The model is absolutely stunning! What do you use to create this model?

Base model was bought from a 3d artist on turbo squid. Base model can be referenced by the first wip pictures, and NightIntruder did everything else with 3ds max

Thanks river! It's better than nothing, although it still does not answer the question regarding real load capabilities. I read the Knight couldn't lift max rated cargo due to degraded engines performance and that's most noticeable in hot, humid climate. That's why it usually transported 10-12 fully equipped soldiers although was capable of 25, according to the SAS. More comprehensive data would be very welcomed.

Far away from our country ;) I saw that CH-46 transported a lot of cargo and trust me it was weight not only 10-12 fully equipped soldiers, they flown at about 3000 to 3500 meters over mountains with our boxes from Amazon making a lot of smiley on our faces.

The same like this one:

http://lignesdedefense.blogs.ouest-france.fr/media/00/00/3570737685.jpg

Here is very short data: http://www.colheli.com/operations/our_aircraft/columbia_107-ii/

Far away from our country ;) I saw that CH-46 transported a lot of cargo and trust me it was weight not only 10-12 fully equipped soldiers, they flown at about 3000 to 3500 meters over mountains with our boxes from Amazon making a lot of smiley on our faces.

The same like this one:

http://lignesdedefense.blogs.ouest-france.fr/media/00/00/3570737685.jpg

Here is very short data: http://www.colheli.com/operations/our_aircraft/columbia_107-ii/

We are trying to acquire a natops manual for this bird so we can get it as accurate as possible. 

• Like 3

CH-46D is 1000 pounds MGW heavier, equipped with three weapon stations plus additional ammo boxes, has 3 more crew members and additional fuselage armor in comparison to civil Vertol BV-107 while having the same type of engines. You should also notice lack of ramp doors on the one at the picture above and those weighted considerable. Rough calculations give me numbers like 2200-2500 lbs of additional weight of CH46D (don't count the ramp) and it's like those omitted 10-13 troops that cannot be transported onboard Battle Phrog. My doubts are still valid, I'm afraid, and that's why we need the NATOPS manual but thanks for your input Jacd! It always nice to meet a guy who flown that famous chopper :) I flown it twice or so and was very excited every time I did it. 

• Like 1

Just to keep everyone up to date with this mods progress, we just started UV unwrapping and its possible it might take up to 2 weeks or even longer because of how complex this bird is. Once this is done, know that we have gotten over a big speed bump as this is new to the team. In the meantime, scripts will  be developed as the model is unwrapped and then textured. Updates will be given when big stepping stones have been reached. Thanks for all the support and help we have been offered with this project! 

• Like 2

CH-46D is 1000 pounds MGW heavier, equipped with three weapon stations plus additional ammo boxes, has 3 more crew members and additional fuselage armor in comparison to civil Vertol BV-107 while having the same type of engines. You should also notice lack of ramp doors on the one at the picture above and those weighted considerable. Rough calculations give me numbers like 2200-2500 lbs of additional weight of CH46D (don't count the ramp) and it's like those omitted 10-13 troops that cannot be transported onboard Battle Phrog. My doubts are still valid, I'm afraid, and that's why we need the NATOPS manual but thanks for your input Jacd! It always nice to meet a guy who flown that famous chopper :) I flown it twice or so and was very excited every time I did it. 

Those Columbia helicopters are also reworked airframes and not an abused, mid-deployment-life airframe where the engines are getting worn out by the sand. 

NightIntruder, the NATOPS isn't technically releasable, but that doesn't mean data can't be extracted from it.  I may be able to download the latest version at work next week, if you're interested.

• Like 2

Those Columbia helicopters are also reworked airframes and not an abused, mid-deployment-life airframe where the engines are getting worn out by the sand. 

NightIntruder, the NATOPS isn't technically releasable, but that doesn't mean data can't be extracted from it.  I may be able to download the latest version at work next week, if you're interested.

Yes, I am very interested. It does not matter much which version you'll be able to DL, and honestly speaking as far as technical/engineering stuff is considered, I found out that manuals from 60-70s are often more comprehensive in this respect. If you don't have anything against it, I will send you PM with request for specific data from NATOPS that would be helpful for us. Thanks, we really appreciate your help!

Just a quick update,UV un wrapping is about halfway there so stay tuned! This project is still moving along pretty quickly considering the small team we have. Once the UV unwrapping is complete, we will be able to start making our textures! So look forward to that even though it may take some time. 

• Like 3

UV unwrapping is basically/VERY close to complete!!!! This was a major step!! I included a pic of one section just for the heck of it. Texture work is starting!!

Alpha: This could change anytime, the mod will be released when its done, but right now we are thinking around 3-4 weeks for the simple versions alpha. But please, do not have a mindset of that being the release as anything could happen from here until then and who knows, this may take 4 months to complete (Lets hope not haha) 

Anyway thanks for all the support guys! 

2m06xbx9Gar6X18sJKxRq64SI3qn5QZXQPoESZwX

• Like 5

absolutely sexy looking 

Good job and good luck!

Thanks, NightIntruder has a talent!

• Like 1

Thanks, NightIntruder has a talent!

I wish I had it! It's just hard work at the moment, trial and error way more than a knowledge based one. Honestly speaking, it's a very first time I do unwrapping and texturing at such a scale (whole complex model). But thank you all for kind words!

• Like 1

Hey everyone! Just an update, we have run into a couple hiccups with UV unwrapping and mapping so texturing has not started but it will this weekend, and when you see this screen shot and are familiar with UV unwrapping and what not you'll understand what patience and effort is needed for this as this model is extremely complicated. 

AuBbedz2D6GrUZPuzPajGahya8EplW1_E5y5dtPD

QkpLhyqlphQbzBGxsRip5oYGkxs5Misi64rzYMOK

Thanks to NightInturder truly loving this bird and putting hours and hours into this, the project is still well under way so expect more updates next week. This stuff takes extreme patience to do guys. Anyway, thanks for all the support!

• Like 5

CASEVAC version wasn't considered, however it's big project so it might change. We've been working on the project for three weeks so far and still significant amount of time is needed to finish the project. So, everything depends on workload and time required to make things already planned. So answering directly to your question - perhaps it will happen but not within initial releases. Thanks for the idea and your interest in this project!

Just to keep you all up to date, I've uploaded two renders of texturing work. Knight got skin stringer lines and was sprayed with USMC camo paints. Some initial effect you can see on renders below.

Jy952tjscVZZTOFcyZz5HPLJs0tVSCsfBpLjfoZh

ZMIielkAjLi0UwhGDojq1tQnjDlWABpTRarKUsQz

• Like 4

We called them in AFG "Baby Chinook", I know in english should be Chinook's Baby but both name are very fitting for this one :)