods, refined hitpoints system, slingloading) then pure content.

It's a terrible approach and the only reason BI can afford it is because it has a modding community that will eagerly do their work for free.

The things games are bought for is the interesting gameplay/story and DayZ mod had proven that majority of players will tolerate even the most terrible issues if there's interesting gameplay, and, as we all know, vanilla Arma 3 lacks both of these crucial components. There is no interesting missions and the content is boring, inconsistent and average quality at best.

Nobody really cares about engine improvements. That campaign will not receive a whole new non-linear plot just because you can shoot from the back of a truck. Nobody really cares about whether you can deploy weapon or not. That little mission isn't going to become more interesting and immersive just because you can now rest your weapon. All these fancy technical things are great but they aren't the reason why people buy games.

• Like 2

Nobody really cares about engine improvements. That campaign will not receive a whole new non-linear plot just because you can shoot from the back of a truck. Nobody really cares about whether you can deploy weapon or not. That little mission isn't going to become more interesting and immersive just because you can now rest your weapon. All these fancy technical things are great but they aren't the reason why people buy games.

Theres terrabites of wasted internet on this forum of people requesting those very improvements from way back in Arma 2 days, and all those engine improvements are not great they are friggn awesome! ive never cared for BIS campaigns/missions, its just me, the voice acting alone grates me.. i rather play other games for immersive story telling, imo im just happy for BIS to make more assetts for mission makers, especially more diversity in the dress area, mods are great but its nice not to rely on them for mission making, if game making were a race then BI are definitely the turtle, which is not a bad thing per se.

As for the OP well thats fine, i was always on the fence with both titles but but Arma 2 has been removed from the harddrive now, Arma 3 is just too slick now, especially with the introduction of Eden, i still find Altis to be one of my favorite maps, the only thing that really let this game down the most  imho were those helmets... ohh those fckn helmets, why!!? :)

I feel the same way.  It's not that I dislike A3, which has the better engine.  It's just that A2CO + DLC are so damned good.  Much more official SP content is key for me. 

A2 DLC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  A3 DLC.  Not even in the same ballpark.

BIS CEO:

"The library of content present in Arma 2 is simply overwhelming, and in hindsight might not be commercially justifiable for a single game."

Theres terrabites of wasted internet on this forum of people requesting those very improvements from way back in Arma 2 days, and all those engine improvements are not great they are friggn awesome!

There is but I think that all those people haven't bought the game because they wanted a great engine. All those complaining people wanted a great game and the engine was just something that was making Arma 2 not-so-great. It seems that BI have learned its lesson but now we have to deal with another extreme - a game with a good engine and total lack of content that could put this marvelous engine to a good use.

Sure, the engine improvements are awesome but because of lack of non-fictional and consistent content Arma 3 is unimmersive and simply boring. Wanna play in historical range from '80s to 10's as Russian Spetsnaz? Taliban fighter? US marine? East-European guerilla? Well, too bad, here's generic gun and generic vest with US flag slapped on it, now go fight those Middle Eastern men with strange helmets armed with random weaponry. Cold War? Op Desert Storm? Iraq war? Afgan war? All these small conflicts that spawned in the East Europe after the collapse of Soviet Union? Never heard of them, here's some fabricated generic conflict between generic factions over an empty island.

• Like 1

Sure, the engine improvements are awesome but because of lack of non-fictional and consistent content Arma 3 is unimmersive and simply boring. Wanna play in historical range from '80s to 10's as Russian Spetsnaz? Taliban fighter? US marine? East-European guerilla? Well, too bad, here's generic gun and generic vest with US flag slapped on it, now go fight those Middle Eastern men with strange helmets armed with random weaponry. Cold War? Op Desert Storm? Iraq war? Afgan war? All these small conflicts that spawned in the East Europe after the collapse of Soviet Union? Never heard of them, here's some fabricated generic conflict between generic factions over an empty island.

I think a lot of the reasons for "Generic Future Setting 2035" have been covered extensively on these forums over the past 2-3 years, so lets just be thankful the mod-scene ("This ain't a scene, its a god damn arms race") has us covered for the WWII - Present Day front :)

• Like 3

One doesn't rule out the other. Usually mission designer aren't working on engine features. What BIS could do, is to offer pure misson pack DLCs which only use the existing assets and mechanics. You can play them if you own the DLC, and if you don't own the DLC it doesn't do any harm to you either.

I have suggested/begged for official BI A3 mission packs with immersive, story-driven playable content for years now.  I would lay down serious clams for such packs, no questions asked.  BI could release something like Final Doom, including Master "levels."  ;)  It's all about the story and missions, man.

Final_Doom_Coverart.png

There is but I think that all those people haven't bought the game because they wanted a great engine. All those complaining people wanted a great game and the engine was just something that was making Arma 2 not-so-great. It seems that BI have learned its lesson but now we have to deal with another extreme - a game with a good engine and total lack of content that could put this marvelous engine to a good use.

Couldn't agree more. And this is why I use A3 mainly as addon browser so far. But when I want to play a good game - I fire up A2. The number of content for this game is just overwhelming (and even now some new stuff is being released, or updated like CWR2 mod). That doesn't mean that I don't like A3 of course - I just don't find too many addons that I would be interested in playing with. But let's hope that it will change, and this new year will bring us some new stuff, and make A3 really shine.

BIS CEO:

"The library of content present in Arma 2 is simply overwhelming, and in hindsight might not be commercially justifiable for a single game."

Yep, I am aware of that quote.  Not good.  Another BI dev said that people were "spoiled" by A2CO + DLC.  He was right.  

Food for thought: what if BI hadn't bothered with Challenges, Karts, and Time Trials, and had focused on combat scenarios instead?  Hmm.  <_<

• Like 1